VIDEO_TS folder structure for The Lord of the rings extended
Smile 
Hi experts! Wink

for the last 3 days (day nd night) I've been trying to import LOTR extended edition into xbmc but it's never scraped correctly. I've read all there is on this topic, but my case is different because:
- i have a video_TS folders on my nas
- I would like to keep the menu structure, so no .mkv solutions are appropiate. This is one of the few movies in my collection that was worth keeping menus, because they are the work of art on their own...

All my other folders are named correctly (movies/movie name(xear)/video_TS/video_ts.ifo) and I don't have any problems with them. File stacking and grouping works fine, so xbmc has created collections for ''series movies'' like M:I, die hard, x-men etc. The problem is of course The lord of the rings collection, namely the movie part which is on 2 discs. Yes, extras are on additional 2 discs, but I know there is a way arround with tv shows import for that, although I haven't come to that since I've been banging my head trying to resolve this.

I've tried renaming folders ''part-'' ''dvd-'', converting video_ts to iso, and then using ''part one and two structure'', importing as tv show with s01e01 and s0102 folders, no success either...The problem is that it imports one part (or none) and then it can't access the other. I'm guessing it would work for the two disc extras since there is no need to automatically reload at the end of the first part. With the movie part it comes to the end of part one and says insert disc 2 and that's it. It even shows 2 movies in the preview, but I cant access the other. That's the best I could do....I'm slowly getting to the point where .nfo-s come into place, right? :-) BUT I really don't want to write all the metadata for the whole collection - it's huge....

So, how do I name the folders - or convert to iso and then rename the folders - that It would automatically import the movies (so it wont mess up on the update-refresh process) for this setup:

\movies\ the lord of the rings - the fellowship of the ring\
disc 1: Special Extended Edition - Part One
disc 2: Special Extended Edition - Part Two
disc 3: The Appendices: Part One- From Book to Vision
disc 4: The Appendices: Part Two- From Vision to Reality

\movies\ The lord of the rings - the two towers\
disc 1: Special Extended Edition - Part One
disc 3: The Appendices: Part Three - The Journey Continues
disc 4: The Appendices: Part Four: The Battle for Middle-earth Begins

movies\ the lord of the rings - the return of the king\
disc 1: Special Extended Edition- Part One
disc 3: The Appendices: Part Five - The War of the Ring
disc 4: The Appendices: Part Six - The Passing of an Age

These are just original dvd names, I know it has to include the name, not just special extended....bla bla :-)

I've used my movies and wmc before with no problem. it showed the three movies seperately, and when I clicked on each one of them, I had and option of choosing disc 1, 2, 3 or 4. I read somewhere in this forum, that xbmc can use xml files created by my movies, but that's probably just for metadata info, not for stacking? And don't get me wrong, I like xbmc so much more I'm never switching back :-)

Thanks for any kind of info.

Matt
Extended cuts dont count for naming and scraping. It all counts as same version.

uNi
I thought so. Ok, I'll forget about extras...BUT how do I combine the two part movie. fellowship part one and part 2? same movie split across the two discs... that is still the main issue.
file stacking (wiki)

This

Code:
disc 1: Special Extended Edition - Part One/

Should look like this

Code:
the lord of the rings - the fellowship of the ring Part1/
I'm slowly giving up...

I already read the file stacking thread before posting...

I renamed the folders as advised in the thread and by forum help, still no success :-) When I used ISO's it downloaded the cover and showed 2 files inside, but I could only access one. If I used video_ts files the ''update library'' didn't even download the movie info... And yes, the files in VIDEO_TS folder are properly ripped since I did all ripping the same way (full disc with not needed audio/ subtitles/). ...and all other (non multipart) rips in _TS folders work perfectly in xbmc...

Are you sure the file stacking works fot VIDEO_TS folders. (maybe it shold be called folder stacking :-) I understand the idea behind staking of .avi or .mkv files, but am not sure if it can load a full menu video_ts one after another... I'm leaning towards the idea that it's most likely some tick that I forgot to add in the settings, but I've gone through that so many times that I even dream about xbmc menu structures... :-)

Any other ideas? My last option is to rip the movie to mkv and then merge the two parts. I don't like loosing menus and a hidden track, but I don't like not seeing the movie even more :-) It would be nice if someone could report a successfull multipart VIDEO_TS merge, so i know it's possible. There are some other multipart discs out there like Spartacus (with kirk douglas) or gone with the wind...there must be someone out there to merge those. Not to mention the north and south series (swayze), Jane EYRE (BBC) and my wife's precious Pride and prejudice (bbc version with c. firth). BBC has several dvd's issued as 2 dvds set - yes technically those are TV series, but each with dvd menu structures. Or their Planet Earth 5 DVD set... Same problem there, because I would like to run them from movies database, not tv shows...

There' s allways an option of copy pasting the xbmc installation folder and sending it to me, ha, ha. I can then just change the file source and everythin works.....

Matt
Oh, come on! Not all at once.... :-)

I've heard about legendary xbmc forum support, but this is just a rumour, I guess...

Anyone? Has anyone been able to play 2 disc VIDEO_TS (full menus) movie at all? Not heard of, but actually play! The way the first disc says insert disc 2, the disc2 automatically starts... Anyone done that with ISOs?

Thanks to all that have any ideas,

Matt
hmmm, I guess filestacking won't work outside of an ISO file. XBMC is looking for two files that go 1, 2, and doesn't even consider folder names.
I've converted video_ts to .iso.

I named the source: movies\the lord of the rings - the fellowship of the ring (2001)\ The lord of the rings -the fellowship of the ring part1.iso and .....part2.iso. I've put the iso-s in the same folder, and tried putting iso-s in a separate ones. The closest thing to working is when they are in the same folder.

In that case it recognises the movie, but can't play it properly. It plays the first disc, stops at the end and that's it. Maybe I should try using commas - lord.of.the.rings.the.fellowship.of.the.ring.part1.iso...

M
Pretty sure they need to be in the same folder, so I'd do:

source: movies\the lord of the rings - the fellowship of the ring (2001)\
The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring (2001).disk1.iso
The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring (2001).disk2.iso

Been a while since I've played with iso files though so will try and take a look at the weekend if nobody gets in 1st with a definite answer.
I've been playing around with this as well this week. I think that this demonstrates a particular use case that's not completely supported by xbmc. In these cases the iso are not just the movies but the full discs with complete menus. The ideal solution is that xbmc would recognise this and provide an option to select which disc should be played after you select the movie in the library. Possibly by adding a part to the file name eg

The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring (2001).disk1.iso
The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring (2001).disk2.iso
The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring (2001). bonus1.iso
The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring (2001). bonus2.iso

for flexability disk and bonus could be changed by the user so more complicated moive boxsets could be easily added to the xbmc library

The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring (2001). foo1.iso
The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring (2001). foo2.iso
The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring (2001). bar1.iso

would display as LOTR Foo 1 , LOTR Foo2 , LOTR Bar in the library in the LOTR sub menu.

These are just my thoughts as to how i think it should work, not how it does work at the moment. If it's helpful i can spend some time making up a few examples of movies that would benefit from this that are otherwise difficult to scrape into the library.
In order for XBMC to recognise anything like that it would be a absolute requirement that this metadata would exist somewhere like online database like like TMDB, IMDB etc, and IIRC it doesn't, so in principle xbmc cannot support something that doesn't exist.

uNi
Thanks, I really appreciate your help.

As far as the other example goes..here's a list of examples that are troubling me:

LOTR - obvious
Spartacus disc1 and 2 (movie spread over 2 discs)
Ben Hur - same
Gone with the wind - same
THe Wizard of OZ - same

And next, that are supposed to be TV shows, but are actually 2 discs movies, since they don't have seasons...

Cranford (BBC) series - 2 discs,
Jane eyre (BBC) - same
Merlin (1998) - same
Pride and prejudice (BBC) - same
Middlemarch (BBC) - same
North and south box - 8DVDs

M
Is XBMC really that different to My Movies? I've had My movies before and there I Just added the movie cover and under add discs submenu inserted as many discs I wanted and named them as I wanted. I saw the cover in the library, but when I clicked on it, it didn't play the movie but showed a submenu (As the one in xbmc that says play from beginning/play from HH:MM) with disc1, dissc2, disc 3...

Is there a way to change xbmc to enable that? I haven't come to that yet, since I've only been using it a month or so. So far I've manage to correct the ''system'' files in AEON skin that didn't play central european fonts (subtitles) correctly - it's an obvious bug, since the default skin has no such problems. And yes, I did change the font to CE in the settings part - but that didn't work either. I've found out that the problem was in the aeon ''language'' file - it had the wrong code (1552 I think instead of 1550 or the other way arround) for the ce fonts....

However, can the program be tweaked, so it can add discs to selected covers manually?
(2013-05-05, 21:12)mattK Wrote: Is XBMC really that different to My Movies? I've had My movies before and there I Just added the movie cover and under add discs submenu inserted as many discs I wanted and named them as I wanted. I saw the cover in the library, but when I clicked on it, it didn't play the movie but showed a submenu (As the one in xbmc that says play from beginning/play from HH:MM) with disc1, dissc2, disc 3...

Is there a way to change xbmc to enable that? I haven't come to that yet, since I've only been using it a month or so. So far I've manage to correct the ''system'' files in AEON skin that didn't play central european fonts (subtitles) correctly - it's an obvious bug, since the default skin has no such problems. And yes, I did change the font to CE in the settings part - but that didn't work either. I've found out that the problem was in the aeon ''language'' file - it had the wrong code (1552 I think instead of 1550 or the other way around) for the ce fonts....

However, can the program be tweaked, so it can add discs to selected covers manually?

perhaps post this in the aeon skin forum if its a "bug" with the aeon skin...I use Transparency! I love it.

But honestly..so much frustration is resolved when you just rip movies into .mkvs especially since you can just append 2 disks films(or more) into a single file...I just ripped a 3d version of the hobbit in 1080p which was originally a 2 disk blu ray...I made it into a single .3d.mkv and its perfect...I honestly don't think a menu (or any amount of submenus) is worth the effort you are investing into this...not to mention the disk space you save with mkvs...but thats just my 2 cents...

That being said I think xbmc works better with .ISOs than it does with a deconstructed folder_ts...try ripping your full disk into an iso and test it, (you may even be able to rip the folder_ts into an iso depending on your software...I use DVDfab for windows) it's worth a try. an ISO would have all the menus and everything you want and it would be a bit easier to scrape...just name it properly and don't worry about things like extended cut, directors cut, criterion collection...none of that is going to show up in xbmc...if you want at the end of your file's title you can do a "xxx.directors cut.iso" or something...and sometimes you can find a poster (or make one) that says that specifically. but don't expect that part to get scraped.

PS. Personally I just put all bonus material into a 2nd or 3rd video track in the mkv file...xbmc doesn't yet support changing the video track, but im sure it will soon since vlc player does.
You guys can have a look here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ght=extras

uNi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VIDEO_TS folder structure for The Lord of the rings extended0