How to boot Xbmc Linux from USB atv1 wo affecting Mac os
Not much on the surface, except it's really easy to install extra stuff like a PVR server, torrent client, etc on OpenELEC. However, in my experience, Crystalbuntu runs better on the ATV1. I love OpenELEC for a lot of things, but it just doesn't run as fast as Crystalbuntu on the ATV1.
I have read some of the flash drives are to slow to make it workable. Anyone know of a good model? I wanted to try the sandisk cruiser 8gb and the Kingston data traveler 8gb
I've had good luck with the ADATA Pro series that uses USB 3. Even though the ATV1 is only USB 2, the memory chip controller in the ADATA drive is faster, and they're about the same price as USB 2 drives anyways.
I'm not finding how to install openelc to the USB without touching the hard drive. I tried crystal but it just boots up to the penguin and sits there and then reboots to the Apple TV os
I posted the link.
Will the atv boot from a USB if attached to a hub? I hate not having a keyboard. On my atv2 I have rowmote but I don't know how to make it work on original atv
Yep, works great via a hub, and still boots pretty fast, too.
I just tried doing the update to openeelc since i saw it cant be done via the apple tv due to some error and i get this
cp: can't create '/storage/.update/KERNEL': Path does not exist
cp: can't create '/storage/.update/KERNEL.md5': Path does not exist
cp: can't create '/storage/.update/MACH_KERNEL': Path does not exist
cp: can't create '/storage/.update/MACH_KERNEL.md5': Path does not exist
cp: can't create '/storage/.update/SYSTEM': Path does not exist
cp: can't create '/storage/.update/SYSTEM.md5': Path does not exist
i tried to also make a copy of one stick i made to make another one. I did this in umbuntu trying to drag and drop the contents over but it wont let me. SO i tried a sudo DD command but nothing seems to happen
I guess i shouldnt tell people. I told one friend about the usb stick and how it worked well on my ATV1 next thing i know i got others saying hey can you do my apple tv as well.
I tried again to make a clone but the clone wont boot it says
updating kernel
overrighting flash/ mach kernal?

I tried making an image but i cant write to the other USB it says permission denied.
HELP
What were the DD commands you tried?
sudo dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sdc bs=4096 conv=notrunc,noerror

is there a way to just copy the info rather then clone the whole drive? Or maybe just copy over the XBMC folder itself with all the add ons?
i have tried several times and everytime i get that message about overwriting flash/ Mach Kernel.
so i was wondering how to just copy the XBMC folder over because everytime i get a permissions thing
i also cant see the XBMC folder when SSH into the USB. I use cyberduck and i see storage but there is no xbmc folder there like it should be. How can i see this?
I'm not sure I understand.

Regarding the dd command, try it without the "conv=notrunc,noerror" part and see what it says.

Copying the XBMC folder should work. I don't know why Cyberduck doesn't see it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to boot Xbmc Linux from USB atv1 wo affecting Mac os0