xbmc on linux mint crash
installed linux mint 13 xfce 32-bit and installed xbmc following instructions found on a youtube video but opening terminal and typing:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc
when i launch xbmc it goes to the logo screen for a sec then crashes and goes back to linux mint desktop. i fairly new to linux and xbmc, i am not sure why or what is causing it to crash, the laptop that i am running it on is a dell inspiron 600m
What gpu does that laptop have? What video driver are you running?
typed in lspci | grep VGA in terminal and this is the graphics info it gave me:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Radeon RV250 [Mobility FireGL 9000] (rev 02)

typed lsmod | grep radeon in terminal and this is driver info it gave me:
radeon 729591 2
ttm 65344 1 radeon
drm_kms_helper 45466 1 radeon
drm 197692 4 radeon,ttm,drm_kms_helper
i2c_algo_bit 13199 1 radeon
any ideas or suggestion on how to solve this problem of xbmc crashing when launched?
You really need the fglrx driver for an ATi card. Whether ATi currently support that card is unknown to me, and I tend to avoid ATi for their very poor graphics support.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Hi ronetone,

I'm a complete newbie on it, but I also think the problem is your graphics card. AMD on Linux means problems and more problems, I know it by my own experience.

For starting, Ubuntu 13 (in with this linux mint is based on) doesn't work ok with most of AMD gfrlx, so I reccomend you to swith to 12.10 or even 12,4.

Besides that, you have to install XBMC 12.2 frodo, not 13.0 ALPHA, since 13.0 in my experience can boot but crashes in the way you tell with AMD graphics cards.

And.... of course, you have to find a driver version suitable for your model, that if I'm not wrong is a Radeon 9000, whose is realy old. You're gonna need a legacy driver for it, and I don't even know if it's possible.

Regards
if your old ati does not work try to install the opengl mesa drivers.
i'm running 12.2 Frodo in mint lisa on a centrino duo T2300 with Ati X1400 seemless

edit: it seems i misread your type of card since the radeon 9000 is not supported by OpenGL 2.1 and latest XBMC does not work on previous versions http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1809002

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc on linux mint crash0