Oculus Rift Support
(2013-05-30, 23:36)da-anda Wrote: nate, this would still require XBMC to run in stereoscopic mode (which doesn't exist yet, but is being worked on), or you will end up with a SBS movie with a standard XBMC GUI that you can't split up for left and right eye.

Let's take a step back for a moment. Let's say we don't care about 3D movies at all. We don't care about depth in the XBMC GUI. We are purely looking for a 2D XBMC GUI that will lead to a 2D movie, both of which are rendered on a 2D object (i.e. a movie screen) in a 3D rendered space. In such a situation, is there any need at all for creating a stereoscopic mode? Can't you simply display the same image onto both screens within the 3D engine?
this just goes to show that whatever marketing douche that came up with the term 3d for stereoscopic crap deserves the one-pubic-hair-at-the-time treatment.
I blame wikipedia, which failed me in my quest to figure out what the heck was going on.
When I saw the vr cinema demo I immediately thought of xbmc, specifically the ability to view any xbmc movie/tv show in the theater with intuitive controls in the environment. I think the theater is nice but I want to take it to the next level. Imagine watching star wars while inside the facon or star trek on the bridge of the enterprise or nausicaa in the toxic forest. the meta data would load a scene just like today it loads posters and backgrounds.

I dont expect this to be part of the main release of xbmc. I just want to leverge it in VR. After having read Ready Player One I am convinced VR is the future. The resolution/tech is primitive today but in 5 years everyone will be scrambling to support it.

imho xbmc is the premier media play application. I had written my own for the popcorn hour many years ago and abanoned it for xbmc. I have always thought I should help out and this seems like a great opportunity. VR is in its infancy and early integration of xbmc with the oculus rift could be one a few killer apps for the platform. It will probably take me a few weeks to get up to speed but I will continue to pursue this avenue.
My misunderstanding then, I thought that you where just planning to use Oculus Rift to watch movies with XBMC, not put XBMC within a game.

XBMC "within a game" is a way to unique niche for my own taste, as it would be like playing a game on a virtual computer inside a VR game, like this

I hope that someone else will still consider only making a basic Oculus Rift renderer for XBMC, without head-tracking in a 3D game space.
Would love to see this working on Android.... noted that the HDMI out works on one of the Mini TV Sticks I have been messing around with lately Smile I think this would be cool even if the head tracking was not working 100%. I.e. te distortion working and I just see a massive screen. Obviously would be even cooler with the head tracking though! I have a tonne of stuff I want to try on my Rift as I only received it on Friday, but if anybody is going to work on something drop me a line on the www.oculushut,com blog and let me know - could help out with some alpha testing Smile

Another mini experiment (using APK from developer on Oculus VR forum). Head tracking working on this one, but distortion not working yet! Big Grin

https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/vi...704#p21704

Cool proof of concept.

So did this project die or is anyone working on this?

The VR Cinema is awsome but it would be so much better if you could project xbmc onto the theater screen!
Now im not a developer so please correct me if im wrong but would it really be that difficult to just project the image of xbmc and have the program running in the background doing all the actual work?
What do you think a normal software developer earns about 200000 $ a year? because of things are easy? :p
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
* Martijn prints out a screenshot 3D of xbmc running and sticks it onto a pair of glasses
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2013-12-02, 21:46)Memphiz Wrote: What do you think a normal software developer earns about 200000 $ a year? because of things are easy? :p
I think I have to quit my job now and become a software developer Smile

* da-anda enjoys XBMC on a projector or watches movies in a real cinema with friends
I have to add - there are no normal software developers existent ... Wink - all of them are abnormal to a certain point Wink
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
(2013-12-02, 21:46)Memphiz Wrote: What do you think a normal software developer earns about 200000 $ a year? because of things are easy? :p

Of course not, it just seemed to me that you wouldn't haveto recode the entire program to fit in the VR Cinema, if you could just get splashtop or a similar software to display on the movie screen then anything is possible.
But like I said, im not a developer so this might be a really stupid thought, in my world things are easy since other people that are much more clever then me has already made it so Wink
Its quiet easy i guess. But no official xbmc developer is willing to work on it (as far as i know) nor has a oculus rift.
(2013-12-03, 17:56)Memphiz Wrote: Its quiet easy i guess. But no official xbmc developer is willing to work on it (as far as i know) nor has a oculus rift.

Thats sad to hear, it would really be the ultimate home theater experience. I have tried the VR cinema and although the resolution is really bad right now I must say its incredibly impressive.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Oculus Rift Support0