Solved XBMC Slow due to .bin and.cue in lib.
Thumbs Up 
Hi There,

I recently came up with a solution to my XBMC setup which was very slow from time to time. I will show you what the problem was and how to avoid it. First my setup;
- all files are stored on a NAS wired to my gb network
- XBMC installed on windows pc

The symptoms;
- when opening the Movies section in XBMC both the PC and network became incredibly slow.
- XBMC froze, the "loading circle" popped up and i could not get it away. Shutting down XBMC in task manager would help.
- the pc's CPU went to a 100% and
- my RAM to 80%-90%.
- my network got possessed blocking most other traffic.
On my NAS' config page i can monitor the network traffic and in went to 6 mb per sec. It went on for about 6 minutes, after that all was ok until i opened the Movies section again. Not all that shocking at first. But it happens all synchronized. After about 6 minutes it all stops and everything is normal again.

The Cause /the Cure;
So since it was all in my Movies folder i started an experimentation. I removed all movies from the folder on the NAS itself, this is the folder XBMC knows where to find the movies, Per number of movies (e.g. 100) i put the movies back into this folder on my NAS and checked to see if XBMC was slow. Finally it came down to a couple of movies that caused the problem. They all were .BIN and .cue, files.

Conclusion:
It is caused by .bin and or .cue files. I think XBMC is unpacking these files even though I am not even playing these. Maybe it is only over network i have not tested it locally.

I hope it helped you guys. My suggestion is to check if you have .bin/.cue files in you library and delete them to avoid this problem. Let me know if you have questions about this.

NielsTM

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Slow due to .bin and.cue in lib.0