"Plot" vs "Full Summary" synopsis text
Hello all,

My subject should cover most of it : I'm a bit of an extreme movie buff with what I could only describe as a huge library of films.
I really, really dislike "Full summary" text vs the basic plot outline which IMDB provides in only 2 lines for most movies.
I've raised this here : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=144322 Where I was told to investigate custom skins.

Personally, I think it's very very important as a huge portion of full summary text for movies is written by third parties who simply spoil the film. The generic simple plot, 9 times out of 10 is far more interesting. Note the example I used for The Matrix for instance on that post, one sounds quite interesting, the other is a complete spoiler for a huge and fantastic reveal for a movie.

Any thoughts?
which view are you using for movies? The info wall view for example lets you choose either full plot or simple outline...

My Madnox Mods | Nox Version Guide
---------------------------------------------------------------
Movie Logo Requests | Studio Logo Requests
Logo's Made So Far:
Sorry, I don't mean to be an ass but what relevance does the view make? I'd like to NEVER see the full outline ever :/ in any of the views!
but to answer your question, I've just checked and I'm using "Shift" view wit the info panel set to ON, my floor info is set to "extra info"

Personally, I think the package should always show the short synopsis of the information / basic plot outline and the only view in the entire package which should show the full plot information is if you press "i" for full information (which shows the file path, cast etc)
Personal opinion of course - but god damn I'd really like to see this Sad I find that full plot information, at times boring, full of spoilers, poorly written and just not informative to make a quick simple decision regarding the film I'd like to watch.
Sorry I thought thats what you were asking.. you can change between a full plot and a short outline.. I guess if you set it to outline, it will at least not show the entire plot.

EDIT: The only relevance to the view is Im not sure if all views have that switch between full plot and short outline as I only use the info wall view for movies.

ANOTHER EDIT: You know you can choose to hide the plot for movies you have not watched yet in the system settings for videos... that may be better.
Anyway good luck.
Logo's Made So Far:
(2013-05-29, 05:09)ShadowTek Wrote: Sorry I thought thats what you were asking.. you can change between a full plot and a short outline.. I guess if you set it to outline, it will at least not show the entire plot.

Where can this be done?
In that screenshot I posted above... thats why I asked what view you were using because I dont think all views have it... I just checked shift and it doesnt have it... If you give me a sec, I can edit the shift view to show outline rather then full plot...
Logo's Made So Far:
Ok ! Awesome.
Ok, I'm not sure what version of nox you are using (I use the latest GIT version) so if you open up the variables.xml (GIT Version) file and search for:
Code:
<variable name="FanartPanelPlotVar">
5 lines below that you will see:
Code:
<value>$INFO[ListItem.Plot]</value>
change it to:
Code:
<value>$INFO[ListItem.PlotOutline]</value>
that should do the trick, of course if a outline wasn't scraped, it will be blank..

Let me know if its ok.

EDIT: If you are using the Repo version, send me the variables.xml file and I'll see what has to be changed in it, though Id guess something very similar..

ANOTHER EDIT: Actually it looks like shift view shows the outline by default and if theres no outline, then it shows the full plot, maybe someone can confirm this? Unless theres a setting to change it somewhere? (As I mentioned I only use the Info Wall view for movies so not too familiar with shift)
Logo's Made So Far:
You're a god damned legend, I just followed your first instructions, it's done what I wanted, SO much more awesome! This is how it should be as default!
I'd just like to bump this thread as a thank you (again) for this fix, it's COMPLETELY changed my movie viewing habits.
While there's still the odd spoiler in the short synopsis, for the most part they are easier to read, saving me time andmaking me more interested in my film collection.

Thank you.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Plot" vs "Full Summary" synopsis text0