Linux VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.04
(2015-02-06, 08:52)Soli Wrote: Got a hp chromebox, that I first tried Linux Mint on, then I got fed up with all the bloat and tried out Kodibuntu instead.
Running with a PS3 BD Remote and it works more or less perfectly. I didn't want to go the OE route because I don't want to depend on OE, and besides I wanted a normal desktop just in case, plus I wanted to use Netflixbmc.
I haven't read the whole thread, but it seems noone has really posted a step by step using Kodibuntu on a Chromebox.
Here are the steps I took. If someone are interested I could be more specific.

1. Installed Kodibuntu from a USB stick.
2. Apt-get update && apt-get upgrade.
3. Installed Google Chrome and uninstalled Chromium.
4. Added the tear free option in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf so that playing videos in a normal browser wouldnt tear.
5. Installed gnome-terminal to since the xterm and uxterm are horrible. (and is only dependent on an extra library, so no bloat) Made a shortcut in the startmenu for gnome-terminal since installing gnome-terminal didnt populate the start menu automatically.
6. Added the RGB FIX to the startup of lightdm at /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf. made a script in my home folder (and chmod +x) named rgbfix.sh with
Code:
#!/bin/sh
xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full"

added the line
Code:
display-setup-script=/home/xxx/rgbfix.sh
to lightdm.conf

7. Installed blueman and paired my PS3 BD Remote. (use the "trust" option or else blueman will ask for a pin, which will fail because the BD Remote does not use a pin code). Blueman show up in the start menu and is a nice gui to pair bluetooth devices.
8. We need a patched bluez to use all the buttons on the ps3 remote so i installed a patched version (only a patched main bluez package is needed).
9. Added the PS3 BD REMOTE specific config file to /etc/bluetooth/input.conf (remember the timeout setting is in seconds instead of minutes when using the patched version) I use timeout of 25 seconds. No need to fickle anymore with bluetooth after this, it reconnects automatically at boot.

10. To get sound in the normal desktop environment, I used alsamixer to set the default audio device to my USB soundcard and unmute it. You can also use /etc/asound.conf. Or you might not even need to do anything if you're using HDMI audio. (unless analog output is default).

11. Installed Intel Graphics Installer 1.07 package (google it), and then you have to run the actual program which then installs some Intel drivers. You also have to manually install apt-transport-https or the package will fail. This speeds up html5 in google chrome (doesn't seem to do much for flash though). Now I can watch Netflix in 1080p in Google chrome without stuttering, which is not bad considering its software decoding on a 1.4ghz dual core Celeron.

12. Installed the Linux 3.18.5 kernel image and kernel headers.

Reboot.
I think that was it. It works perfectly!

Would you recommend doing the above on Ubuntu 14.10 running on a Asus Chromebox with the latest kernal (3.19)?

Messages In This Thread
EDID / HDMI Handshake workaround - by Ney - 2014-10-29, 13:58
Thank you! - by Sta11ion - 2015-01-02, 01:51
RE: VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.04 - by denz13 - 2015-02-11, 16:01
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.0416