Variable skip steps (like MediaPortal)?
Hi,

Recent Mediaportal "convert" here, running Frodo on 64-bit Win7 in the living room, Raspbmc Frodo (May Release) in the bedroom. Finally got shared MySQL metadata working, thanks to help from other posts in this forum.

"WAF" issue here... my wife complained about Mediaportal, but so far seems ok with XBMC (time will tell, especially as I tackle Live TV). Her biggest gripe, however, is a MediaPortal feature not in XBMC (skip steps). The "missing" functionality annoys me, too... so I've been trying to figure out if it's feasible to retrofit XBMC to mimic the MediaPortal skip steps feature.

MP's skip steps work like so: instead of XBMC's two step granularities in each direction ("big" and "small"), you have unlimited granularity. You can, for example, fill the skip steps field in with a value of "10,30,120,300,600,1800" and what happens is when you press skip in either direction the skip doesn't happen instantly... ex. skipping forward would display "+10 sec" on the screen for a moment, but you can then press skip several more times to change that display to "+30 sec", "+2 min", "+5 min", etc. A half second of so after you stop pressing skip, the currently-displayed jump value is executed. It's a very, very easy way to allow just the right amount of skip at any given point. When you reach a skip value that would exceed the program's endpoints the display switches to "START" or "END" and the skip will go either to the program start or to a point maybe 10 seconds from the program end.

Any chance there's a plugin I don't know about that would allow this functionality? Once you get used to that sort of control it's hard to go back to two skip options in each direction.

Thanks!
you can enter the time you want to go to within the video and then skip to that point. IE if you want to go to 1hour30 you enter 13000 then right button.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Hi, I just start exploring XBMC (on RPi) coming from Mediaportal and I miss this feature, too. Apparently, reading the answers there seems to be no option for this very useful feature in XBMC.
(2013-12-18, 21:55)mediaportaler Wrote: Hi, I just start exploring XBMC (on RPi) coming from Mediaportal and I miss this feature, too. Apparently, reading the answers there seems to be no option for this very useful feature in XBMC.

Someone is working on it (or at least, indicated a strong interest in it), but all good things take time.
I think this would be great when someone implements it!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Hi XBMC folks,

same story as @mrbenji@. I come from MediaPortal. Used this for more than 4 years. Now i replaced my HTPC with an Android TV Box. XBMC runs very well on this, but i have some usability features that i am missing coming from MediaPortal.
The skip feature mentioned here is one of them.

Can we find out if is someone working on it?

Regards
Paul
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=194950
Thanks for your response. I see, all MediaPortal users love this feature Smile
We also had that feature in the homebrew version of WDTV Live. It was excellent and am looking forward when it becomes part of XBMC. However, being that I almost always use a keyboard with my HTPC, I simply enter the time I want to jump to and press enter. IE. To go to 12min 43 sec, I press 1243 then Enter key and I'm there.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Variable skip steps (like MediaPortal)?0