• 14(current)
[i.MX6] XBMC running on Freescale SoC's
Hi heemid

If the price is a major factor and if you mainly care about the HDMI interface and if you are able to mod the GK802 to solve the big overheating issue, then you are perfectly right : Go for this device. At 70$ you can have a fully working iMX6Q + USB Ethernet (100mbps) shipped to the US and you will not have another iMX6Q device at this price (beside you have a usdcard and a power supply for this price !)
Clearly wandboard or utilite or udoo cannot compete with the GK802 price.

Yet, it is a little unfair as the products are different : For instance, if we have a look at wandboard : First you have additional chipsets (A real gbps Ethernet device, additional analog sound, spdif), you also have more memory and you also have headers on which you can plug additional boards. You also have Host and OTG USB interfaces which can be used at the same time (contrary to the gk802). Not to mention a real efficient heatsink "out of the box" which is the least a customer should expect...
The same for utilite, of course if you compare 219$ to the gk802 price then you conclude that utilite is really expensive but when you have a closer look at the box and the features then you understand why the prices are not the same.
So you pay more for other products which are not really overpriced...

As a general conclusion :
the GK802 is definitively very very good regarding its price (But to my mind it is not acceptable to sell a product with such an overheating issue)
If you want gpbs ethernet or spdif or a serial link without opening the device or you don't want to mod your device by yourself then you should have a look at other products...
New CuBox-i (from makers of CuBox) uses i.MX6 in single/dual/quad varients and includes ethernet. Given its the same SOC as GK802, it should be a easy transition for this port.

http://cubox-i.com/
(2013-09-04, 15:12)juggie Wrote: New CuBox-i (from makers of CuBox) uses i.MX6 in single/dual/quad varients and includes ethernet. Given its the same SOC as GK802, it should be a easy transition for this port.

I was thinking the same thing, Stephen do you have any low down?
Hi guys,

You are right : XBMC would be an easy port for cubox-i and this device seems to be a very good home theater product.
I may be given the opportunity to work on it as an early access developer. If it happens then I will take care that you have access to my latest devs on iMX6 XBMC for this device...

Regards
Stephan
Hi wolfgar!

Firstly, congratulation for your achievement! I'm writing cause I haven't found info about the refresh rates with iMX yet. Is 24hz, 23.976Hz, etc working?
What is the limitation of these chips in htpc point of view? Could you summarize it in some lines, please?

Thanks a lot!
(2013-09-04, 15:12)juggie Wrote: New CuBox-i (from makers of CuBox) uses i.MX6 in single/dual/quad varients and includes ethernet. Given its the same SOC as GK802, it should be a easy transition for this port.

That new CuBox-i really looks great on paper, but I will never buy another product from SolidRun due to the horrible support that they had / have for the original Cubox. They made a lot of promises that they just did not keep, like an Android image, upstream XBMC support, and more.

Even though a bit pricy, the original CuBox hardware had so much potential upon initial release, but SolidRun as a company offered poor customer service and very bad software and community support, with close to no communication from the companies employees.

Plus they ship their products from Israel so most their customers end up get their their packages stuck in customs and have to pay additional local taxes and handling charges, and if you have to return a faulty product for repair you have to pay high shipping costs.
Hi Hedda,

You seem to be really disappointed by the original cubox. I cannot tell as I don't know about it nor about solidrun support...

On the paper at least the cubox-i seems to be an interesting product and solidrun seems to prepare a SDK and to open their box.
Of course it is not a substitute for a ready to use solid software offer but it is, at least, appealing for developers who like to hack with such products...

Anyway we are moving out of topic from this thread...

So let's focus on XBMC dev for iMX6 and let me announce here that I have just released a new image...

Regards
Stephan
(2013-09-05, 12:06)pszab Wrote: Hi wolfgar!

Firstly, congratulation for your achievement! I'm writing cause I haven't found info about the refresh rates with iMX yet. Is 24hz, 23.976Hz, etc working?
What is the limitation of these chips in htpc point of view? Could you summarize it in some lines, please?

Thanks a lot!

Hi, I will try to write a post on my blog to summarize the imx6D/Q capabilities as a HTPC when I will have all the features I want (and have been able to test all of them.)

By the time, the most valuable and accurate data are in fact in the iMX6 rationale manual.
You can download it from here
Do not try to read everything as it is not a document for end user but it is worthy to read the paragraphs "overview" and "features" of chapters :
- HDMI (chapter 33)
- SPDIF (chpater 58)
- VPU (chapter 68)
Don't be afraid by the big low level document. The paragraphs of these 3 chapters I mention are less than 10 pages and you have the real specifications and capabilities of this soc...

Regards
Stephan
I opt for a topic title change Wink

[i.MX6] XBMC running on Freescale SoC's
Hi j1nx

I fully agree with this title change !
I don't think I have rights to do it, could you take care of this ?
Thanks a lot

Stephan
(2013-09-06, 23:03)wolfgar Wrote: Hi j1nx

I fully agree with this title change !
I don't think I have rights to do it, could you take care of this ?
Thanks a lot

Stephan

I have changed it Smile
More A10/GK802/I.MX6 stuff on my blog
Thanks a lot !
It is obviously more appropriate...
The armhf build is very smooth. I have runned wolfgar(Stephan)'s rootfs on my GK802 with a 4.0.0 kernel for GK802. I am using a heatsink mounted on the cpu as the default cooling of the GK802 is terrible.
The temp was always below 70.

hste
Hi hste,

Thanks for your feedback
It is definitively very good news for gk802 owner and it is also coherent with my conclusion after utilite test (this device also uses aluminum case as heatsink).
In fact the main issue with gk802 is very probably the heatpad : So using directly a heatsink on the cpu really improves the behaviour and is the way to fully take advantage of this device.
I wonder whether another better heatpad would enable to continue to use the case as heatsink...

Regards
Stephan
(2013-09-07, 23:06)hste Wrote: I have runned wolfgar(Stephan)'s rootfs on my GK802 with a 4.0.0 kernel for GK802.
Hi everyone,

I have a GK802 and I'd like to test out Stephan's latest image, but by reading the thread I couldn't understand if there are further steps I need to take after burning the image to my SD card (e.g. update the kernel).

Cem
  • 14(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[i.MX6] XBMC running on Freescale SoC's4