Linux Audio bit perfect with new audio engine
We use dmix, cause we assume especially audiophile users know what they are doing. Kodi can't configure your Linux for you.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
on Kodi audio settings you can configure a lot of settings. Wrong upsampling is something that I think the product should control.
And I have this same issue even with latest OpenElec, Raspbmc, XBian...

Now I think I disabled dmix, but kodi always outputs 16 bit audio as 24.

access: RW_INTERLEAVED
format: S24_3LE

sound quality still sucks...
Ouh yeah :-) I think we found the king of the audiophiles here, with zero clue what it means to ship a 16 bit signal in a 24 bit sink ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
done
Kodi does:
Input -> decode to 32 bit Float -> Output

The first decode is obviously lossless for all 16/24 bit integer formats assuming a bit perfect decoder (what ffmpeg's decoders are). The next step is "finding" an output sink, so that bit flippers / whatever are totally unlikely. You guessed it, we choose the "best precission" we have there to not loose any values on the output stage. On your setup that is the 24 bit precission format.

Now let's assume the decode to 32 bit and the transformation to 16 bit would be lossless. What would a shipping of those 16 bit values in 24 bit do? Another "altering conversion"? No (!) it would just padd zeroes into the unused bits, while keeping the exact same values the 16 bit sample has. If now volume is applied (happens in 32 bit float step) we even win more headroom for better processing.

The real question that needs to be answered is: Why does my totally expensive DAC sound shitty when it outputs 24 bit? To find that, here is a 24 bit flac for you. If it sounds the very same shitty for you - you really have a driver issue: http://www.lindberg.no/hires/test/2L-106...AT_04.flac user: 2L and password: 2L

If you want further help, post - as always - a full Debug Log when playing that sample.
I think your ironic in ALL this thread is little inappropriate...
Just take almost any USB-DAC(somebody from your friends). Listen some good record(in this case we need 24/96(88.2,192...)). Then try the same record in Volumio or Runeaudio, and then, tsust me, you will trust your ears, that at this moment KODI totally CANT correctly playback files like this... I dont know if is kernel faults or alsa, or something else.. But I know that in other configs we dont have this troubles,.. and you as man who CAN do this, could at least try to help identify the problem...
If this is too difficult for you then there's nothing to talk about. Then just say so:
"I do not want to bother with this"
...and then this 4-year old thred can be closed...
Sorry if I to pressing...
Why are you reviving a 9 month old thread?

Please submit your pull requests at our github.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-09-12, 10:15)nickr Wrote: Why are you reviving a 9 month old thread?

Because nothing change since then....

(2017-09-12, 10:15)nickr Wrote: Please submit your pull requests at our github.

I`m not Kodi Team member...

After week of "hard fight" with this trouble, i`m just choose another platform(I think as everyone who came here for help)....
You are very critical for a 1st time poster.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-09-12, 11:17)taravasya Wrote:
(2017-09-12, 10:15)nickr Wrote: Why are you reviving a 9 month old thread?

Because nothing change since then....

(2017-09-12, 10:15)nickr Wrote: Please submit your pull requests at our github.

I`m not Kodi Team member...

After week of "hard fight" with this trouble, i`m just choose another platform(I think as everyone who came here for help)....

...and for all your hard fight you've posted zero information here that would help the Team Kodi devs to debug the issue you are having.
Note that bit perfect should work perfectly fine in Kodi if your hardware is capable with Linux drivers, if there's problems which turn out to indeed be caused by Kodi then this WILL be fixed if the proper debug information is supplied, and that should always start with a debug log file being supplied of you playing something.
We did even proof bit perfect by playing encoded audio through PCM but I am sure clueless taravasya won't understand what that means. Just another ..... Not worth bothering.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio bit perfect with new audio engine0