Which XBMC is the best?
I'm trying to build my home theater player and I always love XBMC. I've been using Rpi but it is slow. Which version/platform is the best and budget isn't really my concerned?

Thanks
Jeff
There are already many existing threads on hardware and OS recommendations, so I suggest doing a SEARCH on the forums first to read those threads, especially in Hardware for XBMC. "Best" depends on what criteria and features are most important to you. What may be "best" for one person may not be for someone else. Going from a Raspberry Pi to the polar opposite of "budget isn't really my concerned (sic)" seems to imply maybe you're not sure what "best" is either, so start by putting your thoughts down in writing with a list of the criteria and features that you must have, that are nice to have and that are not needed in your HTPC quest.
Agree with art. It very much depends on what you need. For example, app support for things like Netflix might be better in Windows, but development work typically starts in Linux. OSX is often a set-it-and-forget-it situation, but you might not have the best luck with 5.1 surround sound there.

So, start with what you need (preferably in the hardware thread) and we can go from there.
Thank you.

I don't really do much of development work. but I do want a complete media center that works like popcorn hour. I can watch all my files, bluray, netflix, hulu plus. pandora, etc. 7.1 or 5.1 is a must....
The Hardware for XBMC subforum is the best place to start if you want to see what specific hardware and OS others are using/recommending for requirements similar to yours.
Never understood people who said "budget isn't really a concern". In that case, buy the most expensive prebuilt PC you can find lol and have at it!
(2013-07-02, 21:01)tential Wrote: Never understood people who said "budget isn't really a concern". In that case, buy the most expensive prebuilt PC you can find lol and have at it!

That still doesn't solve my question using linux base or windows base. Thanks for your input tho! LOL
(2013-07-03, 14:31)jefftse Wrote: That still doesn't solve my question using linux base or windows base.

Personally I would go for Linux, but it depends more on your own preferences/experience, the hadware you select, & what you are running on it (e.g. Windows if you want Netflix).
The right choice depends on your needs and abilities. OpenELEC can turn supported hardware into and appliance, but can be limited with addons and customization.
Linux versions give you plenty of options and no cost for windows, but may be a challenge for those not linux savvy when it comes to custimization.
Windows is the most flexible when it comes to adding things like cable card tv tuners, has plenty of drivers for any hardware, and its usually easy to find answers to questions related to the OS because of the huge user base. But has lots of quirks as well.

But in the end, you should list your needs and desires before you move forward.
Alienware x51 Desktop with windows for a bluray player and netflix.
(2013-07-01, 18:39)jefftse Wrote: I'm trying to build my home theater player and I always love XBMC. I've been using Rpi but it is slow. Which version/platform is the best and budget isn't really my concerned?

Thanks
Jeff

Ive had/have many different platforms running xbmc....and to me the best way to go (especially if you want Netflix) is a windows system.
My main XBMC is running windows 8 and its fast, bulletproof, and has a great Netflix app available for Windows 8.

If you just want an appliance like box and no Netflix then something like openelec is probably the way to go.
I want to stream all my mkv, mp4, and movie video, bluray player playback (not really a big deal since i my ps3 will do it), also has hulu plus, pandora, netflix.

My concern with windows is that it's a very heavy OS. It's not as fast as openelec or linux base OS.
Netflix addon needs Windows or Android (uses Silverlight). Linux will not work.
I've had Linux setup for several years, and a couple of Macs running XBMc, but I prefer Windows now, because of Steam's big picture mode.
Kodi: Kodi 17.4, with Transparency!
50 TB Unraid Server: Docker Apps: SABnzbd, Sickrage, mariaDB
HTPC: Win10 (cause Steam), i7, GTX 1080
Watching on: Panasonic TC65-PS64 with lowend Sony 5.1 HTIB
Other devices: rMBP 15", MBA 13", nvidia shield
Windows is easiest for non techies, and because of it's wider user base has more software options than anything else (e.g. steam per above). However license cost + overhead cost of running windows (need faster system) means less bang for your buck (or more bucks for your bang).Smile
Taking the opposite approach to clock2113, after many years as a windows user I have recently switched to Linux, as my old hardware runs much faster under a light Linux distro than it did in windows.
I also like the fact of having all those utilities in a controlled software center rather than trawling through & downloading from untrusted sites.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which XBMC is the best?0