• 20(current)
Linux VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.04
Is there a way to see what options xbmc was compiled with? Thanks
Go to the ppa, download the .tar.gz and see.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I've got a Samsung TV, and I think the live TV quality is much better on the telly than via my NUC with HD4400 (connected to the same telly), even if I apply the settings given in the first post of this thread (they do improve the quality a lot from the initial situation). Somehow it seems to me that slanted edges would require some anti-aliasing and I can see blockiness caused by compression much more clear. I understood that the deinterlacing with the yadif method is as good as it gets, so that should not be it. Do Intel's drivers leave something to be desired or has the DVB-tuner any impact on this (am using an el cheapo AF9013 tuner currently)?
I'm testing this on Ubuntu 14.04 now (build from FernetMenta git) and I'm having some issues with refreshrate change. For ~24p content it choose 60hz, even though xbmc is running 60hz, it does invoke a refresh rate change, but it stays at 60hz.

I can provide logs etc if this is not a known issue.

EDIT FIXED TYPO, if anyone made sense of what I wrote before, good job Big Grin
@KRA77: Yeah, just post them please.

@trsqr: Post a log, just for completenes
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Debug log:

start xbmc in 60hz
start playback of 24p video
refresh change invoked
output still reports 60hz

http://paste.ubuntu.com/6815988/
I have no clue what Compiz and Ubuntu's desktop are doing in 14.04

Reproduce with fluxbox, please

Quote:DEBUG: Window Manager Name: Compiz
It does change to 50hz on 50/25 videos.
That's what it should do :-)
Can't reproduce with fluxbox, but why does it change to 50hz but not 24hz ?

In log you see it using
Code:
xbmc-xrandr --screen 0 --output HDMI2 --mode 0xd1

if I run in terminal
Code:
xrandr --screen 0 --output HDMI2 --mode 0xd1
it does indeed change to 24hz

In the log it only calls for 0x48 (60hz) on stop, so does it fail to change and automatically fallback to 60hz when playing video, because as far as I can tell there is no info of it changing to 60hz for video playback in the log !?
I have to correct myself, xrandr har issues also from terminal, worked perfect first time, but more testing confirm it cannot stable change modes.
I would blame Ubuntu? :-) is that okay?
(2014-01-25, 20:52)fritsch Wrote: @trsqr: Post a log, just for completenes

Sure, here are my logfiles.
always something, Xubuntu 13.10 couldn't handle passthrough audio, Arch and OpenSuse freeze xbmc on playback stop. Ubuntu 14.04 cannot change refreshrate. Also installed KDE, but xbmc jumps from HDMI2 to HDMI1 when you stop playback, couldn't live with KDE anyways.

Looks like I'm out of luck looking for a nice working DE with xbmc running HDMI2 at the same time. Thinking maybe it's time for second gfx card to run xbmc on seperate screen.
@trsqr: Minimal Log please - restart xbmc, play one file that needs deinterlacing (e.g. LiveTV) make 100% sure you have the settings done from the first post.

And also upgrade your OpenELEC - there are new builds since some hours. Your log did not show VAAPI at all.
  • 20(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.0416