• 2(current)
~1 minute delay when starting XBMC
nokdim Wrote:dont mess with the userdata folder thats all local cache stuff which is probably why it takes for ever to scan since it is trying to build a new image for every episode and show you have to display in the library.

I understand, but theoretically after I deleted all the stuff in the userdata folder, the first scan should have taken a long time, but after things were rebuilt it should've been back to normal. I feel the constant delay, every time I open xbmc, which I feel, unless there is a weird time out issue (like it rebuilds for 1 minute then quits until its restarted again or til its complete), shouldn't STILL be happening. Also I would imagine there would be delays when searching the library if the local cache wasn't rebuilt fully, which I'm not really experiencing.

nokdim Wrote:login to phpmyadmin and drop the MyVideos75 and MyMusicXX db's and let it rebuild those again from scratch.

I would turn off scan on startup off until you get a good working library in the db and turn back on once your db is healthy and happy.

Good advice. I essentially already dropped the mysql db's and started from scratch once, and have since marked all the movies in my 1400 title collection that I've watched so I'm looking to avoid dropping the db completely again, but eventually that is something I'll try if other things aren't working. I will DEF turn off the scan on startup and see what that changes.

nokdim Wrote:cleanonupdate actually deletes stuff from the library that is no longer on disk so if yo delete shows/movies after you watch them it will remove from library saving it time on scan so it should help after the first scan.

I understand what cleanonupdate does and will def run it once, which should help on subsequent scans, but even if the library is clean it STILL takes time and would still add time to start up if it was added to update library on startup. But again running it once is a really good suggestion thanks.

(2013-04-22, 03:29)Dilligaf Wrote: I would suggest looking at your NFS mounts and seeing if they're mounting ok, looks like the delay is when the CFileCache kicks off

Yeah I saw that constant failing of the .actors folders of random movies. Best I can think is that those folders were created after the permissions for the parent folders were set up and somehow didn't inherent the same permissions. I will double check tonight. How would I go about checking the mounts to see if they are ok? They are mounted just fine on the PC, and eventually work fine, but I agree this all strikes me as a weird permission thing or something.

P.S. I also found this thread (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=148833) which seems to focus on sharing an SMB share from NAS, but users there are reporting very similar issues to me. My scan isn't failing completely, like almost all of theirs, but still the issues are very similar...
(2013-04-22, 03:29)Dilligaf Wrote: 13:31:49 T:6508 NOTICE: VideoInfoScanner: Starting scan ..
13:31:55 T:6904 NOTICE: Thread XBPyThread start, auto delete: false
13:31:55 T:6904 NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<--
13:31:55 T:7024 NOTICE: Thread CFileCache start, auto delete: false
13:33:00 T:7172 NOTICE: Previous line repeats 2 times.
13:33:00 T:7172 NOTICE: Thread Jobworker start, auto delete: true
13:33:00 T:6508 ERROR: Failed to open(//Movies/Menace II Society (1993)/.actors) opendir call failed with "NFS: Lookup of //Movies failed with NFS3ERR_NOENT(-2)"

I would suggest looking at your NFS mounts and seeing if they're mounting ok, looks like the delay is when the CFileCache kicks off

@Dilligaf, I went to that Menace II Society (1993) folder on my NAS and didn't see a .actors folder! I then opened a terminal session, cd'ed to that directory again and typed a "ls -a" command and still no .actors. So I think you're on to something there, any suggestions on where to proceed from here?
13:31:55 T:7024 NOTICE: Thread CFileCache start, auto delete: false

I suppose I should've pasted less, here is your delay, it's happening before those other failures. I suspect that the .actors failure is normal as it checked to see IF there is an actors folder.
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
(2013-04-24, 05:36)Dilligaf Wrote: 13:31:55 T:7024 NOTICE: Thread CFileCache start, auto delete: false

I suppose I should've pasted less, here is your delay, it's happening before those other failures. I suspect that the .actors failure is normal as it checked to see IF there is an actors folder.

hahah yeah I saw that, but nobody seems to be able to tell me what that actually means or how to fix it. I thought when you were pasting the extra lines you were implying it was related to those .actors folders. So anyways, any chance you could tell me what Thread CFileCache is, why is it hanging and how I get it to stop?
well I finally did was @nokdim suggested and blew out my databases to start over...again. I dropped both XBMC databases from MySQL and added .bak to both the advancedsettings.xml and sources.xml to take them out of the equation. When I fired up XBMC there was no delay but it kept trying to refresh movies that were supposably not in there. The only thing that worked was deleting the VideoXX db file from the Databases folder inside the userdata folder. Once I did that, XBMC opened with no pause and no videos (or updating).

I removed the .bak from the xml files and opened XBMC back up, still no delay. I navigated to the Movies and TV show sources in Videos->Files and edited/refreshed both sources. After 24 hours, it was done. I turned on debugging and turned off XBMC. When I opened XBMC back up, I saw just the black XBMC splash screen for well over a minute. Here's a debug log: http://pastebin.com/np1qwUQ7 I notice this 1.5 minute jump:

Code:
19:36:04 T:6004   DEBUG: Skin Widgets: Total time needed for all queries: 0:00:13.092000
19:37:35 T:9452   DEBUG: ADDON: Starting service addons.
but have no idea how to draw any info from it.

Anybody have any other ideas what I could try?
So I'm not sure when or even if this is something that changed or if it was always the case, but its def not been fully addressed in my posts. I am, at least right now, only experiencing this 1.5 minutes delay on my PC installation. My ATV2 installation fires up with no problem. Now the major differences, besides the obvious, are (1) since I last attempted to start over from scratch I have not re-installed any plugins/programs back on the ATV2 (wanted to make sure my issues were fixed first). And (2) I have update library at startup disabled on the ATV2 installation. I'll do a bit more digging tonight, but I do know that in the past disabling Update Library on startup didn't fix the issue and at least disabling neither the Artwork Downloader plugin or the Skin Widgets plugin mentioned in the above Debug Log fix the issue. I'll post my findings tonight.
(2013-05-01, 18:29)seth.feinberg Wrote: I'll post my findings tonight.

Well rarely do I get as conclusive results as that. My issue is 100% the "Update Library on Startup". Turning that off made XBMC fire up near instantly (<2 secs on the black splash screen) regardless of what Program/Service Add-ons were enabled. So my issue is with the Updating of XBMC. Does anybody have any ideas for how I can fix this issue? I'd like to be able to Update my library. That seems like a nice feature. Even just updating the library not at start up seems to take forever.
So leave "Update Library on Startup" disabled for now.

Once you are booted into XBMC and have good working advancedsettings.xml file pointing to a good clean/empty db do a manual library update.

It will take a long time depending on the size of your library and internet speed and stability of thetvdb and themoviedb.

Once you get through a good library update run it again and it shouldn't take more than a minute if there are no new items to be added.

Once you get a quick library update < 1min or so you should be safe to enable "Update Library on Startup".

What do you use to download new content? I use SABnzbd and have a script setup so after download it updates the library and I have "Update Library on Startup" disabled on all my machines.
יונתן בן-חיים
(2013-05-03, 17:26)nokdim Wrote: Once you are booted into XBMC and have good working advancedsettings.xml file pointing to a good clean/empty db do a manual library update.

It will take a long time depending on the size of your library and internet speed and stability of thetvdb and themoviedb.

@nokdim, thanks for coming back! Could you speak to this a bit more? I don't quite understand. My advancedsettings.xml seem fine. I dropped the MySQL db, added .bak to the end of both the advancedsettings.xml and sources.xml and deleted the VideosXX db in the Databases folder of my userdata folder. When I opened up XBMC, it was empty. I then took the .bak off of both the xml files and opened up XBMC. At this point it is my understanding that the DB's were created and empty in MySQL and XBMC. Then I navigated to Videos on the Homescreen (which is comprised of solely Videos, Programs and System), then to Files and I see a line for Movies and TV Shows as defined by my Sources.xml. Then I brought up the context menu and Edit Source, picked the appropriate scraper and hit Refresh all paths. Isn't this ostensibly the same as doing a Manual Update? What exactly are you suggesting I do differently?
No that is right set the content and do a refresh which should update the library.

Does your library update once you do that?
After it completes an update can you do a manual update library and how long does that take?
Once your library updates and you reboot without "Update Library on Startup" enabled does it still take a long time?
If you re-enable "Update Library on Startup" does it take a long time to get past the splash screen?
יונתן בן-חיים
(2013-05-03, 18:33)nokdim Wrote: Does your library update once you do that?

I'm near 100% positive it does, but may have some type of semantical misunderstanding of what you mean. After it refreshes all paths for both TV and Movies, my library and database are full of all my Videos and I can watch them (if that's what you mean)

(2013-05-03, 18:33)nokdim Wrote: After it completes an update can you do a manual update library and how long does that take?
Once your library updates and you reboot without "Update Library on Startup" enabled does it still take a long time?
If you re-enable "Update Library on Startup" does it take a long time to get past the splash screen?
What do you mean after it completes an update? You mean after its done refreshing all paths? If so, I will do a manual update tonight with debugging on, then open and paste the log.
Yeah that is right does it populate your db with tv and movie information which it sounds like it does so that's good.

like I said I run Eden and not sure about frodo but I have an option to hide the library update popup on GUI so if you can leave that on so you can see the library update popup progress you can tell when it is done updating the library.
It should take less than a minute to run and watching the popup can tell you how long it takes and when it is completed.
יונתן בן-חיים
(2013-05-03, 18:52)nokdim Wrote: Yeah that is right does it populate your db with tv and movie information which it sounds like it does so that's good.

like I said I run Eden and not sure about frodo but I have an option to hide the library update popup on GUI so if you can leave that on so you can see the library update popup progress you can tell when it is done updating the library.
It should take less than a minute to run and watching the popup can tell you how long it takes and when it is completed.

No I understand this, but you said, "After it completes an update, can you do a manual update" I was asking what you meant by "After it completes an update", did you mean after all paths are refreshed the first time? If so I did that days ago, so I'll run a manual update tonight.
I attempted an Update Library from the Context Menu of my TV Shows folder and what do you know, i experienced a 1.5 minute pause very similar in length to how long the black XBMC splash screen was displayed when Update Library on Startup was enabled and I launched XBMC. I had the spinning blue wheel and XBMC was completely unresponsive. I opened up Task Manager and XBMC was even listed as Not Responding in the Applications tab. After the 1.5 minute pause the "Scanning Movies using The Movie Database" dialog box appeared on the screen and the status changed to Running in Task Manager.

It also still appears to be taking much longer than it did under Eden. And took roughly 5-6 minutes to complete. There were no new files to be added. Here is a debug log:

http://pastebin.com/tXUPiFGv

I noticed the same Thread Jobworker terminating before the delay and the same CVideoInfoScanner start after as I did before:
Code:
17:17:59 T:400   DEBUG: Thread Jobworker 400 terminating (autodelete)
17:19:07 T:5332  NOTICE: Thread CVideoInfoScanner start, auto delete: false

I am completely stumped and will be attempting 12.2, if for no other reason than it seems foolish not to.

Edit: Upgrading to 12.2 did not fix the issue. When doing a manual update there is a 1.5 minute delay before the update start where XBMC is completely unresponsive. after the update completes I enabled Update Library on Startup, shutdown XBMC and reopened it, there was a 1.5 minute delay as only the black XBMC splash screen was shown. here's that log:

http://pastebin.com/XjaYybvM
First off, I'm really sorry for starting a new thread. I detailed the problem in a previous thread, but I've narrowed down the problem since and the previous one seems to have died while my issue persists.

In short: If I have Update Library on Startup enabled in setting, when starting up XBMC, I see the black XBMC splash screen for around 1.5 minutes before the homescreen shows up. If I disable Update Library on Startup XBMC, when started, goes to the home screen nearly instantaneously but if I attempt a manual library update, in the context menu of either TV Shows or Movies, XBMC becomes unresponsive for the same ~1.5 minutes before it "comes back". During the ~1.5 minute unresponsiveness I see the spinning blue circle, I cannot navigate anywhere and XBMC is listed as Unresponsive in the Task Manager. After this ~1.5 minutes, XBMC "comes back", the Library update starts (dialog box in top right corner) and XBMC is listed as Running in Task Manager.

Here are the latest debug logs: http://pastebin.com/XjaYybvM http://pastebin.com/tXUPiFGv

I've notice these 2 lines around what looks like a delay in the log:
Code:
17:17:59 T:400   DEBUG: Thread Jobworker 400 terminating (autodelete)
17:19:07 T:5332  NOTICE: Thread CVideoInfoScanner start, auto delete: false
and
Code:
17:50:00 T:7116   DEBUG: Suspended the Sink
17:51:42 T:8864   DEBUG: ADDON: Starting service addons.
17:51:42 T:8352  NOTICE: Thread CVideoInfoScanner start, auto delete: false
but nobody seems to be able to glean any information from that (at least not to me), just that a delay is clearly present.

I've also noticed that the Library Update goes much slower than it did under Eden but that could be in my head.

This is on a Win7 64bit pc running 12.2 and accessing files on a NAS sharing through NFS with a MySQL db. Every other aspect of XBMC seems to be working splendidly, on this installation and my mac, ATV2 ones. This is driving me crazy. I've blown out my databases and started from scratch 3 times now hoping that "hail mary" would work. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
~1 minute delay when starting XBMC0