Newbie: Can't enable Tvheadend HTSP Client in XBMC on Ubuntu 12.10
I can't enable the Tvheadend HTSP Client from within XBMC.

I have scanned these forums and suspect that this may be due to having incompatible versions of some bits of software, but I don't really understand this in any more detail than that.

My current versions of things (as best I can tell are):
XBMC: 13.0-ALPHA2 (info obtained from XBMC system info page).
Tvheadend HTSP Client: 1.6.18 (info obtained from within XBMC - add-ons / PVR clients. Update button is greyed-out).
TV Headend: HTS Tvheadend 3.4~quantal (info obtained from About tab in TV Headend web interface.)

If I start XBMC and go to System>Add-ons>PVR Clients I can see "Tvheadend HTSP Client - Add-on disabled" in the list.
If I click on that and then click on the Enable button, I get an error: "An unknown error has occurred. Add-on could not be loaded. An unknown error has occurred".

I don't understand the update and upgrade process, but I am quickly learning that every time I run apt-get update something will break. Undecided

Hope someone can help.
Welcome to the XBMC forums.

What TV tuner hardware are you using on your backend system?
It's a Kaiser Baas TV Stick dual. (USB, dual tuner.) It has worked well in the past. It's just since I did an apt-get update that it's stopped working.

If I go to the TV Headend web user interface, everything seems to be working fine. For example, if I go to the status page I can see that two adapters are listed, I can see that each one is tuned to a different tv channel, and the green signal strength bars are active and floating around the 70% mark. This suggests to me that the tv tuner stick and TV Headend are both working okay. I suspect it's something to do with the XBMC add-on that is not working. I might be wrong.
you can try updating the htsp client to v1.6.19, or using a stable 12.x build of xbmc instead of a 13.0-alpha build.
Thanks for your help - greatly appreciated. However, I don't know how to update the htsp client. As far as I know it was downloaded as a part of XBMC. How do I update the htsp client as an individual component? And, if XBMC was updated as part of an overall apt-get update process, why was the htsp client not also updated?
you can update the htsp client via synaptic.

also, which xbmc-ppa do you have enabled on your system & have you enabled live tv via the xbmc system-settings?
If you want to use TVH with a Gotham build, you need to use a 1.7.x build of the addon. Try installing this: https://launchpad.net/~wsnipex/+archive/..._amd64.deb
Update on this:

I had to go to Ubuntu 13.04 before Tvheadend would work at all in XBMC. However, now there is no sound (dummy audio output device in Ubuntu) and a problem with the pointer response in XBMC going fast, then slow, then catching up and going fast again, then slow again, etc.

Thanks to all those who have provided suggestions.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newbie: Can't enable Tvheadend HTSP Client in XBMC on Ubuntu 12.100