Synology MySQL vs regular MySQL
Until yesterday morning, I ran my XBMC database from my Synology NAS. My library has 300 films, about 30 TV shows with about 2000 episodes, so it's sizable, but compared to some I've seen, it's really nothing. Things were moving along with the Synology okay for about a year until I added about 50 new episodes of a show a couple days ago and then XBMC started performing horribly (15-30 second delays after selecting TV Shows or Movies, another long delay after selecting a TV show, another long delay after selecting a season, etc). The XBMC debug log didn't really show anything other than big gaps in time between entries.

After messing around with it for a couple hours, watching the PhpMyAdmin and Synology's performance (CPU and RAM never got above 20% at any time), I decided to install MySQL on another computer I have. Instead of rebuilding all the database schemata and content, I decided I'd see really quick if I had some data corruption and imported both from the Synology into the new MySQL instance. After 30 minutes, that was complete and I repointed my 3 XBMC boxes to the new MySQL instance. Performance has never been better. Navigating around (TV Shows, then a show, then a season, back out to the main menu, into movies, etc) is instantaneous. Even when I thought the Synology solution was good, I notice that the 2-3 second delays are gone. Network wise, there's nothing different. 1 Gbps, same subnet, same switch (the XBMC clients, the Synology and the new MySQL box). Other than MySQL performance, the Synology flies (CIFS, SMB, and NFS are lightning quick).

So I'm keeping the XBMC data on this new MySQL instance for now. I guess my question is, why is this the case? Anyone observe the same?

(I realize this isn't really an XBMC specific issue, but I'm having trouble locating something "official" that says, "Yes, MySQL on Synology is pretty slow." There were a few complaints, but no answers)
same here, i've switched from synology and neatgear nas with mysql to install it on my computer, no more waiting.
I've worked with databases for a long time (mostly SQL Server) and that indeed is strange, especially since you said CPU/RAM isn't even close to being maxxed out. The next thing I thought of is maybe look at some way to improve db performance - like indexing, but you said you copied the schema and data directly from the old (Synology NAS) to new (a standalone computer), and the problem is gone.

I have MySQL running on Synology NAS as well, and I wonder if I should move the database elsewhere too..
(2013-07-01, 20:56)ppic Wrote: same here, i've switched from synology and neatgear nas with mysql to install it on my computer, no more waiting.

Good to know it wasn't just me who saw this massive difference.

(2013-07-01, 21:31)darthdiablo Wrote: I've worked with databases for a long time (mostly SQL Server) and that indeed is strange, especially since you said CPU/RAM isn't even close to being maxxed out. The next thing I thought of is maybe look at some way to improve db performance - like indexing, but you said you copied the schema and data directly from the old (Synology NAS) to new (a standalone computer), and the problem is gone.

I have MySQL running on Synology NAS as well, and I wonder if I should move the database elsewhere too..

I'm curious what your results are if you do move the database to a standalone MySQL instance.
Interesting... So there are difference between normal mysql and Synoloy mySQL? Are we talking different versions? Or does Syno compile their own versions?
(2013-07-02, 16:13)Robotica Wrote: Interesting... So there are difference between normal mysql and Synoloy mySQL? Are we talking different versions? Or does Syno compile their own versions?

Not sure if they compile their own. The MySQL version on the Synology box, running DSM 4.2 (the latest), is 5.1.69. A bit old. Could be their own compile. The version on the standalone instance is 5.6.12.
the netgear mysql on my readynas rnd4000 nv2+ performances were worse than the syno one.
well from what i understand they do compile there own versions, i have seen the same problems with the syno sql
but going to try and make it use a med conf file for synolgy mysql
just not got round to it yet
thanks
martin
I too have been dealing with weird MySQL issues on a Synology, specially a "freeze" of xbmc for 30seconds to 2 minutes whenever I try to update the library. Also randomly when marking something watched, and sometimes when playing a file, the audio will start but the picture will freeze on the library selection screen for a similar amount of time before playing normally. Also PseudoTV is unusable which I assume is also related to its inability to smoothly access the db. I detailed my yet unsolved issue here

I've considered loading the db on some other machine, but haven't gotten around to it/found an appropriate machine to leave on at all times. But I wanted to add that during trouble shooting my problem, I noticed that when I tested "Update Library" with only one of my two sources loaded (TV Shows or Movies) I experienced no "freeze" (whether that one source was TV or Movies didn't matter) so it seems to perhaps be hitting some level of size that causes the issue. Also I thought I had solved my problems by enabling and increasing query cache size in my.cnf but it didn't fix the problem for long...

Edit: I also thought I would report that the CPU and RAM in system monitor of my Synology never go above 20-40%...
Just reporting that the info in this post fixed the random freezing on xbmc when I Updated the Library. From what I gather, the older version of MySQL that Synology compiled for their diskstations (that they have neglected to update) had a different default database engine, which is now innodb, and changing all the tables to using that database seems to have fixed the issue after a reboot.
seth
what exactly did you do
thanks
mbu
work so greatttt

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Synology MySQL vs regular MySQL0