Linux Switched from Windows to XMBCbuntu, lost HDMI video
Hi all,

I think I need more general Linux help than XBMC help, but you be the judge. Basically, all I want to do is switch my video output from VGA to HDMI (with sound).

I've been using XBMC on windows for a few years now, and I finally thought I'd try XBMCbuntu out instead. Running live on CD looked great - much smoother than on Windows - so I went ahead with the install. After installation completed and the computer rebooted, I lost video signal. My TV says "no signal detected" and I don't even get the BIOS splash screen anymore (Zotac splash screen).

After power cycling the computer and trying everything else I could think of, I found a VGA cable and hooked it up to the computer/TV instead. Looks like XBMCbuntu decided to switch me to VGA for some reason. I find it weird that even my motherboard/BIOS suddenly decided to output to VGA instead of HDMI. I went through the whole install process on HDMI, and video/sound were working perfectly on the Live CD.

I don't want to run VGA + audio cables - I want to go back to HDMI. What do I do? I can't find any way to switch to HDMI output. If it was a laptop I would try Fn+F7, but it's a PC (ZOTAC IONITX-D-E) so I don't know what to do.

The Nvidia control panel thing doesn't seem to detect my TV via HDMI - only by VGA. Beyond that, I'm lost.

1. It doesn't seem like an XBMC log file is relevant here, but I can get it if needed. (Will have to go get the VGA cable from my sister, lol).
2. No screenshots needed IMO. With VGA, everything looks perfect. With HDMI, I get nothing.
3. Version? I downloaded XBMCbuntu 12.00 from the main page last night (http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/XBMCbun...NVIDIA.iso), and did apt get upgrade/update via remote ssh which I believe put me on 12.10.
4. XBMCbuntu?
5. Architecture: i686 - Intel Atom N330 + Nvidia ION (GeForce 9400M?)
6. Install Method: CD
7. GIT Revision - (edit - it's XBMC 12.1 Git: 0d373cc Compiled: Mar 17 2013)
8. (see above)
9. n/a
10. n/a

Thanks

----------
edit-
Got the VGA cable back. I noticed that HDMI was selected for audio output without me having to touch it. Does the computer realize that an HDMI cable is present? My Audio output device is HDA NVidia HDMI 0. Where do I change the video output device? Ugh, if picking the video output is this hard, I'm dreading setting up my PS3 remote and bluetooth keyboard.
Still haven't had any luck with this. Nobody has any info on how to switch to HDMI video?
Try not to plug both cables together. If HDMI is plugged in, unplug vga and vice versa. Especially whne your installing something, failing that idk.

uNi
Originally only HDMI was plugged in - no VGA cable. I was surprised to see video when I plugged the VGA cable, considering the installation took place with only HDMI.

Might install OpenELEC to see what happens before I switch back to Windows.
Your TV is in the correct channel to get signal from HDMI right? Cause VGA and HDMI come in different inputs obviously.

uNi
Commandeered my dad's older Vizio TV and it's working perfectly on it, video AND sound. Now I have to pray that the HDMI output "sticks" when I go back to my TV later.
Woo! Success! It's good to have my HTPC back. I don't know why plugging into a different TV fixed the problem, but it did.

Thanks for the help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Switched from Windows to XMBCbuntu, lost HDMI video0