MySQL Sync (Music on one machine, Videos on another)
Hi All,

I just want to verify that this won't be an issue:

I've decided to go with MySQL library sync between my Pi and my home system. The issue is that I'm not sure which is the "server" and which is the "client" as my music library is on my lapotp (since I take it with me) and my video library is on externals connected to the Pi (no need to carry videos with me).

So, should this be pretty straight forward still? I want to have a synced library that stores watched/unwatched, play count, play position, etc...

Thanks in advance
Yeah it should work, but the files will have to be set up as network shares on each for the other to access them (otherwise the non-local machine will have them added to their library but won't be able to access the actual files because the path will be to a local share that doesn't exist on that machine)

MySQL just syncs the database, NOT the actual files. Both machines must be able to access the files themselves through network shares
With the MySQL setup you have a separate video and music library so you can have a shared video library and not shared music library which sounds like it might be an easy solution for you. This way you can pause video on your laptop and resume on your pi or vice versa and not bother with the music library just leave it on your laptop. Or you can share both but as azrael17 mentioned your pi will need to have a SMB share or some other access to your laptop in order to play the music files if you setup a shared music library.
יונתן בן-חיים
Thanks for the tips, I actually want it more for music (podcasts and lectures) than videos.

Now my next question(s):

1. Logically which machine should be the server ? Or do I do it on both since I am doing video/music independently?

2. Will it be a problem if I make the Raspberry Pi the server with the sql tables but have my laptop with me elsewhere (ie. not on the network) on a given time? Will the info transfer to SQL next time I connect ?
Pick whichever machine that will be always on to be your MYSQL server (I'm assuming the RPi). RPi is also better for the server since it will likely have a static ip, be hardwired, and won't be connecting to other random networks. MySQL is only used to share the database itself, NOT the actual media.
NOTE: MYSQL server should be on at all times, but laptop can be off. But remember when the laptop is off you won't be able to read the files from your laptop...but they will still show in the library.

Then each machine will have to be set up to share the media as a network share which can be added in XBMC (NFS, SMB, etc).

The machine should transfer the next time you connect. I have a laptop on my network and I have troubled booting XBMC outside of my network but no trouble connecting when I'm on my network.
On the laptop, make the MySQL a profile, and then your default profile will be "portable mode": http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...d_profiles
Awesome tip Ned

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MySQL Sync (Music on one machine, Videos on another)0