Win "Error: Unable to create GUI. Exiting"
Hi All

Please help steer a newbie down the right path. I am brand new to XBMC (...excited to get it running), and cannot get the program to start successfully. A search of the Windows Support forum does not yield answers to the issue (although there are hits on the text of the error message).

Launching the program results in this error message:

Reading the log (link below) shows debug logging is off... How can I enable this, if I cannot get to the GUI in the first place ? Is there a preference file I can edit manually ?

XBMC: Frodo v12.2
Windows XP-Pro/SP3+ all security updates (32-bit)
mobo: Intel DP55WG
CPU: Intel i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz
RAM: 4 GB Micron (DDR3 1333)
video: Asus EN9600GT Silent-HTDI-512M, dual DVI out (driver: NVIDIA v301.42 [2012-06-04])
monitor: 2 x Dell 1905FP (19-inch, 4:3) connected via DVI
audio: ESI Juli@ PCI, M-Audio Delta 1010 PCI, onboard Intel audio
- no TVtuner card -

xbmc.log: http://pastebin.com/mL0gMZ3Y
crashlog: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zubsp8yugm34oo...dmp?v=0rc-
stacktrace: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l1bh99e4srozmn...235241.txt

Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions.
Cheers,
Grant
::  LibreELEC 9.2.6 RELEASE - Generic x86_64  ::  Intel 847 NUC  ::  KVR1333D3S9/4G  ::  Kingston SMS200S3/30G mSATA  ::  MS 1044 MCE keyboard  ::  GP-IR02BK remote  ::  Xonfluence  ::  10.9TiB on FreeNAS v11.3-U5 (RAID-Z2)  ::
Update the gpu driver and try.

Read http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Log_file/Advanced to know how to enable debug log.
Hi baijuxavior

Thanks for your quick reply. I followed the link you supplied (thanks for that), and created the entry to enable debug logging.

I also updated my nVidia drivers to the current stable release from GeForce.com (ie: v320.18_WinXP WHQL [2013-05-23]).

All this done to say: I receive the same error when XBMC is launched.

xbmc.log: http://pastebin.com/au5zb5Cw
crashlog: http://db.tt/FJBKKQbh
stacktrace: http://db.tt/KTHhqj2z

Any further ideas would be greatly appreciated... it would be really great to experience what all the buzz is about !

Cheers,
Grant
::  LibreELEC 9.2.6 RELEASE - Generic x86_64  ::  Intel 847 NUC  ::  KVR1333D3S9/4G  ::  Kingston SMS200S3/30G mSATA  ::  MS 1044 MCE keyboard  ::  GP-IR02BK remote  ::  Xonfluence  ::  10.9TiB on FreeNAS v11.3-U5 (RAID-Z2)  ::
I have the same problem. I need help. Thanks.
...Anybody Huh
I know WinXP doesn't support hardware acceleration in XBMC's internal video player, but you should still be able to start up the GUI.

Unless your DirectX install is borked...
Heh-heh... in a vain and pointless attempt (so it seems), I re-ran "directx_Jun2010_v9.29.1974_redist.exe" to refresh any files that may have needed it. Can't find an execution log to verify anything was actually changed. Onward...

Relaunched xbmc. Same error as before.

Can anyone interpret the log I've provided, as far as spotting a condition that leads to this crash ?

Thanks again for any and all help.
Cheers,
Grant
...Log Readers ?
It seems the other people haven't met such a problem. Til now I still cannot run XBMC.
(2013-06-23, 15:33)Bennie Wrote: It seems the other people haven't met such a problem. Til now I still cannot run XBMC.

@Bennie

It seems anyone who can help interpret the crash log have other things to do. Perhaps try MediaPortal ?
Have you tried moving/deleting the xbmc userdata folder? If the pc is just going to be used as a htpc take a look at openelec.
(2013-06-30, 00:58)teeedubb Wrote: Have you tried moving/deleting the xbmc userdata folder? If the pc is just going to be used as a htpc take a look at openelec.

@teeedubb
Thanks for the reply and suggestion.

Deleted "userdata" folder and launched xbmc. Same result (though the usderdata folder was recreated before the crash).

Without knowing what a "normal" execution log looks like, I cannot troubleshoot the messages being sent as the program crashes. Too bad for me the "Log Swamis" are busy elsewhere.

This installation (on my main desktop environment) was intended to familiarize myself with xbmc basics, prior to building a dedicated HTPC. A rather inauspicious start.

I've looked at openelec, and it seems a very good option (though I've never touched anything Linux before). Perhaps you know the answer to this: is there a suitable Linux+xbmc-compatible driver available for the M-Audio Delta 1010 PCI soundcard ? My goal is to feed audio directly to poweramps & powered speakers (no AVR involved), decoding all audio within the HTPC.

Thank you for any pointers...
Grant
Yeah I couldnt see anything obvious in your log files, but Im no expert. A quick google and I get the impression that your soundcard will work in openelec, but the easiest way to test if it works would be to test it out - you can install openelec to a usb thumb drive and use it along side your current install, dont like it just wipe the thumb drive.
(2013-06-30, 01:50)teeedubb Wrote: ...the easiest way to test if it works would be to test it out - you can install openelec to a usb thumb drive and use it along side your current install...

@teeedubb

Heh-heh... "easy" is a relative term I suppose. Downloaded "OpenELEC Stable - Generic i386 Version:3.0.6"... finally got a USB Install stick created that didn't hang during bootup... and when the nice grey screen popped up, I found the app would not respond to any keyboard commands.

There's a report of exactly the same symptom in the OpenELEC forum ( http://openelec.tv/forum/64-installation...ot-working ). Glad it's not just me... and I'm using a bog standard Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 wired USB keyboard - nothing fancy here. Legacy USB support is enabled in BIOS, and indeed it works just fine in other non-Windows situations.

I presume the Install stick creates the executable environment (in this case, another USB stick) according to what hardware is present (ie: mobo resources, video & audio, network, etc), so there's no way around that step, if I want the "simplicity" and "ease" of running xbmc via OpenELEC.

Seems like no xbmc for this boy... no matter what path I take Sad
Lol... maybe its not meant to be? Would god be so cruel to prevent someone from using xbmc?

There's always the option of a manual install (check the OE wiki). You'll be fine in regards to drivers as its all contained in the files that are installed. Or you could try xbmcbuntu, maybe get lucky on the third try Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Error: Unable to create GUI. Exiting"0