No AAC passthrough!
i have just installed Raspbmc and noticed there is NO aac passthrough option as there is in my htpc setup both running latest frodo software
my amp is capable of ALL decoding so a really just want everything passed through untouched

is this a raspberry pi, xbmc or rasbmc issue?

thanks
please do a search before you post next time
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=148704
(2013-04-07, 09:27)rikardo1979 Wrote: please do a search before you post next time
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=148704

Isn't that thread about AAC decoding rather than AAC passthrough/bitsreaming? I'm guessing the OP has one of the few amps that does AAC decoding?
Thanks guys and yes my amp does AAC so as said I just want it passed through
Problem is the option to do that is missing in the raspbmc audio menu. In my pc setup the button is here along with the dts option

I was going to try openlec later but would really appreciate knowing if I am alone in this
Read this thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=152691

From Davilla:
"In fact, I did an extensive search to find a reference AMP that did support AAC and found none. So I doubt that none exist and I'm not sure why it was ever added as a passthough format."
"aac passthrough is a classic snipe hunt, it does not exist."
"Without some sort of physical audio receiver that can indeed accept AAC audio format, there is no way to tell. And I highly doubt that any Bose system would be capable of it. In fact.... (wait for it) no audio receiver on the market does."

From warped-rudi
"Looking at the current "Frodo" source code, I'd say that the option "AAC capable receiver" doesn't do anything at all. The only class that honours it is CDVDAudioCodecPassthroughFFmpeg. However, this class is used on Apple targets exclusively and - as seen here - is only instantiated for AC3 and DTS."

So, AAC passthough doesn't work on xbmc on any platform and is supported by virtually no TV/receiver.

So, AAC passthrough will never be supported on the Pi.
There is a chance multichannel PCM will be added at some point, allowing 5.1 AAC to be decoded on ARM and output as 6 channel PCM,
but it's not a priority (but obviously far more useful than AAC passthrough).
ok i done some more testing on my htpc setup and it appears i have boobedBlush
i have confused AAC support with multi channel. what my amp was seeing is 5.2.1 input instead of the 2.0 pcm when using the Pi
plus i think this only happens when wasapi is ticked otherwise its DD 5.2.1 from which i understand the Pi will not do with a ACC 5.1 signal?

so can i conclude that the htpc is actually doing something to send it out multichannel lpcm which the Pi wont? and neither will it convert it to DD?

sorry for the confusion guys but i have a lot of AAC files and was hoping to use the Pi instead of the htpc. I also have a Samsung BD player which happily outputs multichannel when i select bypass in its menu

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No AAC passthrough!0