OpenELEC ☆ Build #5
Image Image

[CASE/MOBO/CPU/GPU/PSU] ZBOX-ID80-U / Atom D2700 / Nvidia GT 520M / 65W ($216)
[RAM] KINGSTON ValueRAM 2GB (1x2GB) 204-pin DDR3 1066MHz CL7 1.5V ($20)
[SSD] ADATA Premier Pro SP600 32GB SATA-III 2.5" Read:360MB/s Write:130MB/s ($50)
TOTAL: $286

Pros?
* FULL 3D 1080P Ready!!
* Bitstreams DOLBY TRUE-HD & DTS-HD MASTER!!
* Built-in WiFi!!
* Built-in Bluetooth!!
* 1 x HDMI output!!
* 1 x SATA-II port!!
* 1 x Optical (S/PDIF) output!!
* 2 x USB 3.0 ports!!
* 2 x USB 2.0 ports!!
* 1 x Multi Card Reader slot!!

Cons?
* no SATA-III port!!
PRO Smile
If you're looking to DIY, there is actually a motherboard available with Atom/GT610 here:
Giada MI-D2500GT

This is a really nice motherboard. It has 2 x SATA with the NM10 chipset and it has a very quiet fan with excellent fan control. I too has 1 x HDMI, 1 x SPDIF but not USB3.0 (that may or may not matter for you). There is a mini-PCIe slot of adding a wireless/Bluetooth card. The mSATA slot is inactive since the NM10 chipset only support 2 x SATA with the regular SATA ports.

I use it for this barebones:
SH-80 D2500/GT610 barebones

There is also a D2550/GT610 version, the MI-D2550GT-M that has 1 x SATA, 1 x mSATA and there is this case that is specially made for it that I just received:
Realan E-Q3i

It's hard to beat the dual-core Atom/Nvidia GT610 combination for OpenELEC.

So, there's three options: the Zotac for off-the-shelf, the Giada motherboard for DIY and a couple of barebones for something in-between.
While an 8GB drive is enough a 16 or 32 GB usb 3 drive is easily had for $10-$20. I had sleep wake issues booting from usb in betas but none since the stable releases. No reason not to consider it instead of a ssd. Checked my OE install tonight and there is 4.1GB free on the 8GB stick with over 1000 titles in the movie library and over 1000 episodes of different TV shows. I use mysql to sync libraries but I don't have it store the artwork, so that is still cached on the flash drive for each title
Nice, but "$286" and "intel atom" does not compute in my mind, no matter how small and sexy it is :/
(2013-05-28, 04:14)Dougie Fresh Wrote: If you're looking to DIY, there is actually a motherboard available with Atom/GT610 here:
Giada MI-D2500GT

at that price, i still prefer the motherboard in my OpenELEC #2 build,,, the ZOTAC D2700ITXS-A-E,,,,
CPU is a bit more powerful then on the Giaga MI-D2500GT.
the GPU is the same, GT610 = GT520. no diff here... they both do FULL 3D 1080P...
and on the ZOTAC board, there's built-in WiFi and Bluetooth, all for $158!!
anyways, thats my point of vue...
but that Giaga board is ok i admit.
but ZOTAC i prefer.

(2013-05-28, 07:00)Ned Scott Wrote: Nice, but "$286" and "intel atom" does not compute in my mind, no matter how small and sexy it is :/

ok in case of a windows system, your right,
but for OpenELEC htpc, this build is simply the best there is price/feature wise honestly.
hard to beat.
(2013-05-28, 07:35)eskro Wrote:
(2013-05-28, 07:00)Ned Scott Wrote: Nice, but "$286" and "intel atom" does not compute in my mind, no matter how small and sexy it is :/

ok in case of a windows system, your right,
but for OpenELEC htpc, this build is simply the best there is price/feature wise honestly.
hard to beat.

Err, what? Why would it make more sense for OpenELEC than Windows?

This build isn't bad, but it's not hard to beat. Nearly $300 for an intel atom? really?
but that i mean, i recommend this build only if one goes for OpenELEC.

if one plans to use Windows, i'd not recommend it.

its just my opinion, im not forcing people to get what i say.
Is it really on for people to ask for donations for their advice on here?

I mean I troll for "reputation" points, but for moneyHuh? Why does this person even have an account?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
i'll remove those as i was asked to.

people that know me here know that im not here to make crazy money...

i've been a contributing member here

and i've helped many people in the best way i could for building they're 1st HTPC build..
OK appreciate you taking the donation link out. Interesting hardware recommendations. Appreciate your support of others. Not sure I totally agree, but of course price points and availability are so different in different markets.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
threre's no way to suggest builds that suits everyone.
we all have different needs.
your idea of a build might not be good for me but might be for others.
yep for sure.
thats why im trying to reach out as many users as i can
when proposing my builds.
Is it required to use DDR3-1066 (7-7-7-20) or can you use DDR3-1333 (9-9-9-24)?

These are the choices for DDR3-1066: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList...agesize=20

Also, I'm looking at 2x2GB, should I just get 1x2GB for OpenELEC? Will the extra RAM make any difference?

I have a couple SSD drives that aren't being used - should I use those or buy a USB3 stick that I've seen some people using? All my media is on my NAS.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC ☆ Build #51