Solved Xbmc crashes upon using 'official xbmc remote app'
I am experiencing a freeze of xbmc only when controlling it via the official-xbmc-remote app. No instabilities if I use the http interface. My box is a standard RiP running an otherwise up-to-date Arch ARM.

I can reproduce this using either package:
*alarm/xbmc-rbp 12.1-1
*aur/xbmc-rbp-git 20130204-1

I get only two lines in the logfile after I connect with the app, and hit 'tv shows':

Code:
17:07:35 T:2972709952   ERROR: COMXCoreComponent::DecoderEventHandler OMX.broadcom.image_decode - OMX_ErrorStreamCorrupt, Bitstream corrupt
17:07:35 T:2919220288   ERROR: COMXImage::Decode HandlePortSettingChange() failed

Here is a complete ~/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log but nothing in there that is a smoking gun to me.

How to produce the error:
*Connect via the app and hit 'tv shows' and then select any tv show from within the menu.

Symptoms:
*GUI freezes.
*If I let the box idle in this frozen state, eventually (5 min or so), it will freeze completely (connection via ssh just times-out).
*If I try to reboot immediately after the xbmc freeze, I cannot reboot the box from a shell (ssh); it simply freezes upon issuing the reboot command; I have to pull the power for a hard reset.

Code:
% sudo reboot
Failed to issue method call: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
Warning: Unit file of reboot.target changed on disk, 'systemctl --system daemon-reload' recommended.

Note that I can use the very same app to control xbmc on an x86_64 Arch box with no instabilities at all so I reluctant to think that the app itself is to blame.

Thanks in advance!
Need help programming a Streamzap remote?
Short version: Update your Pi firmware.

Long version: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=161113
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
MilhouseVH - TY for the link. I recompiled the firmware from git just now and it seems to have solved my problem!
Need help programming a Streamzap remote?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbmc crashes upon using 'official xbmc remote app'0