Most likey a very common question - Frodo Perfomance
Hello all,

I am new the forum and I have taken the time to look through all the guide and stickies to try and see if my problem is listed but it isn't so I decided to add a post.

I assume it's the most common support post, so I apologise for this.

Background

Issue: Performance
XBMC Host: Apple TV 2
Content Source: Synology NAS
Source Volume Size: 2TB
Content Database location: MySQL (from NAS)
XBMC Version: Frodo 12.2

I am having a couple of issues when using Apple TV2 and I am happy for anyone to point me in the correct direct for a fix.

1, When Searching through my large library on the apple TV2 GUI it is very common for XBMC to crash and reboot ATV2, so I am wondering if I have this setup correctly I was assuming moving to MySQL would take the weight off ATV and performance would be a lot better, since moving to MySQL I haven't really seen a difference.

2, Since the Frodo update to 12.2 if I am in the library and I select the movie I will to watch the working symbol appears in the bottom left which now stays for a period of up to 15mins before the movie will start. this never used to be the case the movie would always start instantly on previous version.
**Update navigating to the Files section and selecting a movie from here executes immediately, Library mode still hangs....I think library mode is the key feature of XBMC so I would to have this working once again.

Attempted Fixes
1. Due to my XBMC.log displaying "requiring authentication" i read a blog that this occurs while using AFP so i Changed the Protocol from AFP to NFS, set up the Nas to allow the NFS shares to be browsed from, this made not difference
2. Removed XBMC from Nito TV and tried a reinstall, this made no difference

Is there any Indexing that I made need to do in MySQL (MyphpAdmin)

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thank you
First off if you're experiencing crashes you need to post your logs. Without them I doubt anyone will be able to give you a specific fix.

I don't believe MySQL reduces demand on the ATV, the benefit is sharing with multiple devices. I didn't do any special indexing.

A couple of general suggestions. Appreciating that ATV2 has limited power you should try to stick to a pretty basic skin, and try to avoid too many addons. Pre-Frodo I could happily use Metropolis but since I can't without crashing (I think due to it's use of skin widgets). Don't know what progress has been made on the memory leak issue. Not sure how tied you are to nfs but reading the forums a number of people are having issues with nfs from a syno box, I use smb and that works well for me. You don't say if you're on a wired or wireless connection but I'd suggest wired.

That's all I've got, but sticking to confluence, smb sharing and few addons my ATV2, syno and MySQL are working for me with no real delays - even if not as I would ideally like.
Thanks for the response WelshPaul, I usually use AFP (zeroconfig) as the protocol and tested the move to NFS, if it's common to bring issues then I will move it back or look at SMB.
I am actually on wireless connection, however I did try the Ethernet over power option and I got the same performance, also I am using the default skin with Frodo 12.2 but I will look around for a more basic skin.

If the My SQL method does not reduce demand on the ATV then I guess it's down to my massive library with all the thumbnails as like stated before i don't see the issues using file mode

Great tips but I think I will cause a crash reboot (By doing a search) and post a log later.

I guess the overall solution would be to use the ATV3 (if only it was possible) as I believe this is much more powerful.

Thanks
aTV3 is not possible.

I have moved this thread to the atv2 subforum because most issues you are experiencing are directly related to the platform.
Please read the sticky threads in this forum as well as the atv2 frequently asked questions: XBMC_for_iOS_specific_FAQ (wiki)
I tried changing Protocol to no improvement,

I am yet to post my log which I will still do, but currently I am still seeing anything from 5 mins - 20 mins before any movie will start, it seems the smaller the file the quicker it starts so I am not sure if I have nay buffering or cache option on.

the Log file is showing this....

From the moment I select my movie in the log I get the following (for all formats, MKV, Avi, MP4)
DVDPlayer: Opening: afp://192.168.0.4:548/video/Movies/Action/Movie.mkv
CDVDMessageQueue(player):Tongueut MSGQ_NOT_INITIALIZED
Creating InputStream

now the log goes Idle and I have the Working icon on my TV screen and this is where is can take anything from 5 mins - 20 mins before the movie starts (use to be instant)
once the movie starts I get the info of the movie in the log
Creating Demuxer
Opening video stream: 0 source: 25
CDVDAudioCodecPassthroughFFmpeg::Open - FFmpeg SPDIF muxer does not support this codec

I have attempted to clean library to see if this would help but unfortunately it hasn't?
The log probably goes idle because you didn't enable debug logging.
how big are these files? obviously, the smaller the file, the quicker the load time. if your're trying to play a 5 - 6GB file on a server, on an ATV2....... expect to wait. especially if it's a badly formatted MKV file.

might help to set the debug logging on (as suggested), and post your complete log as specified by the instruction in this forum.
you also never say what skin you are using.
my atv setup, i've done the stuff that has been suggested, and seem to do fine:

this post is a good place to start -- http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=155836
Linux Mint 18 LTS 64-bit - Kodi 17 Beta6
Odroid-C2 - Libreelec v7.90.009

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Most likey a very common question - Frodo Perfomance0