Migrating from MediaPortal
Hi All,

I have been a happy mediaportal/Windows user for the last few years, but got frustrated with the load times and delays presumably caused by Windows bloat! So in my search for a smoother experience, I found a few XBMC options - OpenElec and XBMCbuntu! I'm excited to give either a try, but wanted to make sure all the 'functions' I currently have with Mediaportal I will be able to have in these XBMC builds to keep the wife happy! I'm not sure which build is the best choice, my main priority is loading/running speed, and ease of use. I don't mind a bit of fiddling to get things setup. I believe XBMCbuntu to be more 'minimal' so probably faster, though I could be incorrect with that assumption.

My system spec is:
AMD A10-5800K with integrated 512MB Radeon HD 7660D graphics
8GB RAM
HP MCE Receiver & Remote
Leadtek Winfast DTV2000 DS Plus TV Tuner card

The plugins in Mediaportal I use the most and hoping for equivalents of are:
MV Central - Music Video manager which scrapes artist/song info from last.fm
OnlineVideos - Collection of lots of sites from around the world to stream video content including tv shows and movies
WiFi Remote/AMPDroid - to use my Android phone as a remote control and also stream videos from my collection to my Android phone

The last function I rely heavily on is to watch/pause/rewind live TV and very occasionally record and schedule recordings. From my understanding TVHeadend or VDR are the backends to provide this functionality? Will my TV Tuner (above) be supported by these backends? Will it work better/be easier to setup on either OpenElec or XBMCbuntu?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
XBMC does not do live tv or recording except as a frontend to other recording software like mythtv or tvheadend. Other than needing to install a backend, it should do what you want.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
sorry double post.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Migrating from MediaPortal0