Win "Error: Unable to create GUI. Exiting"
Exclamation 
Greetings,

I have the same issue with Jarvis ... "cannot create gui.

Using an HP dc2900 from 2009 with Win Vista and SP2.
I have DX11 according to dxdiag.
I have msvcr100.dll.
I have the latest video drivers.

I run 3-d CADD on this unit with no issues.

I am also running Kodi Jarvis on a 10 year old macbook which runs LinuxMint 17.3 (Cinnamon).

Both have Intel cards, Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family on the Vista laptop and on the 2006 apple: Intel 965/GL960 card.

Why does one work and not the other?

I'd expect the older machine to fail but that is not the case.

Any help greatly appreciated.
I also had this problem, and it was very quickly solved doing the steps below:

Control Panel, Display, Settings, Advanced, Troubleshoot, Hardware Acceleration = Full, Enable Write Combining, Click OK.

I just downloaded XBMC-12.3.exe and after doing the above steps, have it running on an old XP Laptop.

Graphics: Intel Mobile 945 Express Chipset
XP SP3 Home, ATOM N270 1.6Ghz, 2GB Ram

Downloads: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/win32/old/
Hi nvatray,

Thank you so much for posting this.
Would you mind posting more info about your system/GPU.
That way, others like you will be helped as well.
Thanks.
I had Kodi Jarvis 16.0 working on my computer for sometime and decided to install Kodi Jarvis 16.1. Once I reinstalled Jarvis 16.1 I received this message a message Error uable to open GUI. I have updated my driver and this has not fixed my problem. Tried a couple of reinstalls. No luck. I was not able to use the debugger log for Kodi because I can not get Kodi to start up now. Any guidance would be appreciated. I am a novice. Below are my specs:

VAIO computer- Window Vista Intel ® Core 2 Duo CPU T9950 @ 2.66 GHz 2.67 GHz Memory (ram): 4.00 GB System type: 64-bit operating system

NVIDIA Geforce 9600M GT

I have updated my video card driver.

I attempted the advice below but my video card setting don't allow me to enable write combing.

I have tried deleting "user data" in Kodi file.

Still no luck... Any help would be appreciated.
You can try to enable the debug log in advancedsettings.xml

Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <loglevel hide="true">2</loglevel>
</advancedsettings>
(2016-04-05, 05:25)nvatray Wrote: I also had this problem, and it was very quickly solved doing the steps below:

Control Panel, Display, Settings, Advanced, Troubleshoot, Hardware Acceleration = Full, Enable Write Combining, Click OK.

I just downloaded XBMC-12.3.exe and after doing the above steps, have it running on an old XP Laptop.

Graphics: Intel Mobile 945 Express Chipset
XP SP3 Home, ATOM N270 1.6Ghz, 2GB Ram

Downloads: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/win32/old/

Apparently my video card will not allow me to alter video card settings Sad !! (Even as Admin!!)

I have downloaded the previous version I had working and all is now well in my world.

Thanks for the link and the advice... I may try it on my old XP netbook.

Cheers
In my case, in a pentium 4 PC with Nvidia GeForce4 MX 440, any of the suggestions of updating my graphics drivers, installing ou installing Microsoft Visual C++ or deleting the files in profile folder didn' t work.

So I tried the versions before the actual 16.1 of kodi. Any 16 stable version ou 17 beta didn' t work. Only the version "kodi-15.2-Isengard.exe" worked. That's my suggestion.

Thanks anyway for the contributions of you guys.
installed kodi on friends laptop, was getting the gui error, win 7.
updating driver will fix if you have correct driver installed to begin with. in device manager, check display driver, if it says standard vga driver you most likely don't have correct one.
check your system to see what graphics card is installed. if its an amd they have a free download that will locate your driver and install correct display driver.
after completing, kodi now working like normal.
Got same error trying to install Kodi ver 17.0 onto my Win 7 Ultimate/64. Solved it by reinstalling the drivers that came with my motherboard.

Seems that what with installing new programs and video cards that "over time" my system had reverted to default generic Microsoft video drivers.... and lots of things were not working quite right.

For me...it was installing the latest Video Drivers for Catalyst ATI. In this process, I noticed the push even by the hardware vendors to have customers pay for driver update software? Seems cheesy to me...but thats what is happening. I don't like updating a system that is working for what I want to do. SO--this was a good case of needing to update as I could not install Kodi. I note the Driver Analysis Software says I have 44 old drivers and about 4 missing....yet I can do everything I want to...so I hesitate to trust the info. But then...right now...I'm not getting audio on my HDTV that is connected to my computer. downloading software for that right now.

DRIVERS. Seems to all come down to drivers. My first post. Hope I don't "need" this resource too much. Youtube "how to" videos have been a great help to me........and I never voluntarily chose to cut my cord: Comcast and Dish more or less pushed me to it with their customer relations skills. All VP's of Cable Marketing: should be fired.
I had this Error: Unable to create GUI. Exiting
problem after i turned on fast sync in nvidia driver.

The moment i set it back to "use the 3d application setting'" all worked as it should.
I got around the "ERROR: Unable to create GUI" problem by making a change on the Compatibility tab of the Kodi Shortcut properties page.

In the Settings section of the compatibility properties page I checked the box to "Run in 640 x 480 screen resolution" then clicked apply.

Kodi now started but wasn't full screen. From Kodi I went into the System/Settings page and changed the screen resolution. With this fix I briefly see the screen resolution change when clicking the Kodi shortcut. But once Kodi starts the resolution changes to whatever I set.

I still have a flaky driver issue (old notebook upgraded to Windows 10 - no new drivers available) but at least I got Kodi to start.
Okay, I have one question, which is, is it possible that a man fifty years ago left for a month and KODI has a problem to create a win7 64bit program. I can not believe this is happening, shame !!!
moon
(2017-11-16, 23:23)kargus Wrote: Okay, I have one question, which is, is it possible that a man fifty years ago left for a moon and KODI has a problem to create a win7 64bit program. I can not believe this is happening, shame !!!
What?
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Tongue 
(2017-11-16, 23:23)kargus Wrote: Okay, I have one question, which is, is it possible that a man fifty years ago left for a month and KODI has a problem to create a win7 64bit program. I can not believe this is happening, shame !!!
 Is this a philosophical question? Like, "if a tree fell in the forest, and no-one heard it, did it actually fall"?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Error: Unable to create GUI. Exiting"0