Win Difference between playing file and playing movie
Hi

I am noticing a very strange behaviour.

When I play a film by going Videos -> Files -> [source] -> Film Name -> film.avi (i.e. playing the file directly) it works absolutely fine.

However, when I go to the movie list using "Movies" functionality and then select a title from there, I get a very long pause (usually lasting about 2 mins) before the film starts to play.

What is going on here?

Here is a log file: http://pastebin.com/RkJM708H

The film "1408" was played using the first method and therefore worked fine. The "A mighty heart" was played using the movie list and took a very long time to start. It is not these particular films, I can replicate this error with any film.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
James
Remove the following movie from your library and either delete the file itself or move it to some other drive location so that XBMC doesn't see it:
Quote:21:17:03 T:4940 WARNING: could not find codec parameters for smb://JAMES-SERVER/media_lib/hd1/media/video/films/10 Things I Hate About You (1999)/10 Things I Hate About You.bin
I do see a few of those similar errors and was wondering whether that was the problem. I'll do as you say for all those files that are affected but what exactly is going on here?

Thanks,
James
It's thrashing trying to figure out what kind of video file it is before finally giving up (the message above) and moving on to the next item in your library. If you have any others like that in your library, you should get rid of them too. See if that makes any difference in terms of playing videos from your library (Movies) view.
Excellent, that seems to have worked. Removing all the files which have codec parameter warnings allows the other files to run properly. It is a bit of shame to have to remove those files though. Is this a bug that needs to be submitted somewhere?
Were those removed files playable in Files mode? I suspect not. If you can re-encode them to a valid format, that should resolve the issue in library mode as well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Difference between playing file and playing movie0