Pre XMBC 12.2 bug report -- missing cover art
Wanted to report that album cover art is sometimes missing in this build. An Eden build that scans the same physical library shows all the cover art.

Prior to 12.2 Install (performed on 12.0)
-- removed all Music files from the Music/Files
-- Did a "Clean Library" in System/Music/Library
-- Exit 12.0

Did a default install of 12.2 on Windows 4/13 Build: http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/win3...-Frodo.exe
Windows XP SP3
XMBC.log: http://pastebin.com/sGXqLqfe

Ran XMBC 12.2 from the installer
-- My XBMC is configured to scan for new content on startup. I allowed this to complete
-- Set debug mode on via system settings debugging
-- Added my music library (on a network mounted drive) from the Music/Files
-- Right clicked on the new source and chose Scan Item to Library
-- After scan was completed went to Music Albums to look for missing cover art.

Example of missing cover art
--Album: 1969 Billboard Top 100 Hits
Z:\Music\Archived Music\Compilations\1969-Billboard Top 100 Hits\Folder.jpg
Cover Art in All MP3 Files (can provide if requested). image/jpeg 300x300
--Album: A Black Man's Soul
In Directory Z:\Music\Archived Music\Ike Turner & Kings Of Rhythm\A Black Man's Soul\folder.png
Cover Art in All MP3 Files (can provide if requested). image/PNG 320x31i
--Album: FOREIGNER
In Directory Z:\Music\Archived Music\CAT STEVENS\FOREIGNER\Foreigner - front.jpg
Cover Art in All MP3 files (can provide if requested). image/jpeg 300X297

Happy to try anything different or provide more information.
You need to provide one of those folders (complete with .mp3 files). Typically only a couple of mp3 files will be required to reproduce the fault.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Just for info, I re-scanned my entire music library having moved it to a shared drive. On re-loading thumbs for about 60% of albums on ATV2 and 30% on netbook showed up. I then followed guidance to delete textures.db on both machines and re-scanned and sure enough all showed up. You may have tried this already, if so apologies, but my conclusion is it's not overwriting cache links to those albums you've previously listened to and getting confused with the link to load. For me fewer missing on ATV2 because I'd more recently had to re-install completely and therefore hadn't listened to as many. Once I'd deleted textures.db it took 5 minutes to page-down through album and artists thumbnail views to re-populate cache. (c500 artists, 1100 albums and 15,000 tracks)

Hope that helps.
@PaulWelsh

THANK YOU. I had never heard the guidance to delete textures.db!. I had a textures6.db and a textures13.db in my userdata\Database directory. I renamed both of these and after restarting XBMC things seem to be working properly.
Hmm...given the success I had with deleting textures.db I went ahead and upgraded my Eden box with the 4/16 build of 12.2. This one seems to have similar problems with album cover art even after a delete of textures.db.

Has anything changed with the tag reading in the last few nights builds?
Errr .... you may be going above my pay grade now. If the solution you previously tried worked it suggests something different is happening compared to your original post. May be worth updating that info so people cleverer than me can help. I think there's quite a few posts about artwork moving from Eden to Frodo so may be worth searching those.
Mystery solved. User error!

I didn't realize that the Frodo and Gotham builds were on the same page. I grabbed the latest Gotham (listed as HEAD) build instead of the latest Frodo build. Just reverted back and cover art seems as it should be!
Is there any other option rather than reverting to a previous version of XBMC?

I am running 12.2 and like it. However 90% of my Artist artwork is gone. Not even a thumbnail for the Beatles!

I was running 12.0 when my system crashed. I re-installed with the latest version of OpenELEC (which included XBMC 12.2) and then did an XBMC restore from my backup files. Now I don't have my artwork (only a few, and I'm not sure why those ones, unless XBMC added them after the reinstall).

Deleting the Textures.db file didn't work.

Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks!
After months of frustration this is working for me now. Deleting textures.db seemed to help, but I also removed all my music from the library and "cleaned the database" (somewhere in the settings/music section) and then re-added and rescanned the music. It's been working since 12.2.

Give that a try and if it doesn't work I can try to go back step-by-step in more detail on what I did. I'm thrilled that it works because in general I love Frodo.
(2013-06-03, 15:24)jdhanley Wrote: Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks!

You could try querying your media library for one of the artwork items that doesn't appear, and examining the associated urls. It's possible the urls no longer exist (if they are remote) so you will have to re-scan to pick up new urls. Or the artwork urls refer to network locations on your LAN that are not accessible (maybe because of a bug in the export/import process?)

If the urls do exist and are accessible, then pre-loading the cache (optionally with force) should work. See here for a utility to query your media library (option: jd) and pre-load the cache (option: c, or if force is required, C).
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2013-06-03, 22:23)jpjpjp Wrote: After months of frustration this is working for me now. Deleting textures.db seemed to help, but I also removed all my music from the library and "cleaned the database" (somewhere in the settings/music section) and then re-added and rescanned the music. It's been working since 12.2.

Give that a try and if it doesn't work I can try to go back step-by-step in more detail on what I did. I'm thrilled that it works because in general I love Frodo.

How do I actually "remove" items from my library?

Thanks!

(2013-06-04, 02:00)MilhouseVH Wrote:

Thanks!

You could try querying your media library for one of the artwork items that doesn't appear, and examining the associated urls. It's possible the urls no longer exist (if they are remote) so you will have to re-scan to pick up new urls. Or the artwork urls refer to network locations on your LAN that are not accessible (maybe because of a bug in the export/import process?)

If the urls do exist and are accessible, then pre-loading the cache (optionally with force) should work. See here for a utility to query your media library (option: jd) and pre-load the cache (option: c, or if force is required, C).

I was under the impression that OpenELEC won't let you install or run any scripts.
(2013-06-05, 17:52)jdhanley Wrote: I was under the impression that OpenELEC won't let you install or run any scripts.

There's nothing to install with the script, just download it and then run it. This you can do with OpenELEC, in fact OpenELEC (on Raspberry Pi) is the distribution I use to test this. The thread even details "installation" instructions for OpenELEC users (nothing unusual here, it's just that OpenELEC doesn't include a usable version of wget so download the script using curl instead).
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2013-06-05, 17:52)jdhanley Wrote:
(2013-06-03, 22:23)jpjpjp Wrote: After months of frustration this is working for me now. Deleting textures.db seemed to help, but I also removed all my music from the library and "cleaned the database" (somewhere in the settings/music section) and then re-added and rescanned the music. It's been working since 12.2.

How do I actually "remove" items from my library?

Thanks!

(2013-06-04, 02:00)MilhouseVH Wrote:

Thanks!

So I tried the jd option and a the end I get:
libSets.ERROR: JSON response has no result!
{u'jsonrpc': u'2.0', u'id': u'libSets', u'error': {u'message': u'Internal error.', u'code': -32603}}

When I examine the output, I see many thumbnail images are located on my Samba share on my Samba server. I know this is accessible because that is where all my music is and my music plays fine on my Pi.

When trying option c or C, I get:
FATAL: The task you wish to perform requires that the web server is
enabled and running on the XBMC system you wish to connect.

A connection cannot be established to the following webserver:
localhost:8080

Check settings in properties file texturecache.cfg

I have no idea what this means. I don't have a webserver enabled on my Pi.

Any ideas as to what these things mean?

Thanks!
Internal error isn't good, do you actually have any Sets defined? I'm guessing you ran the jd option without specifying a media class - try "jd artists" or even include a filter (jd artists beatles) to limit the output produced rather than running jd for pretty much everything.

Enable the webserver in Settings -> Services -> Webserver

Once you have enabled the webserver, use the "c artists" option to pre-load just your artists artwork. Replace c with C and specify a filter - a partial artist name - if you need to "force" items into the cache. Enable allow.recacheall=yes in properties to force the caching of an entire media class (or append @allow.recacheall=yes to the command line).
Ok. I enabled the webserver. When I run the script I still get the above error, however.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pre XMBC 12.2 bug report -- missing cover art0