Streaming video from a TiVo over network
it was d7o that did all of the work on getting tivo streaming in to xbmp. he then went on to write some directshow filters to play .ty files and stream from tivo in windows. i'm pretty sure he planned to then add tivo support to xbmc when he'd finished getting it working properly under windows. i haven't noticed him on any forums for a while so i don't know if that's still his intention. have any of the xbmc team heard from him recently?

btw, frodo, you can get a .ty file to play with from here. mplayer does play .ty files (or at least it did last time i tried it a few months ago) so it should be possible to play them in xbmc.
ok, i will look why this .ty isnt working
frodo
XBMC Project Founder (Retired), now head programmer of MediaPortal
k fixed it. current cvs version plays .ty files
frodo
heh, that was quick. :d

i'll go check it out when anon cvs has updated.
awesome, now i can stream from the tivo to xbmc using d7o's ccxstream. it's playing really nicely too, i used to get dropped frames when streaming from tivo to xbmp.

thanks frodo!
nice,
remember donations are always welcome!
http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/info_contrib.htm
frodo
Thumbs Up 
(burriko @ mar. 02 2004,20:20 Wrote:awesome, now i can stream from the tivo to xbmc using d7o's ccxstream.  it's playing really nicely too
very cool, it would be great if someone else can confirm this too so we can post in on our project page as supported Smile
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
how can i get a hold of the file(s) so i can test it?
(grenex @ mar. 03 2004,14:57 Wrote:how can i get a hold of the file(s) so i can test it?
xbmc you need so complile yourself as always of course (don't ask for xbox binaries), ccxstream for tivo you can download here (link)
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
great, .ty files do now work for me too!

they play from a local share no problems, fairly smoothly too. sometimes the audio gets off a bit, but a skip forward and back once or twice seems to get it back in sync.

i can also stream from my tivo directly, but only the first time i access it. so for example, on my xbox i go in to the xbms share for my tivo, i can see shows in now playing and play and number of them. if i exit the now showing on xbmc i cannot get back in until i reboot the tivo. rebooting the xbox has no effect. i can play .ty files from xbmp over and over rebooting the xbox or moving in and out of the xbms share and it doesn't affect my tivo at all. my guess is that xbmc will read from ccxstream on the tivo, but then it crashes the ccxstream process, or leaves it in some state that it cannot be accessed until restarted. i will look further in to my version of ccxstream (perhaps it is old) and also see if indeed it stops the ccxstream process or if it locks it up and report back.

one little bug about playback. i have tried turning the deinterlace filter on and off and the result is the same with either settings. it appears that the deinterlace filter is bypassed with .ty files right now.

lastly one thing that would be a great addition to .ty playback support. all .ty files are interlaced. they break up badly when there is much motion. i could be wrong, but i think everyone would prefer to view .ty files deinterlaced since they don't look right otherwise. i think it would be a great addition to have xbmc deinterlace all .ty files by default regardless of the option in the video settings area. that way people who play .ty files would not need to go back and change the setting everytime they played a .ty file and turn it back off when playing a regular noninterlaced file.
ok it appears that ccxstream on the tivo generates and error and then exits. simply restarting ccxstream on the tivo gets it working in xbmc again. the last few lines on the tivo in ccxstream before it exits are here:

listing files
doing dir on''
rootdir: /
listing files
file info: /livetv /livetv
listing files
file info: /nowshowing /nowshowing
listing files
0 is not an object

and that is where ccxstream exits. the version of ccxstream on my tivo appears to be the current version 1.0.15.
i posted two messages to this thread last night, and this morning they were gone! whats going on? 2nd time this happened to me!
grenex,

in one of your threads, you posted something about binaries. that is forbidden.

do not mention anything regarding binaries and where to download or any crap like that please.

ts
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

sorry...my bad

will not happen again. Sad
(gamester17 @ mar. 03 2004,11:48 Wrote:
(burriko @ mar. 02 2004,20:20 Wrote:awesome, now i can stream from the tivo to xbmc using d7o's ccxstream.  it's playing really nicely too
very cool, it would be great if someone else can confirm this too so we can post in on our project page as supported Smile
hey gamester, go ahead and claim this new feature, i just got it working and it's excellent. only issue is file size limit of 2gb (ccxstream limit, not xbmc).
thanks all, including duo for making this happen

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Streaming video from a TiVo over network0