Win HTPC doing double duty....will this work??
Just moved into a new home (well old home really...1920s) and on the main floor I have a HTPC that currently drives a 47" LG LCD with sound and video via HDMI, and it works great with XBMC....but I also have a home theatre room downstairs with a ceiling mounted Benq Projector (with HDMI input) and a Sony 5.1 HTIB (with no HDMI only toslink input), so can I do the following??

1. Drive the 47" LG TV with video/ sound via Displayport from my HTPC instead of HDMI (my tv doesn't have Displayport so I'd have to use a Displayport-HDMI adapter)
2. Drive the Benq Projector downstairs with video via HDMI from my HTPC
3. Drive the Sony 5.1 HTIB downstairs with audio via toslink from my HTPC

So what I would be doing in theory is kind of like setting up dual displays like you would with any other computer, Display 1 = LG TV...Display 2 = Benq Projector....my question concerns sound....

If you were to run HDMI and Displayport to 2 different sources, does sound travel through both ports? Does 1 take precedence over the other? Does Displayport converted to HDMI even pass sound? Or am I going about this whole thing the wrong way? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Not from the same client. You'd have to manually switch your default display and audio output every time you wanted to change setups. You'd also need to control the XBMC box from another room (not hard with wifi controls).

Displayport converts to HDMI just fine. It will output HD audio as well. Whether it outputs both DP and HDMI concurrently, is up to your video card.

What you would really want to do is have multple clients, with a shared database. You can make/buy decent windows/xbmc boxes for <$500 these days. Some, like the Intel NUC, are pretty small and will fit anywhere you want. Old laptops can sometimes work in this function, as well. There are also android devices and things like jailbroken Apple TV's (2). Lots of options there.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC doing double duty....will this work??0