Solved Stuttering Blu-Ray's 1:1
hi ,

as the title says , i'm having trouble finding the correct settings in xbmc to play my Original blu-ray's from my server.

i'm in the stage of trying to change to XBMC , i'm using a popcorn hour for the moment.

to help people out trying to give me a solution , i can assure my network is not the issue , everything works great with my popcorn hour and everything is gigabyte.

before i want to buy a htpc build for xbmc , i'm testing with xbmc to see if it's perfect for what i want , at the moment i am using a laptop of with i am shure its more of capable to play 1:1 blu-ray's

i think it have's something to do with the refresh rate , for some reason i had the exact same problem with another computer that also had a Intel graphics card.

i didn't had the problem with a laptop running a Nvidia graphics card.

my setup :

Laptop with XBMC , Drivers up to date / 2 graphic card's onboard(don't ask me why , i believe its a bit strange but its a HP 4740S) with Intel and AMD graphic card inside
i will post details tonight , but i'm starting this topic in my brake Smile )
Laptop is connected with HDMI to my Amp , and from my Amp to my TV

the stuttering only occurs with Blu-ray , rips of any other kind and dvd's do not show this stuttering.

the problem also occurs with another pc with a Intel graphic card onboard (but i'm not shure the graphic card is strong enough ,thats why i switched to the laptop)

i didnt had the problem with another laptop with a nvidia graphics card in , but that laptop got damaged last week so thats why i switched to this new one.

i tryed to change some refresh rate settings , and already added the 24 hz advanced settings , but nothing works ...

i'm kinda new into this , so if anyone got's a good explanition for me , shoot Smile

sorry for my lack of english , and for the minimum of information , but if there's anything you need to troubleshoot the issue , i will reply tonight.

friendly regards ,

wesley
Could be your audio settings, check http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=146911

Basically your blu-ray rips likely contain HD audio therefore you need to check if Windows reports HD audio as supported, and that 8 sound channels are available in the Supported Formats tab for Sound - Properties of your HDMI device.

If you try to playback HD audio when support is not reported by Windows then this can cause sutter.

A quick check to determine audio settings are at fault, try:

Audio Ouput: Analog
Speaker configuration: 2.0
Audio output device: Directsound - HDMI

Also make sure you are connect to the Amp with it switched on before you start XBMC, as XBMC checks status of audio devices on startup.
(2013-05-13, 12:46)jjd-uk Wrote: Could be your audio settings, check http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=146911

Basically your blu-ray rips likely contain HD audio therefore you need to check if Windows reports HD audio as supported, and that 8 sound channels are available in the Supported Formats tab for Sound - Properties of your HDMI device.

If you try to playback HD audio when support is not reported by Windows then this can cause sutter.

A quick check to determine audio settings are at fault, try:

Audio Ouput: Analog
Speaker configuration: 2.0
Audio output device: Directsound - HDMI

Also make sure you are connect to the Amp with it switched on before you start XBMC, as XBMC checks status of audio devices on startup.

thanks for the reply , but i have to apologize , i don't mean the audio , but the video is stuttering , i don't really have a good word for it ...
Stuttering video is a symptom of incorrectly configured audio settings.

It seems counter-intuitive, but really - this is most likely your issue.

(I swear half the support threads on this forum would disappear if the title of the linked thread was changed!)
You obviously didn't bother reading the linked thread where it clearly say's audio settings can cause video stutter.
(2013-05-13, 15:40)jjd-uk Wrote: You obviously didn't bother reading the linked thread where it clearly say's audio settings can cause video stutter.

i will , i'm sorry it was a quick look at the office , i'll read it tonight and post my findings , thanks !
(2013-05-13, 15:40)jjd-uk Wrote: You obviously didn't bother reading the linked thread where it clearly say's audio settings can cause video stutter.

thanks for the topic , i couldnt believe what i seen yesterday when the video didnt stutter after following a part of the topic ...

when i put it to 2.0 and analog (for testing purpose) the stutter wen't away , but my machine isnt so good to play full hd blu-ray's ...

now that i seen that it is possible ,i'm convinced of the use of XBMC

next step is building a verry decent HTPC ...

feel free to push me in the right direction for selecting my parts ...

should i go for onboard graphics , or a seperate graphics card from nvidia ?
Coming from someone that built a HTPC not too long ago I have some recommendations. When I built mine I went too big (size and power really) and if I had to do it over again I would go much smaller. I have a large 20TB collection over two ReadyNAS servers mainly full Bluray backups in MKV format with HD audio and some Bluray TV shows that I encoded to 720P so performance was crucial and I was skeptical about playback.

Check out this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=160679

I think the i3-3225 is the way to go, but some think it's overkill. I also love the DSplayer build http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=154534 - plays the specific files XBMC can't and still keeps the nice Video OSD
(2013-05-14, 22:40)tman12 Wrote: Coming from someone that built a HTPC not too long ago I have some recommendations. When I built mine I went too big (size and power really) and if I had to do it over again I would go much smaller. I have a large 20TB collection over two ReadyNAS servers mainly full Bluray backups in MKV format with HD audio and some Bluray TV shows that I encoded to 720P so performance was crucial and I was skeptical about playback.

Check out this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=160679

I think the i3-3225 is the way to go, but some think it's overkill. I also love the DSplayer build http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=154534 - plays the specific files XBMC can't and still keeps the nice Video OSD

thanx for the response , that looks like a good build indeed and the price is very reasable ... my eyes fell on this motherboard a few months ago on a hardware news website.

the Asus E2KM1-I Deluxe , since it already have a cpu onboard and graphics card , that makes the costs a bit less i think but i don't know if these spec's are more of good enough to do what they need to do ...

should this mobo , in combination with 4-8 gig Ram , and a SSD , would do the heavy duty playing of the best blu-ray's out there ?

i really wan't a machine that plays everything , and i wan't xbmc to work as smooth as possible , its nice to have some people to help me out Smile

one more thing , do i have to prefere i specific brand of processor ? like "intel" and the I versions , or like Nvidia and a specific model ?
(2013-05-14, 20:00)Mighty5nake Wrote:

thanks for the topic , i couldnt believe what i seen yesterday when the video didnt stutter after following a part of the topic ...

when i put it to 2.0 and analog (for testing purpose) the stutter wen't away , but my machine isnt so good to play full hd blu-ray's ...

If you want to continue using XBMC on that HP laptop it should be possible to get full blu-ray playback working with HD audio. That laptop has both Intel HD4000 and AMD HD7650M, are they switchable? you will probably have to force to one or the other then load the appropiate driver for HD audio over the HDMI.

As for a dedicated HTPC then it very once depends on what you what, for a pre-built solution the Intel NUC and Lenovo Q190 are currently popular. If you want help on hardware selection then post over on the hardware section, see http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=112 , with all your requirements and budget.
(2013-05-15, 12:42)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2013-05-14, 20:00)Mighty5nake Wrote:

If you want to continue using XBMC on that HP laptop it should be possible to get full blu-ray playback working with HD audio. That laptop has both Intel HD4000 and AMD HD7650M, are they switchable? you will probably have to force to one or the other then load the appropiate driver for HD audio over the HDMI.

As for a dedicated HTPC then it very once depends on what you what, for a pre-built solution the Intel NUC and Lenovo Q190 are currently popular. If you want help on hardware selection then post over on the hardware section, see http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=112 , with all your requirements and budget.

yeah ... that laptop is not in my range anymore , i used it from work to test xbmc but had to return it yesterday ... thnx for the suggestion's but i would like to have some more power ... a few minutes ago i found the manufacture asrock , that seems to have verry nice models , but then , the price is also verry nice (sarcasm sign) , i'm thankfull for the help and info you have given me , i suppose i'll have to read some more on the forum's to find the ultimate machine that i want Smile

first of all , thanks ! , this topic can be closed , the first moment you gave me a solution i was like , euh what ? i have video problems , not audio problems ... , now i have to apologize because thats exactly the problem !

after some searching i just believed i had a surround system capable of playing everything , DTS HD , True HD , etc ...

now after playing around with the settings i found my mistake , and that was assuming i have something that i don't ...

my surround system only supports DD and DTS , so when i wanted to play Cars 2 (for testing purpose) i noticed the audio is DTS HD , obviously since my surround system dusn't supports that , it receive's a signal it can't translate (i'm saying it in my own words , you get the point) , first time i turned off all the funtion's and played something in 2.0 , i didnt get it when i turned on DD and DTS , i again had the stutter , but yesterday i found it out.

when you enable DTS in XBMC , it automatically enabled the DTS HD , without asking , first time i looked over it and thats why i had the same problems all over again ...

so , the only thing i got left now is searching for a new surround system , but thats something for in the future

(P.S. , sadly enough i bought a new graphics card already from Nvidia , the 620 , and i believe if i would do the same tests on my onboard , it would do just fine ... but well , the nvidia one is better so i don't complain)

thanks again for all who helped me searching for a solution. do i need to close this topic myself or isnt xbmc forum working like that ?
I've marked the thread Solved for you, for reference to do this you edit the 1st post and select "Solved Issue" from the drop down box on the Subject line.

Glad you were able to get there in the end although it's pity about the surround system not supporting HD audio bitstreaming.

Can the surround system do LPCM 7.1? if so you could decode the TrueHD into LPCM 7.1 for passing onto the surround system, this is done by unselecting the "TrueHD capable receiver" option and making sure "Multichannel LPCM" is selected, then Speaker Configuration needs to be set to 7.1.
(2013-05-28, 17:52)jjd-uk Wrote: I've marked the thread Solved for you, for reference to do this you edit the 1st post and select "Solved Issue" from the drop down box on the Subject line.

Glad you were able to get there in the end although it's pity about the surround system not supporting HD audio bitstreaming.

Can the surround system do LPCM 7.1? if so you could decode the TrueHD into LPCM 7.1 for passing onto the surround system, this is done by unselecting the "TrueHD capable receiver" option and making sure "Multichannel LPCM" is selected, then Speaker Configuration needs to be set to 7.1.

thanks for marking the topic as solved , to answer your question :

how can i see that , if it supports lpcm ? i'm not a newbie but i'm not to technical to if it comes to audio ... what does lpcm stand for ? i still need to understand all the different terms of audio that there are out there ... also my surround system is 5.1 so i can't select 7.1 right ?
Easy thing would be for you to tell us what surround system you've got.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stuttering Blu-Ray's 1:10