[Linux] Wireless won't reconnect after router switch
I'm running XBMCUbuntu 12.10

Wireless configured itself during the install process and worked out of the box.

After changing my access point I found I couldn't connect to anything. Setting up the connection through the network manager resulted in the wireless widget in the lower right hanging on the retrieving an address stage. If I left it for very long, once, it was connected when I came back, but relogging to get back to the XBMC environment killed it. Another time I left it on overnight and the weather information loaded, but the connection was dead, so it apparently connected then died at some point in the past.

To test, I got out the old router - the one it was connecting to without a problem before - and it won't connect to that either. Though curiously, it hangs at the "Configuring" stage, rather than trying to get an address, then prompts me for my password again. This is reliable and repeatable - each router it fails to connect to in different ways; it isn't random. What the hell.

Also, I cannot force it to connect to an unsecured network (either of them). If I turn the encryption off and set it to disabled in network manager, it still asks for a password and won't let me enter nothing.

There has got to be something I can do other than try and re-install?

I'd like to give some log files, but I never enabled the debugging and I can't exactly get the addons now with no network.

Edit:

I had an idea and ran through the install process on the live cd up until the wireless configuration. It connects.

What does the installer do that sets up the connection that network manager doesn't? Or that I'm screwing up in network manager I guess, but there really isn't that much to screw up.
There is no need for an addon to get debugging working on XBMC, but it is not an XBMC problem anyway, it is an operating system problem.

Beyond that, I always found ubuntu to be pretty reliable with wireless and use network manager all the time. Although where the little sucker keeps it's settings, I don't have a clue.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Linux] Wireless won't reconnect after router switch0