Win XBMC Second Screen - now free and Open Source
Edit:

Hello,

I just made the app free and open source (MIT licence).

see post #4

Regards
Steve

Original post:

My favorite media center is XBMC. Because it is open source, it can be extended by anyone. Unfortunately there is no remote control app for XBMC in the Windows 8 Store that allows this. The existing apps are all closed source and none of it meet’s my requirements. So I startet to write my own. I hope to make it a community driven open source project, too. At the moment the source code is not public available. But I hope to change it soon, as the app gets more supporters.

Let me show some impressions of “XBMC Second Screen”.

You can download videos to your client. If you have VLC, it can be used to transcode the files in a compatible format.

The library displays, whether the video file is available. This is useful, if you have you media on an external drive, that is not always attached.

The app supports UPnP to control other media players.

The app’s home screen gives quick access to the current playing item.

The current release of the app is the first version. There is, many room for improvement. Please give your feedback on the UserVoice page. You will help to make it the best XBMC experience possible.

The majority of the source code is compatible with Windows Phone 8. It will be no problem, to create a version for it, as soon as the Windows 8 version is finished.

Download in Windows Store

Thank you so much for this!!! It's beautiful and so much better tan any of the other junk in the windows store. One question for you, is there any way to use this app as a remote control? i like being able to use the library like this but sometimes i need the actual remote. Thanks for this and keep up the good work!!!
Looks and works great. Hopefully you continue development on this.
Intel® Quad Core i5 Sandybridge @3.40GHz | ASRock Z775 Mobo 8GB DDR3 Ram | Logitech K400 Keyboard |
| Logitec Harmony 550 Remote| 46' Samsung LCD TV | Onkyo TX-S605 w/ Bose 5.1 Surround
Hello,

I just made the app free and open source (MIT licence GPL). Everyone is now invited to improve the app and client library.

Souce Code on GitHub

Since my initial post there has been many changes to the app:
  • complete redesign
  • moved to Windows 8.1
  • added remote control
  • auto setup
  • improved automatic .Net Client Generator
  • moved Client Library to XBMC 13 Gotham

Regards
Steve

Edit: Following a suggestion, I changed the license to GPL. This will ensure, that all improvements has to be shared with the community.
Thank you for your hard work
I don't even have a Windows Phone but I still must give kudos to you on this... very cool! Thanks for helping the community!
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
The app is now available for Windows Phone, too.

Download in Windows Phone Store
Thanks for the source code!

I'm new to metro app development and ran into a problem when creating the app package: the certificate is expired. Is there something I can do about it or do I need a new certificate from you?
Hi, when I select Play to --> this device on my windows tablet, what is is meant to do? Does it stream the video to my tablet? The reason why I'm asking is that whenever I try and use it, it just sends me to the start screen of windows. I'm using xbmc live, so i cant use vlc, could that be the reason?
Hello Steve. I have a SilerStone case with a 7" touch display. I run Kodi on it and would like to run XBMC seconed screen on the 7" display while kodi runs on the big screen. It does not seem to accept localhost as host name. Is there a way around this so i can use kodi and seconed screen on the same system.
(2013-07-05, 14:43)DerPate Wrote: Edit:

Hello,

I just made the app free and open source (MIT licence).

see post #4

Regards
Steve

Original post:

My favorite media center is XBMC. Because it is open source, it can be extended by anyone. Unfortunately there is no remote control app for XBMC in the Windows 8 Store that allows this. The existing apps are all closed source and none of it meet’s my requirements. So I startet to write my own. I hope to make it a community driven open source project, too. At the moment the source code is not public available. But I hope to change it soon, as the app gets more supporters.

Let me show some impressions of “XBMC Second Screen”.

ImageImage

You can download videos to your client. If you have VLC, it can be used to transcode the files in a compatible format.

The library displays, whether the video file is available. This is useful, if you have you media on an external drive, that is not always attached.

The app supports UPnP to control other media players.

The app’s home screen gives quick access to the current playing item.

The current release of the app is the first version. There is, many room for improvement. Please give your feedback on the UserVoice page. You will help to make it the best XBMC experience possible.

The majority of the source code is compatible with Windows Phone 8. It will be no problem, to create a version for it, as soon as the Windows 8 version is finished.

Download in Windows StoreDownload in Windows Store
Anyway to run second screen on the same system as kodi runs? I have a silverstone case with a 7" touch screen and would like to run seconed screen on the 7" display while running Kodi on main display on large monitor. Is this posible, localhost does not work as hostname is setup.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Second Screen - now free and Open Source1