ProRes 422 files converted from AIC Very Choppy on Mac
Bottom line: AIC files that I've converted to ProRes 422 files on my Mac are not playing smoothly at all in xmbc. A screenshot of the overlay is included below.

More background: I am fairly new to xbmc, but I am now running it on a brand new mac mini using Mountain Lion. It appears that my version of xbmc is the latest one, Frodo 12.2. My main reason for running the setup is to be able to watch home videos of my kids that I've shot over the previous years in the theater room. Over the years I've had various cameras, and I've spent the last 2 weeks trying to get a single player that can read all the formats that old cameras have shot. The codec that's given me the biggest headache in playing on xbmc has been the AIC (apple intermediate codec) that I used unwittingly when importing video into iMovie in 2009 and 2010. Since then I've been using FCPX for importing, and these files don't seem to be an issue. I've used Apple's Compressor 4 to convert all of the AIC-encoded files to ProRes 422 (the standard one, not HQ or Proxy or LQ). Some of them seem to work fine, but there's a large subset that are VERY choppy, like a stutter every second or two. These files seem to play fine in Quicktime X and Movist as far as I can tell (I haven' tested every one of them, but those I've test seem to run fine). I cannot figure where the problem lies in xbmc, and I'd like to have one player that can play all my files. I can't tell if it's a configuration issue or a problem with xbmc not being able to read all ProRes 422 files. Aren't they are supposed to be the same? (I mean, aren't all ProRess 422 files supposed to be able to be read the same?) Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Below I've posted a link to a snapshot of the codec overlay on the screen while it's playing a choppy file. Using a related thread on this forum, I'm deducing from the info in the overlay that my processor is not overtaxed, that there's plenty of memory, and it is seeing it as a ProRes 422 file, but for some reason it's still choppy.

http://www.kennethturley.com/photo.jpg

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ProRes 422 files converted from AIC Very Choppy on Mac0