• 21(current)
Linux VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.04
(2014-01-25, 19:41)trsqr Wrote: I've got a Samsung TV, and I think the live TV quality is much better on the telly than via my NUC with HD4400 (connected to the same telly), even if I apply the settings given in the first post of this thread (they do improve the quality a lot from the initial situation). Somehow it seems to me that slanted edges would require some anti-aliasing and I can see blockiness caused by compression much more clear. I understood that the deinterlacing with the yadif method is as good as it gets, so that should not be it. Do Intel's drivers leave something to be desired or has the DVB-tuner any impact on this (am using an el cheapo AF9013 tuner currently)?

If you are watching a digital TV source - DVB-T/T2, -S/S2, -C etc. then the quality of the tuner won't impact picture quality IF you have an error-free signal. All digital tuners should deliver an identical video and audio stream from the same broadcast - a cheap DVB-T tuner should deliver identical video and audio streams as an expensive one (if both are running error-free).

There can be a difference between different DVB tuners' sensitivity and tuner/demodulator performance, so some may perform better than others in terms of delivering an error-free signal in challenging signal situations. However DVB errors are usually seen as large square blocks of picture break-up - smaller blocks in SD - and are very different to compression artefacts.

For broadcast TV picture quality the quality of de-interlacing, and if watching broadcasts that are lower than your display panel resolution (which presumably XBMC will be driving natively with no overscan issues) the quality of scaling, play a key role.
I think the Samsung does some "Color Postprocessing". Despite that, I have not seen yet any better picture as with Yadif Deinterlacer. SD Channel combined with lanczos3 optimized look really awesome. The OP should post a logfile to see if really those settings are in use:

Deinterlace: Auto
Deinterlace-Method: Deinterlace

Scaling: Lanczos 3 Optimized *

* Set Video Playback -> Use HQ Scalers when scaling > 20%. This will use bilinear for 1080i /1080p, but use lanczos 3 optimized when using 720p or 576i. So you have to make that setting permament when watching an SD Channel.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Maybe I've just been paying attention to the low quality of the SD broadcast more now, since I know that I've got some settings that can be fiddled. I was yesterday trying to change between the XBMC and TV tuner and in both cases the picture seems equally bad. I think I just haven't been paying attention to the quality before. There's a lot more contrast and saturation when watching through TV tuner, but by playing around with the settings I can get the colours I want when watching TV using the XBMC box. I'm sure the settings are as you mention and I've made them default for all channels. I'll post a log tonight for completeness sake, as you say. Smile
My debug log when restarting OpenELEC and starting to watch a TV channel.

http://sprunge.us/TMjX
To get the ir receiver working on my Haswell NUC (D34010WYK) I needed to add a script that works around a bug in the bios.

I changed the /etc/init/xbmc.conf script to the following

Code:
env USER=xbmc

description     "XBMC-barebones-upstart-script"
author          "Matt Filetto"

start on (filesystem and stopped udevtrigger and net-device-up IFACE!=lo)
stop on runlevel [016]

# tell upstart to respawn the process if abnormal exit
respawn
respawn limit 10 5
limit nice 21 21

script
modprobe -r nuvoton-cir
echo "auto" > "/sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN0530:00/physical_node/resources"
modprobe nuvoton-cir

exec su -c "xinit /usr/bin/xbmc --standalone :0" $USER
# the following two are to get an idea, if you want to user a window manager
# sudo apt-get install fluxbox and comment the above exec line
# only one exec line is allowed.
#   exec su -c "xinit /usr/bin/fluxbox :0" $USER
end script
thanks a lot laric, exactly what I just search for Smile
Btw. we recently switched to ffmpeg 2.x (thx to wsnipex and fernetmenta). Happy testing and proper HEVC / VC-1 interlaced (sw decoding support).
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Woh, SD TV with this new de-interlacing stuff looks awesome, nicely done, the VAAPI Bob stuff before was so bad it was unusable. I've also tried moving to Lanczos3 scaling but it takes my system from a steady 50 FPS & smooth UI while playing SD mpeg2 video to 45-47 FPS with a noticeably choppy UI when moving around while video is playing. Is this normal/is there any setting I can tweak to improve it? This is a SNB i3 2100T system with Ubuntu 13.10 / 3.13 Kernel.
If you followed the howto: no :-)
the hd2000 in your cpu might just be too slow for lanzcos3
Ah yes. @wsnipex is right - now I remember.
(2014-02-01, 13:16)fritsch Wrote: Btw. we recently switched to ffmpeg 2.x (thx to wsnipex and fernetmenta). Happy testing and proper HEVC / VC-1 interlaced (sw decoding support).

Excellent, wish it was a week earlier as I built XBMC from source myself with the latest ffmpeg sources!

I will test out your build later when I get home. On my build, I noticed that HEVC decoding was only using a single core of my Haswell NUC, which caused issues on larger 1080p 10gb files. 720p 4gb encodes worked fine on 1 core.
Check that: https://github.com/FernetMenta/xbmc/comm...0c5850a787

If it's still single threaded, then the decoding is only single threaded implemented for now in ffmpeg.
I'm still running Raring (13.04) on a Chromebox. Will be there any new raring builds in the fernetmenta ppa? The last one was from January, 26.
My another HTPC running on NUC and 13.10 got several more xbmc updates since then.
https://launchpad.net/~wsnipex/+archive/...ter=raring <- are you sure you use the right ppa?

Ah yes, you are right. Did not know until you told, will ask back.
  • 21(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.0416