gt610? vs a4 3400apu deinterlacing choice?
Hi

I have a stable amd a4 3400 apu running on xubuntu wsnipex fernetmenta xvba 12.1. I play mostly 1080i both h.264 capped from a hdpvr as well as 1080i mpeg2 capped over the air. almost everything is 29.97 content, telecined, that I watch. Deinterlacing auto xvba best is pretty good. And is 59.94 when working.

I want to know if people have good luck with advanced deinterlacing on the gt610. I use an external 90watt PSU and it uses 20watts from the wall now on pure apu. The gt610 should work with a low tdp of 30. But is it worth upgrading? Searches seem to indicate that the power thirsty gt430 chokes on some 1080i with advanced deinterlacing. My power requirement is crazy. But on windows I get VA which is sharper and low power. I know this is a driver restriction but I want opinions on gt610.

If it makes sense I can wait til Kepler matures into other lines or AMD adds VA to Linux drivers. Any input is appreciated. PQ is important to me. Xvba was a huge improvement. :-)
TIA. G
My main use case is 1080i as well. In my living room I use an atom board with gt520m (same spec as gt610). I don't think that power consumption goes much beyond 40 watts. I have set the advanced deinterlacing methods of vdpau to 4 past and 2 future fields in XVBA version.
As long as Intel and AMD don't catch up on deinterlacing, you won't see those hw underneath my tv.
I have researched this a while ago. You need at least a gt430 or a gt630 and up to get decent deinterlacing. Spatial/temporal that is.
@basco, not with the upcoming version of vdpau I mentioned. gt610 is all you need.
@FernetMenta I will buy a card then. Thanks! Low cost. So low risk. Just disruptive if I bork the install.

@basco I found the same searching. This was why I asked.

I will get a card this WE and report back once all setup.

Thx G
I'm on 12.04lts. Which driver version is best. Tried current but it was stuck on 640x480. I can go to the amd gfx to fix the nvidea.
@FernetMenta

when will we see this in new version of vdpau in xbmc-xvba-frodo?
what is exactly improved in this new version of vdpau?

thanks!
It is in xbmc-xvba-frodo for quite a long time. xvba follows the new design of vdpau.
The most noteworthy is:

- performance improvement by using vdpau opengl interoperation: GL_NV_vdpau_interop
- better performance by running deinterlacing on a dedicated thread.
- improved quality of deinterlacing by using 4 past and 2 future fields instread of the minimum of 2 past and 1 future (this takes a little bit away from the performance gain)
- general improvements: current mainline version freezes every now and then for a short time, then going fast forward
@FernetMenta

Great news got installed. Gigabyte fanless gt610 1gbmodel from micro center. I chose vdapu hardware acc the deinterlacing gave me the option temporal/spacial and it is quite good. AMD xvba was descent BOB? but this is great. I inverse telescene my important material and reencode for super quality. This now is just as good.

How do I know if I have 4/2 frame deint. I am using a self patched build of your frodo xvba.

Power supply update was needed.
Modding case to fit and this card gets hot
Run PC from working grfx as default driver borks on this card
Downloading from nvidia site 310.344 driver
Run:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
Install the driver downloaded
Reboot.
Quote:How do I know if I have 4/2 frame deint. I am using a self patched build of your frodo xvba.

This is hard coded. If you changed it, you would know Smile
Thx. So to be clear, all 12.1 xvba/vdapu builds have it? I was not sure if I needed to get 12.2. I did not see 4/2 as an option. So temporal/spacial = 4/2 then? TIA

I'm off to cut up my htpc case now to get it all to fit and cool down now! She is here to stay for a while. Thanks for the hard work on this advanced deinterlacing branch. It is top notch. I feel like I just got a new toy. :-)
It has not changed much for more than a year: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/870
Some days ago an important dependency got merged which brought us closer to seeing this in mainline.
Thanks will study the PR. 1+ :-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
gt610? vs a4 3400apu deinterlacing choice?0