Linux VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.04
(2014-05-09, 08:27)fritsch Wrote:
(2014-05-09, 04:58)uomiarz Wrote:
(2014-05-03, 17:50)uomiarz Wrote: I am runnung asus chromebox on Celeron® 2955U
Installed Xbuntu 14.04 and xbmc on top of it (from fernetmenta ppa)
Follow guide from post #1

I end up with terrible tearing. Usually top of the screen.
Changing deinterlace settings change tearing but it is always present.

HDMI out to amp and then TV.

Here is a fix for tearing

Code:
sudo nano /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
   Driver      "intel"
   Option      "TearFree"    "true"
EndSection

More details here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1699218

No, No and no again. This will introduce Triple Buffering and we absolutely don't want that! Cause we are using swapBuffers to update the images on screen. Use the /etc/init/xbmc.conf I provide and you won't have a single bit of tearing. It's all a backing store issue.

As you are not running this howto anyways, fix your lightdm.conf

Fritsch,

If you don't mind, can you explain the negative side effects of Triple Buffering and swap buffer to those of us less familiar with the video rendering pipeline?

I did this as it is listed in the Chromebox entry in the Kodi Wiki as the solution if you have tearing issues. I never had tearing in Kodi, but when I launch Netflix using the NetfliXBMC plugin, I did see tearing. This entry fixed that tearing, but after reading this I am wondering if I may have messed something else up by enabling it, and if I should switch back...

Any additional information you can provide would be much appreciated!
Livingroom: 65" Panasonic Plasma, Denon AVR-x3300w, Parasound A31, Fronts: RBH SX-6300 Towers, Center: RBH 441-se, Surrounds: RBH 41-se Sub: Dual SVS PC13-Ultra, Source: Custom Kodi Box
Desk: DAC: Schiit Modi Multibit,Headphones: Schiit Jotunheim -> Sennheiser HD650 & Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Speakers: Parasound 275v2-> RBH 41-se & SVS SB12-NSD

Messages In This Thread
RE: VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.04 - by mattlach - 2015-04-25, 23:23
EDID / HDMI Handshake workaround - by Ney - 2014-10-29, 13:58
Thank you! - by Sta11ion - 2015-01-02, 01:51
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.0416