• 26(current)
[i.MX6] XBMC running on Freescale SoC's
(2014-02-04, 10:48)binauchda Wrote: Thanks Stéphan, I installed your version on Utilite (Dual) with SSD. And I'm impressed how quick it boots. The menu interacts also very quickly. I'm coming from using Rasbmc, so this is a good improvement. Thanks for your great work.

A few questions though (not really mx6 related):

- The NFS shares are not mounted automatically on startup. Even though I have the correct entries in /etc/fstab and a manual "mount -a" does mount all shares.
- Reboot doesn't seem to work (either via menu, or via console / ssh).
- Somehow I managed to configure the playback speed of my videos to x2 as default. I am currently unable to switch back to "normal speed". Even after rebooting XBMC plays the movies with fast speed.

Do you have any ideas / tips for the above issues?

Thanks,
Stefan

Regarding the too fast playback speed: I noticed that this only happens when I select HDMI as audio output device. When switching to some other device (e.g. analog) video playback speed is normal.

Is this a known problem? Any idea how to fix this with HDMI as audio output device?

Thanks,
Stefan
Hi,

@binauchda,
- For NFS, I think you should edit /etc/init.d/mountnfs.sh and change
mount_nfs=no
to
mount_nfs=yes
- You are right, Reboot is broken for now sorry : I have to check why...
- I use XBMC on my utilite in this specific configuration (audio HDMI output) and can't witness this 2x speed issue you report...
Can you use copy/paste online tool to sublmit your xbmc.log when it happens ?

Regards
Hi aplund

I also use the reference BSP 3.0.35_4.1.0.
It is the most recent official freescale BSP. I guess the next BSP will be based on 3.10 (according to their git)
Some very interesting work is happening upstream but I am unsure you can already have proper GPU/VPU behavior with it.

Have you tried a reference image (geexbox for instance) ?
Regards
(2014-02-05, 03:11)wolfgar Wrote: Have you tried a reference image (geexbox for instance) ?
Not as yet. I need to buy another SD card to make this more convenient. I'll see how that goes.
Hi MK01

Can you precise : your target, your distro, and your liveTv plugin please ?

Regards
Stephan
(2014-02-05, 02:59)wolfgar Wrote: Hi,

@binauchda,
- For NFS, I think you should edit /etc/init.d/mountnfs.sh and change
mount_nfs=no
to
mount_nfs=yes
- You are right, Reboot is broken for now sorry : I have to check why...
- I use XBMC on my utilite in this specific configuration (audio HDMI output) and can't witness this 2x speed issue you report...
Can you use copy/paste online tool to sublmit your xbmc.log when it happens ?

Regards

Regarding NFS:
No. Changing /etc/init.d/mountnfs.sh didn't solve this issue. What I did was to add this to /etc/rc.local:
---
sleep 20
/etc/init.d/mountnfs.sh
---
Not elegant but it works. Seems that ethernet needs quite some time to come up on this board. Without the sleep this doesn't work either.

Regarding playback speed with HDMI audio output:
Please find the log here:
http://pastebin.com/hVuDK5UR
In this log you will find first the normal speed playback via SPDIF starting at 10:09:02. And later the playback via HDMI starting at 10:11:20.

Hope this helps. And please let me know if you need anything else to debug this issue.

Thanks,
Stefan
(2014-02-05, 03:16)aplund Wrote:
(2014-02-05, 03:11)wolfgar Wrote: Have you tried a reference image (geexbox for instance) ?
Not as yet. I need to buy another SD card to make this more convenient. I'll see how that goes.
OK. So I tried out geexbox and it seems that the issue I have with mpeg2 playback being purple is gone, but h.264 is not working at all. Also audio playback is not working either. So somehow my self built arch linux system is more functional.

The md5sums I have for the vivante drivers don't match that of geexbox. I've checked against the package distributed by freescale and nothing has changed from my install. So I don't know what's going on there. The geexbox library files seem to be bigger too!

This is what I have on my self-built system:

$ md5sum /usr/lib/libEGL-fb.so
795cf36fa1aa26f86019c52c70639e1d /usr/lib/libEGL-fb.so

Are there any options I can enable to try and debug the video playback problems? I've only been playing around with xbmc for a month or two now and am a bit green on it.
Hi binaucha,

Nice that you have a workaround for your NFS mounts...
I wonder why your interface requires so much time to be up but I have tried with my own device and it works fine by simply adding the entry in /etc/fstab without delay. (I have a static configuration for my interface and not DHCP , maybe it explains the different behavior...)

For the 2x speed, I don't fully understand (the decoding is late for sure but why does it behave differently depending on the audio : I don't know) Is it the same with any video ?

Stephan

Hi aplund,

I though the geexbox image was in a better shape : They had an issue with their build bot but have just solved it.
A new build should be available within a few hours here http://download.geexbox.org/snapshots/ge...es.cuboxi/
I think it really deserves a new test...

Stephan
(2014-02-06, 02:42)wolfgar Wrote: Hi binaucha,

Nice that you have a workaround for your NFS mounts...
I wonder why your interface requires so much time to be up but I have tried with my own device and it works fine by simply adding the entry in /etc/fstab without delay. (I have a static configuration for my interface and not DHCP , maybe it explains the different behavior...)

For the 2x speed, I don't fully understand (the decoding is late for sure but why does it behave differently depending on the audio : I don't know) Is it the same with any video ?

Stephan

Regarding NFS mounting:
Yes, I use DHCP here.

Regarding playback speed:
Yes, this faster speed seems to happen with all videos - at least the ones I tried to far (approx. 5, from low-res to HD).
BTW: I have not connected my HDMI audio/video receiver yet. So I can't really tell if audio works at all. I'm just looking at the video's on my PC here to see if everything works as expected.

Any further ideas what I should/could test?

Thanks,
Stefan
(2014-02-06, 02:42)wolfgar Wrote: I though the geexbox image was in a better shape : They had an issue with their build bot but have just solved it.
A new build should be available within a few hours here http://download.geexbox.org/snapshots/ge...es.cuboxi/
I think it really deserves a new test...

OK. I tried the newest development version and things do seem quite good. Audio was not working because it was set to SPDIF which I don't have any connection for.

Not sure why things weren't playing before, perhaps it's because they were paused at the start of playback.

Probably the top problem for me is a kind of tearing in some videos. Framerates here are 25/50fps and my TV is set for 30/60fps by default in geexbox. Not sure what can be done about it.

Other minor issues I noticed were that the video became very jumpy when the menu overlay was being displayed. CPU utilisation wasn't huge, so I'm not sure what's going on there. Also, there is quite a bit of latency in the menu system. It is OK, but after hitting down for the 10th time to reach an option it gets frustrating.

I must have something wrong with my build of the imx-wip branch. That or somehow the freescale gpu/vpu userspace is broken on my system.
@wolfgar

it is XBian, Cubox-i 4pro, tvheadend.
@binauchda

Are you plugged to a DVI or a real HDMI interface ?
If you are faced to DVI, you don't have audio clock and tests are not relevant Tonguelease try faced to a real HDMI interface...

Stephan
It seems that geexbox is using a BSP version numbered 12.08.00 (?). This would explain the difference in the library files. It also seems to use a 3.10 kernel. I cannot see where the freescale patches are applied to it though.

Never-the-less, people have reported BSP 4.1.0 as working, so I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

I've noticed that the purple decoding occurs when ffmpeg is used to decode. When it is the imx player, it just seems very dark.
@aplund,

I have already told you that XBMC has always been developed, tested and used with BSP 3.0.35_4.1.0.
So you have to correct BSP version...
The cuboxi kernel used by geeXbox is not 3.10, it is 3.0.35. Refer to this : http://hg.openbricks.org/openbricks/file...linux/meta

Regarding your issues,
For the purple issue I guess , I know what it is : sorry !
It may be a bug on my side : I am so focused on VPU decoding that I forgot to check sw decoding with ffmpeg Winkà
I will very easily solve that one this evening...

For your dark issue it is a Keying transparency issue.
Do you use pure framebuffer libs and do you configure you framebuffer @16bpp ?

Regards
Stephan
(2014-02-07, 06:09)wolfgar Wrote: @binauchda

Are you plugged to a DVI or a real HDMI interface ?
If you are faced to DVI, you don't have audio clock and tests are not relevant Tonguelease try faced to a real HDMI interface...

Stephan

Thanks Stephan. Yes, I'm plugged via a HDMI-DVI adapter. And additionally via a DVI KVM switch. So you will most likely be right here. Thanks. I'm leaving for a short vacation right now but I'll test with a real HDMI connection soon.

Thanks again,
Stefan
  • 26(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[i.MX6] XBMC running on Freescale SoC's4