Android Cheap Android boxes
I am looking for an xbmc device as well. Was considering the Ouya, but I do not care about the gaming feature at all.

From what I read and researched so far, it seems that Pivos is highly recommended but it does have problems of its own. Is this comparable to Pivos?

G-Box Midnight MX2: http://liliputing.com/2013/05/g-box-midn...-xbmc.html

Comes with xbmc preloaded and its already rooted it seems. Dual core A9 will play 1080p x264 flawlessly right?
The CPU doesn't play video at all. The processor and processor speed has nothing to do with video playback.

I wouldn't trust g-box. I read bad things about them, things that make the Raspberry Pi look like gold.

I don't know what "problems" you've heard about for the Pivos, but I can tell you that the Pivos will have far less issues than any g-box on the market today.

Honestly, Ouya is the best of the bunch right now.
(2013-05-11, 05:36)Ned Scott Wrote: The CPU doesn't play video at all. The processor and processor speed has nothing to do with video playback.

I wouldn't trust g-box. I read bad things about them, things that make the Raspberry Pi look like gold.

I don't know what "problems" you've heard about for the Pivos, but I can tell you that the Pivos will have far less issues than any g-box on the market today.

Honestly, Ouya is the best of the bunch right now.

I read that Pivos can't handle files such as 10gb+ 1080p files well. Thought that was due the single processor. Either way I would like to play those type of files well which I think the G-Box Midnight MX2 does much better right?

Ouya isn't an option since it isn't out yet. Apparently it got delayed to end of June now for release as well. And I would prefer a dedicated xbmc box that does gaming second rather than an Ouya that does gaming first and xbmc second.
(2013-05-11, 08:18)finalheaven Wrote: I read that Pivos can't handle files such as 10gb+ 1080p files well. Thought that was due the single processor. Either way I would like to play those type of files well which I think the G-Box Midnight MX2 does much better right?

Ouya isn't an option since it isn't out yet. Apparently it got delayed to end of June now for release as well. And I would prefer a dedicated xbmc box that does gaming second rather than an Ouya that does gaming first and xbmc second.

Playback on cheap device usually depends mostly on hardware accelerated chip and NOT on CPU speed. CPU would matters in GUI though.

The problem is not every hardware would get hardware accerelated on XBMC. Especially in Android devices.
Pivos has no such issues on large files, and CPU power still wouldn't cause such an issue. The gbox typically has lots of issues that are well documented in the various gbox threads on the forums, often due to a poor build of android being used.
their is a linux based build of XBMC that lets you boot straight into XBMC on the Gbox midnight, bluetimes and similar AMLogic M3 based boxes like the Smart TV Box. i bought a 75$ smart tv box, now runs Beta2 Linux XBMC with hardware decoding. that is working really amazingly well
(2013-05-11, 08:18)finalheaven Wrote: I read that Pivos can't handle files such as 10gb+ 1080p files well. Thought that was due the single processor. Either way I would like to play those type of files well which I think the G-Box Midnight MX2 does much better right?

People should have a look at the date of the post if they read something on the internet.
Davilla is working his ass off, and the Amlogic/Pivos version is become more mature by the day. A full BD-ISO rip is not a problem anymore what so ever.

I wouldn't put your eggs in G-Box's basket as they are GPL violators. They even deleted the GPL license and contributors file in their sources. Angry
(2013-05-11, 21:30)j1nx Wrote:

People should have a look at the date of the post if they read something on the internet.
Davilla is working his ass off, and the Amlogic/Pivos version is become more mature by the day. A full BD-ISO rip is not a problem anymore what so ever.

I wouldn't put your eggs in G-Box's basket as they are GPL violators. They even deleted the GPL license and contributors file in their sources. Angry

Everywhere I turn I see the same two guys complaining about g-box: Davilla and j1nx, all over the internet on any forum these two guys frequent, complaining about GPL violations by g-box. and saying that their box doesn't work. I put my glasses on a little and am starting to see a big conflict of interest here with both davilla (pivos) and j1nx (little black box). Come to find out you're both just competitors of g-box! I own both the original midnight and the mx2 along with practically every freaking box ever put out that runs android and xbmc including the pivos xios and now an ouya. Ive got the original midnight running better than the xios has any day, in android and not linux even. Now the mx2 came out and from what I can see is stirring up or scaring competitors into talking all this trash. And what about the source? I asked for their xbmc source and got it the same day just to see what you guys are all fussing about. Get over your gpl crap.

I used to take into consideration what you guys had to say before but now after seeing the conflict of interest Im really starting to see the truth. You've both completely lost my respect.
I'm not paid by anyone and I'll tell you right now: G-Box is shit.

pcsirk: you know nothing about these two men. You know nothing about their integrity, or how far they've gone to make it possible for competitors to have access to everything they've done, all because they believe in the GPL. One of the core values of XBMC, regardless of who works for who, is to uphold open source values. Plain and simple. G-Box doesn't. They are on our shit list, and they need to change things.

So kindly go pull your head out of your ass.
pcsirk: @ post 23: Please do not do not use your freedom to throw imaginative allegations on these two without knowing anything about them. If you have time in hand contribute something positive to XBMC community.
Look.. Im a paying customer of Pivos, G-Box, OUYA and over a dozen other generic STB sellers out there just out of enthusiasm of the Android products they are. I have sat back and read the forums and instead of complaining like most people do about my XIOS or my Midnight, Ive researched the hell out of it and figured it out without bothering anybody. I have been completely unbiased about all of them. That's until now. Its very easy to piece together this little puzzle when it's so damn clear. Davilla is developing for Pivos and Geniatech. Conflict of interest, I don't care what anybody says - that is fact, there's no allegations being made when the connection is right in everybody's face. Ive read enough to easily see this. J1nx has his own product he's promoting now, his black box. Congrats on that. Go back in time, I remember before J1nx had this product, he was very much for bringing good to G-Box with his Linux contribution to the community. Now there's all of these fingers pointing at g-box. I have the XBMC source from them and its certainly not missing the license and contributors files. Maybe they gave you something different for being pricks, I don't know - but what I do know is I have no use for this source code but it was VERY EASY for me to get my hands on by just asking and I do believe that satisfies GPL. I've asked for Geniatech's XBMC source code I dont know how many times in the past to no avail. Hope you know where I'm going with this. Now I have found who needs to be defended here and I've been forced to pick sides with a damn company because I can see that their morals are far above the entire xbmc foundation's. Sad.

I dont see anywhere, and I have looked damn hard, that these guys have disrespected any of you in any way other than being your competitor. This shows a huge lack of integrity on your part and a great judge of character on theirs. Maybe they're too busy focusing on their products to worry about all the crap you guys say about them. Either way, that's all the convincing I need. Ted, you're the one that I honesty considered to be the most neutral. smh. Im tired of seeing this crap plastered all over the forums.

Now.. who wants a bad reputation? I'll be sure to get it right to the top of Google. SEO is my specialty after all.
Is that a threat? Will an OP ban this fool
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
I do not want to go into debate about anything. It has been proven to be an impossible mission, but; I have nothing against the hardware it self. Who made the GBox linux firmware? and who is still maintaining it? hence even still supporting it? Right!

It is not about who is better or has the better cards, it is all about complying to some simple rules.

As an example. Yes I work on a commercial project so my hours are getting paid in the future, but all and I really mean ALL of my development is being done out in the open, similar as Pivos. I am not a great C++ programmer and don't even know all the internals of XBMC.

I will mainly focus on the kernel and underlying OS.

This will speed up both developement trajects. Davilla can keep his focus on XBMC, I will merge his changes, while in return he can merge my changes. I strongly believe that it is exactly THIS attitude that will prove OpenSource will be the future for commercial development. Companies can get the same amount of development (or even more) while yet they only have a fraction of the development costs.

Yes sure there is competition and hence even conflicts of interest. As the software will be the same, companies need to differentiate themself by other means. Innovation, support, price, whatever.....

At this moment Matricom, is taking a different route. Again I do not want to go into debate, but in short; They do not compy with the simple rules of the GPL and because of that they are at XBMC's "shit list". So it has really nothing to do with being a competitor. Pivos and I at this moment are being competitor, yet we can perfectly co-exist. I even think we will benefit from each other and in the end the biggest winner will be XBMC as there will be yet again a source of sponsoring to keep the foundation alive.

(Oh and btw, I am not promoting my product here at the forums. People are starting to discuss it, but non of my posts have even mention it)
(2013-05-15, 00:26)pcsirk Wrote: I put my glasses on a little and am starting to see a big conflict of interest here with both davilla (pivos) and j1nx (little black box). Come to find out you're both just competitors of g-box!
Now there's all of these fingers pointing at g-box. I have the XBMC source from them and its certainly not missing the license and contributors files. Maybe they gave you something different for being pricks, I don't know - but what I do know is I have no use for this source code but it was VERY EASY for me to get my hands on by just asking and I do believe that satisfies GPL.
whooo the elephant is in the room! Rofl

I think you have a point, but I do believe in GPL rules, I wouldn't give my money for companies who uses the GPL code not respecting its simple rules.
And I do believe they are great guys who made an excellent work for free (at least so far).

This flame could last for months: just show us the source code you got and lets see who is right and who is not Cool
Weird, I asked for the material and was linked with the source without a problem - also I am a user of a lot of android boxes, gpl issue aside this one has performed better than any other I have owned. I support and criticize a lot of companies but not sure why gbox are getting so much heat. I saw the post on their forums where they stated anyone asking for it please do request. I was sent a link - but before I could that went dead in no time, so I thought something was fishy here. But overall I am a first gbox user and they are the only one who released the device FULL source so far besides ainol that I saw in the android area......giving buyers true open access of the box. It was noted as planned for the mx2 - but they are more or less concerned for their firmware being used on other devices from what I read on their forums. I own it and plenty of other devices , this is one of the first times I am satisfied - but playback has nothing to do with standards and the groundwork behind the project. I don't care what they are using - if you got it to work there should be a shared source like everyone else and that has not been provided. Only a dead link and a promise to update it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cheap Android boxes2