Tvheadend 3.4
Guys, just a short question... Yesterday I've installed Raspbmc on my Pi. After that I've used the usual git command to download TV Headend but it's still version 3.2.xxxxx

Please tell me the source path of 3.4!
Theirs a typeo in the ubuntu install instructions

curl http://apt.tvheadend.orgp/repo.gpg.key | sudo apt-key add -
curl http://apt.tvheadend.org/repo.gpg.key | sudo apt-key add -
I'm a bit confused.

On the site v3.2 is the latest and v3.4 is future, if the page isn't kept updated maybe remove it ?
https://tvheadend.org/projects/tvheadend/wiki/Releases

On github there's a tag for v3.5, well this is a preference but other projects (cough.. xbmc) tags their stable releases only.
Any plans to have Synology builds that include HDHomeRun drivers (since TVHE will not work on the Syno without it)?
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
(2013-05-29, 07:41)Livin Wrote: Any plans to have Synology builds that include HDHomeRun drivers (since TVHE will not work on the Syno without it)?

Depending on your Syno architecture you can compile it your self.
https://github.com/SynoCommunity/spksrc/pull/514
Very nice, but still there is no full EPG support. You don't even think about this? Why? I've asked this many times, every time my questions are ignored... there are only basic epg fields supported, why?
@dhead Had you thought that maybe its a simple oversight? Nobody is perfect.

As for the tagging there is a wiki article that explains our release process. Sorry on phone so don't have link to hand.

Edit: Releases list updated, and the release process link is here

@giaur What specifically are you missing? The epg support should be more complete than it has been in the past but mmv and other tasks were the priority.

As always, patches welcome.

Adam

And yes, I'm in grumpy old man mood tonight!
Quote:What specifically are you missing? The epg support should be more complete than it has been in the past but mmv and other tasks were the priority.
I don't know about dvb-t on other countries, but (in Poland), epg has fields (for each item) not supported by tvh/xbmc:
- Year of production
- Starring (for movies)
- Director (for movies)
- Country of production
- Age allowed (for example, 18, 16. 12 years old)

I can't see any support for this items. There are only Title, Description and Genre supported currently. Also, every TV and STB has support for this epg information. I suspect not all broadcesters in all countries include these fields in their epg - anyway, it's actually standard items I think they should be supported anyway.

Or, maybe they are suppoted somehow? If so, it doesn't work for me. But I can't even see any fields, for example for Year, Starring etc in TVH gui in my browser, so this info seems to be totally ommited.
The problem is that, with the exception of age ( which is processed), these are not standard fields in EIT. What the broadcasters do is make use of the extended event descriptor that contains a set of arbitrary string->string fields. But how these are added is entirely up to the broadcasters, and while there may be some common practices they're are no (to my knowledge) defined standards.

I'm more than happy to include processing of these fields, (in fact if you read the eit.c source you'll find a bunch of #if TODO_ADD_EXTRA, where I intended to add some processing if/when I knew what to process), but I'd need to have some examples of what is in the various fields or a reference implementation from another project. But even then I'm very stretched for time so most likely it would need someone else to take on the task.

Adam
Quote:But how these are added is entirely up to the broadcasters, and while there may be some common practices they're are no (to my knowledge) defined standards.
I think there must be common practices. Because you can find support for this fields in any tv or any STB tuner, even for most low-cost tuners from China. So I think this should be well known common standard.

Maybe it will be enough to analyze epg stream containing this info? Anyway, this is most missing feature for me after switch from tv to xbmc to watch tv.
(2013-06-01, 13:45)giaur Wrote: Anyway, this is most missing feature for me after switch from tv to xbmc to watch tv.

You wanna try living in NZ then. All I get on an EPG is the current programme ang what is coming next due to NZ broadcasting the guide in its stupid MHEG5 format. Unfortunately there are just some things we just have to put up with until our devs get time!!
I have setup live TV in XBMC recently. I'm using TVheadend as the backend with a HDHomerun dual tuner to get the ASTC signal from my TV antenna. Everything is working fine on my setup. However, the raw default recording files I'm getting are *.mkv container in MPEG-2 format. Those files are huge. One hour of recording is taking me aprox. 8 gigs of space on my hdd. It is ok just to watch and delete the recording shortly after that but it is far from ideal if I want to archive those files.

I have looked a little on how to convert or transcode mpeg-2 files in a more space friendly format but I didn't found clear or straight forward instructions on how to do that yet.

So here my questions for those who are more familiar with this:

1-Which applications are your using to get a better format and remove all the ads from the recording? (I'm on linux fwiw)

2-What are the best output format (container, audio and video codecs, bitrate etc...) to keep the best quality with a reasonnable file size.

I would greatly appreciate if some of you could share the scripts they are using or any good documentations on the subject.

Thank you!
You probably want to deinterlace and convert to mpeg4 or maybe resize video. You can use ffmpeg, optionally with some gui (traGtor, WinFF). Handbrake and Avidemux are also good.

However I suggest to not reencode it, you will always experience quality loss.
Thanks!

I will check those apps this evening. Smile
+1 for avidemux, and Handbrake if you have to re-encode. I avoid it for OTA broadcasts if I can, but there are a couple of scenarios in which I re-encode anyway:

1. If the reference frames aren't in the right place, and I want a cleaner cut (much more a problem with H264 than MPEG2) - Handbrake can insert more frequent frames

2. For widescreen movies, the channel DOG frequently floats in black space in the top left. Re-encoding with a manual crop simply strips this away.

3. If I have any pts/dts sync issues that prevent avidemux from maintaining sync when it saves the file - Handbrake fixes sync errors nicely most of the time (as would ProjectX if you're using MPEG2, but it won't work for H.264).

I'd probably partly disagree with giaur on the 'don't re-encode' - in my experience you can shift MPEG2 to H.264 (RF20ish), drop out any audio description tracks and save a good chunk on size without losing anything except time. You'd need to decide for yourself if the space/quality works for you.

As for container... mkv holds anything; while avi and mp4 are probably the default containers for MPEG2 and H.264, they limit you to what audio track types you can store. It depends on how portable you want the files to be: XBMC, VLC and most modern media players won't care one jot, but your TV or similar would if you were to play a file off SD card or over DLNA.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tvheadend 3.40