Linux VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.04
Many thanks for clarifying all this!

Quote:gurabli Wrote:
I'm a little bit confused now. I really love the j1800 and j1900 boards. I read through the post but got lost a little.

1) At the moment, j1800/j1900 is working with Kodi and there are no hangups, or functionality limitations in terms of stability?
You need a special kernel with a workaround for the turbo issue. I have build such a kernel (see some pages before).

Then I understood correctly. I think it is not an issue to build a kernel. Any ideas when will this be included in Ubuntu kernel or it will not be included at all? Maybe OpenElec will have this kernel by default?
I can build this special kernel for any Ubuntu release or Kodibuntu?

Quote:Quote:
2) if I got this correctly, it is already possible to use hardware deinterlacing for 1808i (BOB) and there will be even more advanced hw deinterlacing available for BYT?
It can do 1080i50 with VAAPI-BOB. MADI is still worked on by intel - but we are nearly there yet.

I believe my ION1 is aslo capable of max hardware BOB deinterlacing for 1080i50, and my image is excellent on ION1 HD livetv content (not sure about this, will have to check). If BYT can do the same quality as ION1, if will be perfect.
MADI is way better then VAAPI-BOB in terms of quality?

Quote:Quote:
3) are there any limitations on BYT that seams to be hard to solve
It's much too slow to do correct upscaling ....

OK, but this is a problem only for SD content to 1080 upscaling, not? What is the best that BYT can do in terms of upscaling live SD tv to 1080? I think my ION uses bilinear or bicubic, not sure again, not home to check. Lanzos3(optimized) is not working.

Quote:Why not getting a chromebox?

I like to build my systems by myself, and although a Chromebox does look good, I always have better systems for my needs built by myself. If it was used only as Kodi, then perhaps OK. BTW, which CPU I need in Chromebox that would do a proper job (the cheapest version)?

EDIT: the updated kernel will work with j1800 BYT with two cores or the one with four cores only?

Messages In This Thread
EDID / HDMI Handshake workaround - by Ney - 2014-10-29, 13:58
Thank you! - by Sta11ion - 2015-01-02, 01:51
RE: VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.04 - by gurabli - 2015-04-07, 10:02
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.0416