Solved Tvheadend HTSP Client No hardware present
Question 
I had a working set-up in XBMCbuntu Frodo but now get this message when I try to watch Live TV:

Tvheadend HTSP Client
No hardware present

The EPG etc. still works but as I haven't used Live TV for a while this may have been broken for some time e.g. after upgrading to 12.1 or 12.2.

In Tvheadend the TV adapter is still correctly identified and configured (it's a dual tuner card).

Anyone else seen this issue or know how to fix it?

Thanks

Nick
Are you sure it's correct on the backend? Have you recorded something, or can you stream in the web interface?

Your EPG may be coming from an XML feed, so your tuner may not be connected for some reason and yet you'd still have up-to-date schedule information.

You can also reset the EPG information on XBMC and see that it reloads properly ... if it does, that's a good sign that the addon is talking okay to the backend, at least.
Thanks Prof,

I'll start with the easy stuff - I reset the EPG and it reloaded instantly.

As far as recording - I have recorded programmes with this set-up in the past but obviously can't record anything at the moment, nor were there any old recordings available for me to playback.

Can you explain "stream in the web interface" - off the top of my head I'm not sure where I do this?
Paste the output of typing 'dmesg' in the terminal onto pastebin and put the link here. That'll tell us whether your card is indeed present. The epg will work fine for as long as it had read ahead of time, but if your card drivers aren't loading it will eventually go blank thanks to not getting any fresh data.

I suspect you've upgraded the kernel and not reinstalled the drivers.
Knowing what card it is would help on that last note. It looks like you've got connectivity from XBMC to tvheadend, though, so I'd put money on a hardware/firmware issue on the tvheadend server itself.

The tvheadend web interface allows you to schedule recordings and play channels (it launches VLC's web plug in) - you may have to play with a couple of browsers for the latter, though, it doesn't work 100% in every browser. I think Firefox is sound.

http://ip.of.your.system:9981

... and log in with the credentials you created when you first installed tvheadend. If you don't know what those are, they're stored in /home/hts/.hts/tvheadend/superuser (restricted access, so you'll need to su to root or hts to read it).

EDIT

Sorry, missed the "how do I stream" question... that depends on your version of tvheadend, but it's in Configuration -> Channe/EPG -> Channels on mine, lots of handy <play> links next to each channel entry.
(2013-05-10, 17:58)Begall Wrote: Paste the output of typing 'dmesg' in the terminal onto pastebin and put the link here. That'll tell us whether your card is indeed present. The epg will work fine for as long as it had read ahead of time, but if your card drivers aren't loading it will eventually go blank thanks to not getting any fresh data.

I suspect you've upgraded the kernel and not reinstalled the drivers.
Ok, here's the pastebin link: dmesg output

I did recently upgrade the kernel, it was the first thing I tried when I noticed the problem, and re-installed the drivers and re-booted the system, but it's always possible something went wrong.....
There's no DVB device being loaded in that output, so the drivers aren't anywhere that the system is looking. Try reinstalling the drivers again, paying attention to whether there's any errors in the process. If you put '> blah.log' at the end of each command (with a different file name for each command) you'll be able to show us any output from the process, which may highlight where the problem is.
(2013-05-10, 18:28)Prof Yaffle Wrote: Knowing what card it is would help on that last note. It looks like you've got connectivity from XBMC to tvheadend, though, so I'd put money on a hardware/firmware issue on the tvheadend server itself.
Card is TBS6280.

I think your hunch is correct - can't get anything to play from the tvheadend web interface.
You have the same card as me, I'm not sure how you did the reinstall but check out these instructions as this has always worked well for me: http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/TBS6280

Edit: Haha, nevermind, just noticed you linked to the same place.
Ok - I'm trying a re-install, let's see what happens...
TBS cards always need the drivers re-compiling on a kernel upgrade, unless they're linked in with dkms. That's what's bolloxed it.
The re-install appears to run without error but the card is still not working.

I've looked at the TBS website and a new driver was published 6th May so I'm going to try that.
Back in business!

Thank you both for helping me troubleshoot the problem, it was invaluable.
Glad to have helped... TBS makes great cards, but this is one of their quirks.

As an aside, this driver installation method also means that TBS tuners don't necessarily play nicely with other manufacturers' adapters - that's why they're not well supported in OpenElec, for example.
(2013-05-10, 19:06)Prof Yaffle Wrote: TBS cards always need the drivers re-compiling on a kernel upgrade, unless they're linked in with dkms. That's what's bolloxed it.

Hi Prof, I just wanted to follow up on your comment. From what you wrote I'm guessing that installing dkms isn't enough in itself and that some configuration would be required afterwards?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tvheadend HTSP Client No hardware present0