Linux Kubuntu with AMD and XBMC, is impossible?
Sad 
Hi all,

I'm unable to make XBMC work with AMD C60, E-450 or AMD Trinity, and the weirdest is that three mouths ago or so I did with a computer based on Ontario C-60 and as far as I remember it worked. It seems that KDE is causing the problem but I really really would like to find the problem and solve it, so the first question is.... has anyone get a functional XBMC on AMD Radeon VGA and Kubuntu??

If I use Kubuntu 12.10 or 13.10 and the automated script: LINK XBMC simply refuses to boot, when I click on it for a moment it seems like is loading, but then, nothing.

So I've been working on Kubuntu 12.10 and latest Fglrx from AMD, 13.6:
*If I install XBMC 12.2 system doesn't crash but I've a huge lag in the mouse pointer and videos got like hanged if I try to navigate throught menus when playing.
*If I install XBMC 13.0 Alpha lag dissapears but I get ramdom crashes of XBMC and if I try to move a film forward it algo crashes.

I've try kubuntu 13.04 since latest AMD drivers are supposed to work on it, but when trying to install them they returm an error and I'm unable to install them

If someone can lend me a hand I even can make a video showing the problem.

Please Any Idea? do I have to surrender?
Hi again,

I realize it's difficult to get any help with this Sad. Ok. I'm going to tell the tests I'm performing, so perhaps it will help other people.

Since I was in a point with kubuntu in with I didn't know what to do I decided to try Xubuntu, after all, in this great tutorial by guilmxm Xubuntu and Lubuntu are the only -buntus- reccomended if you plan to use XBMC.

I install Xubuntu 12.10 (since its supposed to work with both AMD Zacate and AMD Trinity APUS), disable compositing and install SSH, so I can connect via putty.

If I use the Bram77's script the result is exactly the same I had with Kubuntu: XBMC refuses to boot!!. After all, perhaps the problem is not KDE......

I try other strategy, installing AMD fglrx 13.6 beta and then XBMC, as Fritsch helped me. In Kubuntu I can do it but have problems with both 12.2 and 13.0 alpha XBMC..... Well, I attempt to install AMD 13.6 connected via SSH:

Code:
1.- wget http://www2.ati.com/drivers/beta/amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13-6-beta-x86.x86_64.zip
2.- unzip amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13-6-beta-x86.x86_64.zip
3.- sudo service lightdm stop
4.- sudo apt-get install dh-make dh-modaliases execstack dkms linux-headers-`uname -r`
5.- sudo sh amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13-6-beta-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg
6.- sudo dpkg -i --force-all fglrx_13.101-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb fglrx-amdcccle_13.101-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb fglrx-dev_13.101-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
7.- sudo aticonfig --initial -f
8.- sudo aticonfig --sync-vsync=on
9.- sudo cp ~/signature /etc/ati/
10.- sudo reboot

The problems comes in the step number 5, when trying to build package:

Code:
elhtpc@ELHTPC:~$ sudo sh amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13-6-beta-x86.x86_64.run                                           --buildpkg
Created directory fglrx-install.a3YKSC
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing AMD Catalyst(TM) Proprietary Driver-13.101........................                                          ................................................................................                                          ................................................................................                                          ................................................................................                                          ................................................................................                                          ................................................................................                                          ................................................................................                                          ................................................................................                                          ................................................................................                                          ................................................................................                                          ................................................................................                                          ................................................................................                                          ................................................................................                                          ................................................................................                                          ..........................................................................
=====================================================================
AMD Catalyst(TM) Proprietary Driver Installer/Packager
=====================================================================
Generating package: Ubuntu/quantal
Resolving build dependencies...
apt 0.9.7.5ubuntu5 for amd64 compiled on Oct 16 2012 10:57:14
Usage: apt-get [options] command
       apt-get [options] install|remove pkg1 [pkg2 ...]
       apt-get [options] source pkg1 [pkg2 ...]

apt-get is a simple command line interface for downloading and
installing packages. The most frequently used commands are update
and install.

Commands:
   update - Retrieve new lists of packages
   upgrade - Perform an upgrade
   install - Install new packages (pkg is libc6 not libc6.deb)
   remove - Remove packages
   autoremove - Remove automatically all unused packages
   purge - Remove packages and config files
   source - Download source archives
   build-dep - Configure build-dependencies for source packages
   dist-upgrade - Distribution upgrade, see apt-get(8)
   dselect-upgrade - Follow dselect selections
   clean - Erase downloaded archive files
   autoclean - Erase old downloaded archive files
   check - Verify that there are no broken dependencies
   changelog - Download and display the changelog for the given package
   download - Download the binary package into the current directory

Options:
  -h  This help text.
  -q  Loggable output - no progress indicator
  -qq No output except for errors
  -d  Download only - do NOT install or unpack archives
  -s  No-act. Perform ordering simulation
  -y  Assume Yes to all queries and do not prompt
  -f  Attempt to correct a system with broken dependencies in place
  -m  Attempt to continue if archives are unlocatable
  -u  Show a list of upgraded packages as well
  -b  Build the source package after fetching it
  -V  Show verbose version numbers
  -c=? Read this configuration file
  -o=? Set an arbitrary configuration option, eg -o dir::cache=/tmp
See the apt-get(8), sources.list(5) and apt.conf(5) manual
pages for more information and options.
                       This APT has Super Cow Powers.
Unable to resolve  libqtgui4.  Please manually install and try again.

It fails with "Unable to resolve libqtgui4. Please manually install and try again." final message, so we are worse with Xubuntu 12.10 than with Lubuntu 12.10.....

I'm going to look for information and try to understand what the hell is happening.....

Regards
Code:
sudo apt-get install libqtgui4

To add: What out of this error message was unclear?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hi fritsch, and many thanks for posting.

I googled a bit and realized that I had been in a mistake, I thought the messange meant that I had to install manually the driver, not libqtgui4. Once solved this and installed gflrx 13.6 the results are the same I had with kubuntu, so the problem is not in KDE.

I've try OpenElec and it includes XBMC 12.2 Frodo, working perfectly (it takes a bit time to go ok when I move slider of time in Avatar BD, but I suppose it's usual with this hardware), so there is something (an XBMC setting or 13.6 gfxlr, or something in ibuntu 12.10 causing the problem.

Having installed Frodo 12.10 in Xubuntu 12.10 I get the problem o mouse lag and when I navigate on the menus having que film playing, film is not ok (I'm going to make a video and post here later).

How have I install Xubuntu?

-Install OS on the disk, common installation

-Disable Compositing

-Update System
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade –y
sudo reboot

-Install SSD
Code:
sudo apt-get install ssh

-Following the instructions of guilmxm I install:
Code:
sudo apt-get install ssh python-software-properties udisks upower xorg alsa-utils mesa-utils git-core librtmp0 lirc libmad0 lm-sensors lib32gcc1 libc6-i386 dkms libbluray1

-Install gfxlr 13.6, so I copy extracted "amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13-6-beta-x86.x86_64.run" on home folder and:
Code:
sudo service lightdm stop
sudo apt-get install dh-make dh-modaliases execstack dkms linux-headers-`uname -r`
sudo sh amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13-6-beta-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg
sudo dpkg -i --force-all fglrx_13.101-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb fglrx-amdcccle_13.101-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb fglrx-dev_13.101-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
sudo aticonfig --initial -f
sudo aticonfig --sync-vsync=on
sudo cp ~/signature /etc/ati/
sudo reboot
Now copy signature file to /etc/ati folder in order to make "testing only" messager dissapear

-Install Frodo:
Code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba-frodo
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-bin
sudo reboot

Audio is set to Analog exit so there is no DTS, TrueHD and all those things that AMD is not compatible.

I'm going to check all the menus options that are configured in OpenElec and compare with the ones I have on Xubuntu's XBMC....

Regards
Many thanks for reading and specially to fritsch for his helping in this and other threads.

After checking default settings on OpenElec I realized that in the menu "Video Output" the feature "Vertical Blank Sync" was set in "always" on and in XBMC installed on Xubuntu was with a different option (set by drivers or something like this). After changing this the mouse lag seems to have dissapear or at least very minimized. I've try on Kubuntu and also works, so it was not a problem due to KDE.

Anyone could send me a link that tell all the most adviceable settings in XBMC for an AMD APU?

Many thanks
Everything you need is in this howto
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2013-06-09, 20:45)fritsch Wrote: Everything you need is in this howto

Many thanks again,

You mean this one: LINK

Since I'm using kubuntu and a gflrx driver that doesn't appear on this tutorial and the ones on this forum I'm not sure about what is completely appliable or not to me.

Yesterday night I installed fglrx 13.6 and XBMC 12.2 on a kubuntu 13.04 and seemt to work nice (this AMD driver is supposed to work on raring). I'll post to comment if it finally works fine after more testing.

Thanks and regards
I think he means this one: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116996 which is stickied in this forum.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kubuntu with AMD and XBMC, is impossible?0