Win Initial Setup DLNA Device says File Not Supported
I just installed XBMC for the purpose of streaming my movies to my DLNA Samsung BD-E6500 Blu Ray player. I loaded my files in XBMC, and found the media server through my Blu Ray player. Upon selecting the file for play on the player, I get a message saying file is not supported.

Any suggestions on where I should go from here?
The spec sheet on Samsung's site isn't particularly comprehensive, and you weren't specific about the file type that wouldn't play, but I have that same problem with my Sony devices -- they won't play anything with a Divx video type, saying it's corrupted or unsupported. Of course if I simply change the FourCC from Divx to Xvid it plays fine. It doesn't have anything to do with actual capability, but specific restrictions on what it tries to play. I'm going to guess that it's because they didn't want to buy the license terms from Divx, but Xvid is open source.

So, if the problem file is Divx, try getting a program that will let you change the FourCC, change it to xvid, and try playing it again.
Connect your xbmc directly to your TV. Your bluray player is retarded.
Right, So while my bluray player is retarded is a really helpful,response, I am looking for a little bit more.

The file I am trying to stream is a MKV h264 file with DTS passthrough that I used Handbrake to create. I am able to play the file back using both Mezzmo and Kooraroo with their Transcoding turned off. However both of those Media Servers are giving me an audio/video sync issue. Where VLCPlayer does not have any noticeable issue with sync.

So it appears that my bluray player does support the file format, because those two servers can replay on my player with manipulating the file. I would think XBMC should be able to to it as well. Are there configuration things that might affect this? Anything else I might be able to try?
Ahh details you didn't initially give! I don't know what Mezzmo or Kooraroo are.

I suggest you use something like tcpdump to trace the network communication and see what the differences are.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
There's nothing you can set on the user side. What a lot of other UPnP/DLNA servers do is remux the file into another file container. So while no transcoding is being done (the raw video and audio streams are the same), the container for them is presented as something else, such as MP4. XBMC currently does not do this.
I have similar problem (but with samsung TV). I just bought a tv for my bedroom and I'd like to play the content stored into the htpc/file server located in the family room. I was going to get another htpc because I really love xbmc's interface but after some researching on DLNA actually this can be done without buying another htpc. The samsung tv I got already has DLNA client (samsung called it all share), then I already got wired gigabit connection to my bedroom.

So I enable dlna/upnp on xbmc interface and my bedroom tv detect it. I love I still can browse movies/tv shows by category and sorted just like it did in XBMC. But the problem is it appears only plays movies with .mp4 extension, altough it also encoded with H264 the .mkv files refuses to play, it has the same message as the OP did "File is not supported". The odd thing if I plug USB hdd directly into the TV it can play .mkv fine.

So I tried another DLNA server, first I tried samsung's all share. Somehow I could not get it to work so I uninstalled it. Then I tried plex, it can play all my movies but it transcode all my movies with very low quality stream (maybe only 480p). Very blocky and blurry, then I uninstalled it also. I guess I need to get another htpc after all.

Until I tried universal media server, it streams all my movies beautifully to my bedroom TV! Without re-encoding too! I tried when streaming to the TV the CPU usage barely reach 3%. From UMS logs also does not states any transcoding. But the UMS did not sort my movies/tv shows just like it did on XBMC. I guess I need to live with that at the moment.

Where can I find xbmc's logs so maybe I can see why my tv refuses to play if using XBMC's DLNA?
Thanks for the post tesna, while I know you are looking for assistance, like me with your post, it was helpful for me.

My question for you, is it sounds like you got MP4 working through your Samsung TV. I could live with that. Can you tell me what tool(s) you are using to rip your files/movies? What settings do you use to create the MP4 file? I know you said h264, but what about audio and other video options?
Well, here is the full properties of the mp4 file that successfully streamed to my samsung tv from xbmc's upnp.

Code:
Format                         : MPEG-4
Format profile                 : Base Media
Codec ID                       : isom
File size                      : 2.18 GiB
Duration                       : 1h 55mn
Overall bit rate mode          : Variable
Overall bit rate               : 2 693 Kbps
Encoded date                   : UTC 2010-06-07 06:38:57
Tagged date                    : UTC 2010-06-07 06:38:57

Video
ID                             : 1
Format                         : AVC
Format/Info                    : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                 : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC         : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames      : 3 frames
Codec ID                       : avc1
Codec ID/Info                  : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate mode                  : Variable
Bit rate                       : 2 374 Kbps
Maximum bit rate               : 25.0 Mbps
Width                          : 1 280 pixels
Height                         : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio           : 16:9
Frame rate mode                : Constant
Frame rate                     : 23.976 fps
Color space                    : YUV
Chroma subsampling             : 4:2:0
Bit depth                      : 8 bits
Scan type                      : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)             : 0.107
Stream size                    : 1.92 GiB (88%)
Title                          : xxxxxxx
Writing library                : x264 core 68 r1195M 5d75a9b
Encoding settings              : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=7 / psy_rd=1.0:0.0 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=3 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / wpredb=1 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40 / rc=2pass / bitrate=2374 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=25000 / vbv_bufsize=25000 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:1.00
Encoded date                   : UTC 2010-06-07 06:38:57
Tagged date                    : UTC 2010-06-07 06:44:09

Audio
ID                             : 2
Format                         : AAC
Format/Info                    : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile                 : LC
Codec ID                       : 40
Bit rate mode                  : Variable
Bit rate                       : 317 Kbps
Maximum bit rate               : 336 Kbps
Channel(s)                     : 6 channels
Channel positions              : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                  : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode               : Lossy
Stream size                    : 263 MiB (12%)
Encoded date                   : UTC 2010-06-07 06:43:23
Tagged date                    : UTC 2010-06-07 06:44:09
Use Plex Media Server. It integrates into XBMC, and will play any file type you have...
(2013-04-15, 21:47)Ned Scott Wrote: There's nothing you can set on the user side. What a lot of other UPnP/DLNA servers do is remux the file into another file container. So while no transcoding is being done (the raw video and audio streams are the same), the container for them is presented as something else, such as MP4. XBMC currently does not do this.
I'm pretty sure that is not the case with Play To feature on Windows for ts or m2ts files.
(2013-04-15, 21:47)Ned Scott Wrote: There's nothing you can set on the user side. What a lot of other UPnP/DLNA servers do is remux the file into another file container. So while no transcoding is being done (the raw video and audio streams are the same), the container for them is presented as something else, such as MP4. XBMC currently does not do this.

Yes, Ned already stated that.
Windows does have a video transcoding engine via the WMP12 DLNA media server though I don't know if it gets invoked on play to which is a DLNA DMC (digital media controller) the controller sits between the server and the client so the server might not know when to transcode, at least thats what happens with some Android/iOS DLNA controllers.

Samsung use a custom version of DLNA, in order to work with Samsung TV's your DLNA server must have Samsung compatibility profiles, Serviio, Mezzmo, TVMobili have them which are some of the most popular DLNA servers. XBMC's UPnP servers does not support them at least the last time I tried and appears to be still the case.

Samsung are one of the worst offenders for doing this most of the others like LG, Sony or Panasonic do not need profiles just to connect to the TV, though they may require profiles for accurate media transcoding.

DLNA is not a strict standard it is regularly broken by various vendors, Samsung also bankroll the DLNA Alliance so presumably they get to do what they want.
(2013-12-20, 15:34)Starstream Wrote: Windows does have a video transcoding engine via the WMP12 DLNA media server though I don't know if it gets invoked on play to which is a DLNA DMC (digital media controller) the controller sits between the server and the client so the server might not know when to transcode, at least thats what happens with some Android/iOS DLNA controllers.
it would help if I could select Play to XBMC for file info...

This is from Play using TV
Code:
ERROR: UPNP: CUPnPPlayer::OpenFile - unable to open file *path to ts file*
ERROR: Playlist Player: skipping unplayable item: 0, path [*path to ts file*]

In alpha11 both VLC and TV can't display content from USB flash drive.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Initial Setup DLNA Device says File Not Supported1