OS X Problems connecting to SMB servers?
Hello Smile

I have used xbmc since my first xbox back in the day, and it is the best program I have ever used. Now I am using it on my mediacenter pc, which runs windows 7, and connects to anther pc running windows 8. Never been any problems connecting.

But now I installed the latest stable on my macbook pro, running the latest osx, 10.8.4.

When I am trying to add my windows 8 smb share, I get prompted for username and password, and after filling that in, and click ok or whatever the button says, I just get the same box again, telling me to insert username and pass... And yes, they are correct Smile

What can cause this? As I said I have never had any problems on any of my pcs that I have run xbmc on before.

Heeelp Smile

regards
SM
are u running crystabuntu? all known linux distros from my understanding have issues with smb/afp and thus means u may need to do something in the global settings to add ur shares thru that,

and this is what im gonna try from the wiki on smb and osx as ive had the same issues!!

You have now enabled Windows Sharing on Mac OS X for the specific accounts you enabled in the Sharing panel. If you want to give public access (i.e. no password required) to shares you need to enable "Allow guests to connect to shared folders" for the Guest account in System Preferences under Accounts. Now you can configure this share by adding a media source in the XBMC GUI.
2 Mac OS X 10.7 and up

Apple changed their SMB/Samba server in Mac OS X 10.7 to only use the SMB 2.0 protocol (with no 1.0 fallback), which broke compatibility with XBMC until XBMC v12.1 came out. In other words, update to XBMC v12.1 or higher to regain SMB compatibility with OS X 10.7 (and up) SMB servers.

i cant even get a username/password box to pop up due to linux not communicating well w/smb

Users still using XBMC v11 can use a tool such as SMBUp to regain SMB access on OS X 10.7 (and up).
(2013-07-13, 01:54)j2048b Wrote: are u running crystabuntu? all known linux distros from my understanding have issues with smb/afp and thus means u may need to do something in the global settings to add ur shares thru that,

Crystalbuntu is only for Apple TV 1, and Linux distros have no issues with SMB specifically. AFP sucks on all platforms in XBMC.
(2013-07-13, 01:22)salvemeum Wrote: Hello Smile

I have used xbmc since my first xbox back in the day, and it is the best program I have ever used. Now I am using it on my mediacenter pc, which runs windows 7, and connects to anther pc running windows 8. Never been any problems connecting.

But now I installed the latest stable on my macbook pro, running the latest osx, 10.8.4.

When I am trying to add my windows 8 smb share, I get prompted for username and password, and after filling that in, and click ok or whatever the button says, I just get the same box again, telling me to insert username and pass... And yes, they are correct Smile

What can cause this? As I said I have never had any problems on any of my pcs that I have run xbmc on before.

Heeelp Smile

regards
SM

Can you get us a debug log (wiki)?
(2013-07-13, 02:15)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2013-07-13, 01:54)j2048b Wrote: are u running crystabuntu? all known linux distros from my understanding have issues with smb/afp and thus means u may need to do something in the global settings to add ur shares thru that,

Crystalbuntu is only for Apple TV 1, and Linux distros have no issues with SMB specifically. AFP sucks on all platforms in XBMC.

weird as i am running openelec xbmc and cannot for the life of me add any sources using ftp, afp, or smb.... care to elabirate, perhaps i can fix this as well?
Would also need a debug log (wiki) to see what the issue is for that. Mind starting a new thread for this issue, as it is likely different from OP's issue?
How do I make a debug log then ?
Click on the debug log (wiki) link.
(2013-07-13, 02:35)Ned Scott Wrote: Would also need a debug log (wiki) to see what the issue is for that. Mind starting a new thread for this issue, as it is likely different from OP's issue?

will do ned and thank you, appreciate the help!

i actually reinstalled original os into atv1 and xbmc eden in order to access shares on mac pro, works wonderfully, but for some reason openelec and crystal both will not connect.. ill start a new thread and get that log here in a few!!

UPDATE:

i must have needed to restart the mac because now all afp sources are comming thru!! yay!
salvemeum, in your log it looks like you have an @ symbol in your SMB share username. I'm not sure entirely, but that could possibly be an issue. When XBMC is on Windows then it can use the native Windows SMB client, but on other OSes XBMC uses its own internal SMB client, so that might explain why it only works on Windows.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problems connecting to SMB servers?0