Win Trying to use VLC as an external player with frodo 12.1
> newman87// Hi,
I'm not very clever with computers but managed with your excellent description get VLC working as an option in my XBMC.
Really nice, thanks a lot for that. Just what I needed.

What I'm wondering thou is if it's somehow possible, by adding some more lines into the xml file, get VLC to open just specific files.
Just as an example ; *.avi = VLCplays it , *.mkv XBMC plays it, or whatever.

Any help with this would be highly appreciated, cheers..
maybe someone can help me.

my intention is not to use vlc from xbmc. i agree that is silly. my objective is to not sufffer periodically garbled playback on certain mkv files. vlc player does notgarble anything.

so i configured it with appropriate ru;es. it plays but it goes into a loop.
(2014-05-16, 20:35)L.A.-73 Wrote: > newman87// Hi,
I'm not very clever with computers but managed with your excellent description get VLC working as an option in my XBMC.
Really nice, thanks a lot for that. Just what I needed.

What I'm wondering thou is if it's somehow possible, by adding some more lines into the xml file, get VLC to open just specific files.
Just as an example ; *.avi = VLCplays it , *.mkv XBMC plays it, or whatever.

Any help with this would be highly appreciated, cheers..

This is the Code for VLC to play only .avi files.....I figured this out with allot of trial and error by just looking around the message boards and the XBMC Wikki for External players......Enjoy.......

<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="VLC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\VLC.exe</filename>
<args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args>
<hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
<hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
<warpcursor>topleft</warpcursor>
<playcountminimumtime>900</playcountminimumtime>
</player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
<rule name="streams" protocols="daap|rtv|rtsp|rtmp|http|https|rtmpe|rtsp|mms|rtp|pvr" player="DVDPlayer"/>
<rule filetypes="avi" player="VLC"/>
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

(2014-06-01, 00:33)rashid420 Wrote: maybe someone can help me.

my intention is not to use vlc from xbmc. i agree that is silly. my objective is to not sufffer periodically garbled playback on certain mkv files. vlc player does notgarble anything.

so i configured it with appropriate ru;es. it plays but it goes into a loop.

This is the code for VLC to play all the file types.....I figured this out as well by various posts on here and the XBMC External player Wikki...Enjoy....

<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="VLC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\VLC.exe</filename>
<args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args>
<hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
<hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
<warpcursor>topleft</warpcursor>
<playcountminimumtime>900</playcountminimumtime>
</player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
<rule name="streams" protocols="daap|rtv|rtsp|rtmp|http|https|rtmpe|rtsp|mms|rtp|pvr" player="DVDPlayer"/>
<rule filename=".*." player="VLC"/>
</rules>
</playercorefactory>
I accidentally posted this but can't delete it.
I know this thread is old, from June 2014, but I'm having trouble setting up VLC as my external player in Kodi (14.2 stable) under Windows 7. First, the userdata location in Windows is \Users\Particular User\AppData\Kodi\userdata (the directories are no longer called xbmc). I have copied the playercorefactory code to the named xml file. I'm not sure if the "hidexbmc" now has to be changed to "hidekodi". Can anyone help me? I'd like to use vlc to be able to record some bits of streams for some artistic compilations - observing copyrights, of course.

I've seen some complex videos setting up a whole lot of external player options, but I'm not sure I really need anything that complex.

Also my difference here is that I'm now working with "Helix" and not "Frodo."

I'd appreciate any help on this.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Trying to use VLC as an external player with frodo 12.10