Xbmcbuntu - AMD - Video driver headaches
Last weekend I installed XBMCbuntu clean.
In the meantime I only did an "apt-get upgrade" and then I was not able to login anymore.
Well, was able to login, but then the screen did go dark for a second, and send me back to the login screen right away.

I found the ".xsession_errors" file, which says something about 'ATIFGLEXTENSION', but I'm trying everything to get this to work, but this is my 5th reinstall in a week, just cannot get the drivers to work properly.

Contents of the .xsession_errors log:

Code:
X Error of failed request:  BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  155 (ATIFGLEXTENSION)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  66 ()
  Serial number of failed request:  13
  Current serial number in output stream:  13
X Error of failed request:  BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)

The only solution I see so far, is to never upgrade anything through "apt".
But that is not a solution. My video-card is "AMD Radeon HD 7480D" integrated in my "AMD A4-5300" APU.

Global specs overview:

Code:
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A75 PRO4-M
CPU/APU:     AMD A4-5300 Boxed
RAM:         Corsair XMS3 CMX4GX3M1A1600C9
PSU:         be quiet! System Power 7 300W
HDD:         Western Digital Green WD20EARX, 2TB
Cooler:      Scythe Shuriken Rev. B

Two days ago I did another clean install of Xbmxbuntu 12.10.
Right now I made my own backup shell script which now created daily backups since I succesfully configured everything, the only problem is, I cannot run "apt-get upgrade" because I know it will screw up my video drivers again.
Does somebody have soms tips on this? I want up to date drivers and an up to date XBMC.
Here is a howto for you: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116996

If you need personal help, join #xbmc-xvba
costs: two gummibears / half an hour
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I remember that tutorial since I have followed a lot of tutorials on this issue.
My findings with any of them:

- Not being able to login anymore (like the situation I mentioned above)
- Main menu of XBMC responding terribly slow (key press takes a few seconds to respond)

I don't remember which result belongs to which tutorial.
then you'd be the first one that doesn't get it to work.
When you update your system with apt-get update and apt-get upgrade you probably also update the video driver to a newer version. This could cause the issues.
Perhaps next weekend, I will try the update without the video drivers.
I hate this, because I want an updates system where I can just run upgrades system-wide.

I already found the ATi updates in the update list, and froze them, but I need to make some time for it, my HTPC does daily backups of important filesystem paths, so I am prepared. If anything goes wrong, I can revert a backup directly trough SSH and reboot.

The frustration here is that with my current installation, I sometimes see horizontal distortion lines within movies (with fast scenes etc.), so I think I need to update my video card drivers anyways.

Next weekend I will experiment with some solutions online, and keep reverting backups and updating until it works, or until there is no possible solution but keep excluding the video updates.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbmcbuntu - AMD - Video driver headaches0