XBMC on next gen PS4 console?
I know in the past there has been talk of XBMC on game consoles and it's never been possible, but this time it really does seem like it could happen.

- PS4 is x86 so the code should just work. I'm not sure of the graphics API (PS4 uses libGCM and their version of OpenGL called PSGL)
- it allows self publishing so any app/game can be published, unlike on XBox One
- there is plenty of memory

Do I dare to dream?
Dream if you want, but I doubt it would ever happen. Porting is a major undertaking, and no Tram XBMC dev is interested in porting to game consoles. There's always restrictions, too.
I bet there's alot of hoops to jump through to self publish a game/app, and who's to say Sony won't remove this feature some time down the track. I think hell would freeze over before Sony allowed a app that could play any type of media under the sun on their locked down console.

For the price of a ps4 game you can get yourself a android box to use for xbmc...
(2013-06-18, 01:37)teeedubb Wrote: I bet there's alot of hoops to jump through to self publish a game/app, and who's to say Sony won't remove this feature some time down the track. I think hell would freeze over before Sony allowed a app that could play any type of media under the sun on their locked down console.

For the price of a ps4 game you can get yourself a android box to use for xbmc...

Look at how they removed the ability to put Linux on the PS3 a couple of years ago
Now..

The PS4 is hacked and able to run Linux Kernel. Trivial patches to libdrm, mesa, and xf86-video-ati enabled 3D acceleration atop the Gallium3D driver.

So it probably won't take long untill we see functional, atleast ffmpeg decoding, Kodi on this device.
I think that is wishful thinking. It looks like they used an exploit in the online manual option in the PS4 menu. I'd have to figure Sony is already diligently working on patching the hole in their system. That is the bad thing about developing for a "requires a hack to work"/closed system. Once the hack is addressed you are out of luck Sad

I think we have a much better shot with Windows 10 universal apps on Xbox one, but I'm not going to get excited for it yet.... Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on next gen PS4 console?0