Win Really New To XBMC
I'm new to this and can't believe I've missed this for so long

I've got a pc i want to try and turn into a media centre. Its in a tower at the moment and has 6-8gb of ram (waiting on 2x4gb to replace the 2x1gb)
I don't know where to start. I've installed the windows version on it and it seems to run ok but no hdmi socket on motherboard.

heres my motherboard read out

So I need a little help as i dunno what case to buy (cheapest)
If I need a graphics card (cheapest)
If case has no remote control (what one to get)
Anything else I'm missing as new to this.

let me know if you need more details

please if you can help & sorry if this is not in the right place to ask for help
thanks alot
Chris
I think this all depends what you want from your system. My HTPC also does not have HDMI, i run it with VGA from PC to TV, and soundcourd to amp. I am happy with this, but I know alot of people rather prefer HDMI.

Secondly on the remote, with most remotes, you get a I/R receiver with the remote, just plug it in, install it, and setup the remote. If you have an android (or apple?) device, you can use that as your remote control aswell. My old HTC Desire is my dedicated remote for my HTPC's at home, running YATSE remote, and it works very good
(2013-06-20, 10:50)endlesslyonline Wrote: I think this all depends what you want from your system.

Aye, there's the rub!
If you've already installed the windows version, you must know whether you're over the first hurdle - I tried the XBMCbuntu Live on several PCs before I found one which would give me the basic XBMC display, and then installed on that.
Next, get hold of some video files/DVDs, and see how it makes out on that - whether they play smoothly.
Have a look at the XBMC settings, and that will show what resolution you are using - is it enough for you?

If, now, you find lacks, then you can think about graphics cards and better Monitor.
Derek
* moved thread to "hardware for XBMC"

You really need to think about how and where you will be using this system.
Is it going to be in your living room ?
Should it be silent ?
Are you going to hook up surround-sound speakers ?
Are you hooking up a AV-receiver / professional AMP ?
Do you care about HD audio support ?
Does it need to be remote controlled or are you sitting next to it ?
Do you have a IOS or android phone available that you would want to use as a control device ?
Are you going to watch 1080p HD material on a supporting TV ?

Once you have a good idea about what you want to accomplish we can help you with the cheapest hardware needed to accomplish it.
This is better than just advicing you hardware based off of our personal requirements, which will likely be too expensive or just not right for your wishes.

The mobo is fine, processor is more than sufficient, but I do not see what videocard you have.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Really New To XBMC0