Mutually exclusive inputs for XBMC while working on the PC
Thumbs Up 
I am new to this forum, so HELLO everyone.

I recently changed my HTPC setup. I have my main workstation in my office, which is powerful enough for the setup I was shooting for. I bought a WHDI kit so I could extend my display to the HDTV in the living room. XBMC plays well on my HDTV with this setup and I can control it via a remote on my windows phone. But I wanted something a little more physical and that's what brings me here.

The main requirement for me is to allow others to control XBMC in the living room while I am working in my office using my other two monitors. So inputs to XBMC and my work should be mutually exclusive.
And I need some kind of button so I can select/configure subtitles easily (a lot of anime consumption in my household).

I am thinking about a Game Controller or a Remote with QWERTY keyboard.

Any suggestions, recommendations or insight would be much appreciated.

Cheers.
I had initially posted this on another thread but I did not receive any replies after 50ish views. I think it was because it wasn't filed under the right section.

I am new to this forum, so HELLO everyone.

I recently changed my HTPC setup. I have my main workstation in my office, which is powerful enough for the setup I was shooting for. I bought a WHDI kit so I could extend my display to the HDTV in the living room. XBMC plays well on my HDTV with this setup and I can control it via a remote on my windows phone. But I wanted something a little more physical and that's what brings me here.

The main requirement for me is to allow others to control XBMC in the living room while I am working in my office using my other two monitors. So inputs to XBMC and my work should be mutually exclusive.
And I need some kind of button so I can select/configure subtitles easily (a lot of anime consumption in my household).

I am thinking about a Game Controller or a Remote with QWERTY keyboard.

Any suggestions, recommendations or insight would be much appreciated.

Cheers.
yatse on any android device is pretty much all i use, unless i'm sitting by my computer keyboard.
There is always the MCE Remote option if you can place the IR receiver in the HDTV room and run/extend it's USB cable back to the PC.
AFAIK, that wouldn't be possible as your HID inputs (keyboard, remote, etc) will function regardless of what program has focus.

I probably would have saved the money you used on an WHDI kit and bought/built a cheap XBMC client.
(2013-06-19, 05:10)vmstek Wrote: There is always the MCE Remote option if you can place the IR receiver in the HDTV room and run/extend it's USB cable back to the PC.

Thanks, are you talking about MCE remotes that send multimedia signals/commands instead of keyboard shortcuts?

If so, this would work if the rooms were next to each other. I wanted to go as wireless as possible and running a cable across rooms is not feasible.

I wonder if there are any bluetooth/wireless MCE remotes that only send multimedia signals/commands.

I have been looking around, and I think using the web interface like the smart phone apps do is the only option.

Also, Anynet+ remote for my Samsung HDTV might work.
If you are goin wireless follow Wes advice and use yatse on a android device ...it communicates with xbmc s webserver so it should not affect any another software that may have focus
yatse won't affect anything else, it interacts directly with XBMC.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I'm looking for something similar myself. I want somebody to be able to sit by the computer to surf, while the person watching XBMC can still control xbmc.

I wonder if XBMC runs on vmware will work? It has to be a fairly powerful pc with support for 3D on the guest os.

I haven't tried this myself though.
Thanks for your inputs people.

I have new information about my set up and there are a couple of things I am going to try this weekend when I am free.

These are sorted as my preferred options.

1. I will see if HDMI CEC (Anynet+) will work using my Samsung HDTV Remote + Actiontec MyWirelessTV + XBMC. (Number of remotes = 1)
2. The Actiontec MyWirelessTV comes with a IR Remote, so I it might work with XBMC, or I can customize it using EventGhost. (Number of remotes = 2)
3. If the built in remote doesn't work, The Actiontec MyWirelessTV comes with an USB port. If this port will pair with an external input, I should be able to use any remote (Bluetooth, RF, IR, etc). (Number of remotes = 2)
4. If all else fails for a physical remote, I can use one of the Windows phone/Windows 8 xbmc remotes (I know this works and I am currently using it). (Number of remotes = 2)

I will update this thread when I am able to test these scenarios.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mutually exclusive inputs for XBMC while working on the PC0