Win Lower volume than other players only with mp3s!
Hi guys,

i don't know if you can help me with this strange issue. I have XBMC Frodo RC3 on windows and so far everything is working fine. The audio output is configured with WASAPI and i made some tests comparing the flac files with foobar and im very satisfied (same quality...).
The only problem that i found is with mp3 files. If i compare the volume of mp3s files between XBMC and Foobar2000 is lower. I also found out that if i right click withing XBMC and select play with ''DVDplayer'' the volume is ok (the same as foobar). Is there an explanation of this or a way to fix it (having the same volume with Paplayer)?

I didn't install any other ''additional player'', so i have just the 2 default ones...but if you suggest something better it is more than welcome.

Thanks
This could be a known bug, check the Section 7 of the sticky http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=146911
I have already checked the xml file and the volume is correct (1.000000). The strange thing is that with Flac everything is fine. Can you guys try to play an mp3 with DVDplayer in XBMC and check the volume difference compared to Paplayer?

Is it possible that some of your files have replaygain values and some do not? Is replaygain enabled?

Another potential cause in if you are playing 5.1 FLACs they will naturally be louder than 2.0 mp3s.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
I have replaygain off and all the flac files that im using are ''normal'' (2.0 audio files).

Can i ask you a favour? Can you open the same files and check the volume difference with the 2 players in XBMC (Paplayer and Dvdplayer)?

Thanks
Nobody trying?
OMG! I have the exact same problem. Before today, I didn't bother and assumed that the MP3s were just in and of itself in lower volume. But today, I played my MP3s with Foobar and they sounded as loud as the FLACs. So I decided to google the problem and found this thread.

I registered just to say I have the same problem.
MP3 volume is low in my xbmc setup also where as other players have higher volume.
Yes, I can confirm playback level is too low on mp3,
This is on xbmc 12.2, using paplayer.

Solved by using dvdplayer for music, no negative effects detected so far.
(Advancedsettings.xml -> <defaultaudioplayer>dvdplayer<...).

My previous version (xbmc 12.xx alpha, built around may 2012) had a flac-playback fault (failed for 0dB sine waves).
Audio playback is not bitperfect, and there are irritating functionality like replaygain, compressors and limiters implemented.
Documentation for how to ensure limiters, compressors are disabled are lacking.

So, there is really a job to be done here, on audio playback.
The specification is simple: just pass on whatever comes in, without changing the signal at all, and output to hdmi.
Obviously no limiters or compressors should be implemented, but it is also important that signal output level is consistent, so that 0dB is the same level for all sources.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Lower volume than other players only with mp3s!0