Linux VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.04
(2014-01-25, 19:41)trsqr Wrote: I've got a Samsung TV, and I think the live TV quality is much better on the telly than via my NUC with HD4400 (connected to the same telly), even if I apply the settings given in the first post of this thread (they do improve the quality a lot from the initial situation). Somehow it seems to me that slanted edges would require some anti-aliasing and I can see blockiness caused by compression much more clear. I understood that the deinterlacing with the yadif method is as good as it gets, so that should not be it. Do Intel's drivers leave something to be desired or has the DVB-tuner any impact on this (am using an el cheapo AF9013 tuner currently)?

If you are watching a digital TV source - DVB-T/T2, -S/S2, -C etc. then the quality of the tuner won't impact picture quality IF you have an error-free signal. All digital tuners should deliver an identical video and audio stream from the same broadcast - a cheap DVB-T tuner should deliver identical video and audio streams as an expensive one (if both are running error-free).

There can be a difference between different DVB tuners' sensitivity and tuner/demodulator performance, so some may perform better than others in terms of delivering an error-free signal in challenging signal situations. However DVB errors are usually seen as large square blocks of picture break-up - smaller blocks in SD - and are very different to compression artefacts.

For broadcast TV picture quality the quality of de-interlacing, and if watching broadcasts that are lower than your display panel resolution (which presumably XBMC will be driving natively with no overscan issues) the quality of scaling, play a key role.

Messages In This Thread
RE: vaapi-sse4: Deinterlacing Testing - by noggin - 2014-01-28, 02:03
EDID / HDMI Handshake workaround - by Ney - 2014-10-29, 13:58
Thank you! - by Sta11ion - 2015-01-02, 01:51
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.0416